Portable apps

Jay_Stealth

Soon i will be back at UNI and one of the most annoying things is logging on to a generic, locked down computer at uni or the workplace and not being able to do what you sat down to do in the first place. Today i have discovered something that will eliminate that.

Portable apps!!

What Is A Portable App?

portable - carried or moved with ease

app - a computer program like a web browser or word processor

A portable app is a computer program that you can carry around with you on a portable device and use on any Windows computer. When your USB flash drive, portable hard drive, iPod or other portable device is plugged in, you have access to your software and personal data just as you would on your own PC. And when you unplug, none of your personal data is left behind.

My Recommended Portable Apps

7-ZIP - An archiving tool

Abiword - A Microsoft word processing tool

Clamwin - Portable anti-virus software

Firezilla - A capable FTP client

FollowMeIPLite - A handy app to display your external ip

FoxIt - A portable PDF reader

FTP Server Lite - A portable FTP server

Great News - A highly efficent news/rss reader

Miranda - A multi IM + IRC capable client

NVU - Portable web editor

VLC - A handy media player

Firefox - Portable firefox. (cont below)

---------

Pstart - This will sit in your taskbar and act as a handy launcher for all of these tools.

example.jpg

You can download of these files ready zipped from here

Then simply install to x:\Apps\ (x being the letter of your portable drive). Load PStart last and add the above applications manually.

NB When adding the applications to PStart add the portable version . There will be two different EXE versions of the application I.E. Firefox.exe and Firefox_Portable.exe.

Improving Firefox further

So now you've made your applications portable, you'll want to take your bookmarks, blog, notebook and everything else with you. These are my suggestions for extensions for Firefox:

Fasterfox - Caches and preloads pages thus speeding firefox up. Ability to tweak network settings

Foxmarks - Will store your bookmarks serverside so when you load your portable firefox you will always have your bookmarks!

IE Tab - Embeds internet explorer into a Firefox tab for viewing a Firefox incompatible page

PDF Download - Allows you to choose to download the PDF or view it in a tab

Performancing - Allows you to post to your blog(s) from within Firefox!

Video Downloader - Allows you to download embedded video

Stumble Upon - Will revolutionise the way you surf. Randomly stumbles the net according to your preferences

You can download all of these zipped from here

Google Notebook - Store snippets of information serverside so you always have that important info with you + the choice to make publically available.

Available here

Google Browser Sync - Will resync your Firefox Tabs. IE. If i browse at home and leave to go to UNI when i load my portable Firefox, the same pages that i were browsing at home would appear!

Available here

Please note that when you install these extensions, that you install them to your portable version of firefox and not your local one.

Edited by Jay_Stealth

I have a USB drive with a ramload tiny 98SE and all my other programs on it. No need to even use the guest computer's OS, I boot from the USB drive and have my own environment to work with (not the best, as the drivers are rather generic and don't produce maximum performance with all hardware).

Fasterfox is bad, and will get you banned from -many- websites due to the "prefetching".
The IE tweak that removes the connection limit will probably do the same; I keep max connections at 32, but for smaller sites with weaker servers I lower it down to around 10. FlashGet with 255 connections/file is also hated by many sites :wacko:

• 7 months later...