Stop Error!

M1710User

Hi

Im new here and am just wondering if you might be able to help me with this little problem:

My System: Dell XPS M1710, XP Pro SP2.

When I turn on my laptop I quite often - at seemingly random intervals - get the so-called Windows 'Blue Screen of Death' containing the following 'Stop'-message:

Stop 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x00000000, 0xBACCAFD8, 0xBACCACD4).

This behaviour began shortly after I had removed the Microsoft KB917422 update from my PC. Reinstalling this security update did not make the problem go away, however. Whether or not this problem has any connection with the aforementioned update is unknown, but I have not made any other modifications to my system in ages - apart from playing Warcraft and surfing the Internet.

I have searched for the stop-message in various places on the web but have not found any reference that is related to my particular situation.

I would greatly appreciate any help - or a reference as to where I might go to find it!

Thanks a bunch!

Kasper Madsen

Not sure if this will help but here is what i'll do:

- make an image of the installation in case of there is a problem after applying service pack 2.

- reinstall Service pack2 and then after reboot reinstall all security updates since sp2.

Microsoft doesn't give much information about this stop error : i only found this with might be usefull.

But perhaps someone like Cluberti could analyse a dump.

Thanks for the reply.

But my laptop came with SP2 installed and there has never been any problems with it, and my XP CD includes SP2 in the installation. Can the service pack really spontaneously generate errors like this, since I've had it installed all along?

The link you've provided suggests that the problem only occurs after upgradng to XP - which has always been my OS - so it doesn't seem to apply to me.

Any help still appreciated!

That STOP 0x7E error is showing some kind of access denied by a kernel-mode thread, so it's possible you have a driver issue. Would you be able to configure your machine for a complete memory dump so it can be analyzed? The memory.dmp file should tell what driver or process is causing the crashes...

The first thing I do when I get a Stop error is search for the error code on Microsoft.com. This one gets 6 results. What filename is it showing? Most of the results relate to installing Windows, and one mentions removing hardware unexpectedly (I've had that cause problems too).

"At random" may in fact mean at some event you hadn't noticed, eg booting/shutting down with a certain device connected, certain times of day, battery life, etc.

Thank you for your replies.

I am not sure how to do a memory dump, but if it will help I will try googling for the procedure..

There are a few facts I should probably have outlined about my config:

As mentioned in the first post, I have not made any changes to my system in ages - like upgrading Windows, adding devices, installing drivers/programs, adding or removing hardware.

The error appears both after a quick restart following hours of gaming and after having been turned off for the entire night - so overheating seems unlikely.

Battery level should not be an issure either since I have my laptop on external power at all times.

Sadly, there is no file name showing in the Stop-error - only the error code provided above.

Microsoft suggest looking at the Event Manager as well, which I did, but it lists no hint of this error whatsoever.

One alteration I DID make, however, is to remove the so-called KB917422 security update from Microsoft, since it was for some unknown reason causing my electroning encyclopedia to stop functioning (this is an issue the the publisher of the encyclopedia is now negotiating with Microsoft, since it has happened to all users of this particular encyclopedia).

Shortly after having removed this update (perhaps 1 day I think), the Stop-errors began. So I thought to Hell with the encyclopedia and reinstalled the security update from Windows Update, but this did not make the errors go away. Whether or not it was actually triggered by the removal of this update, I don't know.

I should add that:

The Stop error never appears while I'm in Windows - only upon reboots or when I turn on my laptop.

And when I get the error, I can usually just reboot once or twice and then it boots into Windows.

I'm at a total loss here.. Thanks for helping out!

I have now followed this procedure, although I am unsure of whether or not it is the correct way to do it?

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click System, and then click the Advanced tab.

3. In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings, and then select the Write an event to the system log check box.

And I set the 'write debugging information' to 'Complete Memory Dump'...

Now I just wait for the next time I get a stop error or...?

• 4 weeks later...

I get the problem 100% of the time, except when booting into safe mode.

The error codes from the BSOD are as follows; for me, there was also no file listed:

0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xBAD88174, 0xF78DDD44, 0xF78DDA40)

0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xBAC0B174, 0xF78DDD44, 0xF78DDA40) - After disabling tons of services.

No eventvwr errors, and no problems with devices in the device manager. All BIOS options configured optimally(USB legacy keyboard support OFF, all BIOS shadowing off, caching off, etc.)

I have tried using nLite to integrate drivers, and just integrating a RAID driver with a floppy. Both methods fail, so I have to assume the problem is with a Windows driver, and not one of the ones I am using.

I'm going to enable memory dumps, and after that try installing to a single drive. If I still get the BSOD, then something in Windows is screwed on my system.

FYI, I have a Biostar TForce 550, Athlon X2 3800+, and 4 Seagate 320GB drives in RAID.

I get the problem 100% of the time, except when booting into safe mode.

The error codes from the BSOD are as follows; for me, there was also no file listed:

0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xBAD88174, 0xF78DDD44, 0xF78DDA40)

0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xBAC0B174, 0xF78DDD44, 0xF78DDA40) - After disabling tons of services.

I'm going to enable memory dumps, and after that try installing to a single drive. If I still get the BSOD, then something in Windows is screwed on my system.

Honestly, I'm betting the kernel upgrade in the update you installed and rolled back caused one of your drivers or installed FSF drivers to go haywire. Since Windows works without dumping when you are in safe mode (which is the only true way to run windows without any 3rd party code), it's not likely that Windows itself is the culprit (anything is possible, but the likelihood is VERY low).

I'd like to take a look at a complete memory dump from that machine the next time it happens, because it's probably a kernel-mode file system filter driver (or a service or running process calling into a kernel-mode fsf driver) causing the issue. Note that the 0xc0000005 value in the error code basically means that either the kernel denied access or execution of a kernel mode thread, or a running thread attempted to modify a protected area of kernel memory.

Edited by cluberti

Err...I'm not the same person as above. :P

I resolved my issue by using brute force...that is, I tried to eliminate every single possibility. Flipped floppy disks, floppy drives, used alternate IDE/floppy cables, flipped DVD-RW to CD-ROM, and disconnected all non-essential devices.

Nomatter which floppy drive I used, just reading off the floppies would corrupt them; the next time a RAID driver was copied off, it would be filled with garbage and useless. :o I had to use several floppies and trade them out between file reads. The only reason I can come up with for that happening is some obscure motherboard problem that I've never encountered before... :wacko:

Now that Windows is actually up and running though, the system seems to be performing quite well, at least in benchmarks. :) Just pray I never have to set up another RAID array on that motherboard again! :angel

Edited by Kramy