Speech Recognition

Spyvie

Has anyone played with speech recognition in 5600? Very cool if only for the novelty, though I’m not ready to throw away my mouse and keyboard just yet. You can open and close programs, save files, arrange windows and dictate text just by yelling at your microphone… it actually works.

Years ago I worked with some blind users on windows 3.1, they were pretty limited in what they could do with good hands and expensive proprietary software. Now speech recognition comes free with Windows.

The wonders never cease.

it works a lot better than that for me using a $4 desk mike.

Unsurprisingly so. People love to bash and laugh at Microsoft for every little thing that goes wrong (although it was a bit funny this time). The only thing you can really blame 'em for here is lack of preparation. Their gain on the mic was WAY high, so it didn't understand anything... But if setup properly, it supposedly works fine (haven't tried it myself)

I gave it a try last night, and I think it's cool. Although my experience with it is similar to that presentation. It's not quite as bad but it has issues. For example outside of that demo I have yet to be able to get it to open a single program. In fact the only voice command I made it do correctly was open the start menu. I also had quite a bit of trouble with it's demo/training. Had to repeat most thigns at least a few times before it would work. Quite often it only worked after I swore at it or would say "die" which confused me.

They need to work together with the dragon natural speaking 9 team. As their voice recognition is almost perfect and works great for me. If that can provide the 99% accuracy dragon natural speaking has into windows then it could actually gain praticle use in computers.

Till then this is a step in the right direction but far to annoying for anyone to really use as a way of controlling the entire computer.

Edited by Coco