SP1 performance issue corrected?

Evan

There had been mentions in the past that SP1 degraded system performance for some people. There was a fix released (Q815411) but it's not publicly available and I think it doesn't address the problem sucessfully.

I am using a Windows CD with SP1 slipstreamed into it and I would like to know more information on this subject. Is the SP1 slowdown real? Which users/software/hardware does it affect? Is it severe? And, is there no solution so far other than to avoid SP1 altogether?

I just installed SP1 with my installation CD that I oredred and on the reboot I had the fastest boot ever. The little squares passed by only 3 1/2 times before it dissapered. I recieved it 4 days ago and installed it yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At the end of the Knowledge Base Article:

Note This article was revised on 4/12/2003 to more accurately reflect the specific purpose and details of the fix. The original title of this article gave the false impression that this was a problem facing many, if not most, Windows XP users who installed SP1. In fact, the problem affects a very small number of customers who are using a privately designed program that exhibits behavior that the hotfix was created to address. (This article was previously published under the title: “Programs Run Slower After You Install Windows XP SP-1”. The contents of the hotfix itself have not changed, only the Knowledge Base documentation was revised for improved accuracy and clarity.