Vista RC1 - UAC still unusable

charleski

I've been trying out a couple of AV players on RC1 since WMP11 is still as unfriendly and inconfigurable as ever.

So I install PowerDVD and try to copy over some skin files to the program's directory. UAC pops up asking for permission, I give it and... nothing is copied!

I install bsplayer and try downloading some skin files into the relevant directory from Firefox. UAC doesn't bother popping up, the file just goes nowhere.

I turn off UAC and restart, bingo, everything now works as it should.

UAC is a key feature and this is a Release Candidate, the time of Beta fix-it-tomorrow promises is past. This is not ready for prime-time. This sort of rubbish should not be happening. The idea of UAC is fine, but when you explicitly give permission and nothing happens, or when you aren't even given the option of authorising the write into a program directory something is seriously broken.

I don't know why your ranting about something Micrsoft was good enough to allow you to TEST and give feedback to the proper place. Beta always has a few bugs that's why people are testing it. It's a release canidate not the finished product. :hello:

Wow, constructive reply!

Do you understand the distinction between 'beta' and 'release candidate'? Clearly not. Small bugs like improper font encodings in an RC? Sure. Major bugs like a failure at the level of file transfer permissions? That's a problem.

To set things a bit straight... RC1 (Release Candidate) is the FINAL beta release before it's put into production, technically it's no longer beta it's RC! A Release Candidate is 'suppose' to have every known major bug resolved, before it's release. Does Microsoft play the game? Nope... Microsoft think they can change the rules and make the ignorant even more dumber.

UAC and UNC Paths 'should' be recognizeable well before RC1's release, Yet, it's still broken. This is a Big problem and it seems Microsoft overlooked one of the most obvious issues. Heck Vista doesnt even recognize my Domain Trusts and forests even when it's specificly enforced.

Though I have to admitt... Vista has a luring feel; even for a net admin.

Edited by epic

why do you guys keep saying that rc means its not a beta? if its not a beta then its the final! theres no point in an rc if its the final. the rc just means its a candiate. candidate! meaning that its a possible final, but there may still be some things wrong with it, which there is. and if ppl arnt telling MS whats wrong with it, then how is it supposed to be fixed for the final?

So, whats the point in calling the beginning of development Alpha? You young pups think you can change the rules...

RC has NEVER been considered a full fledged beta... it's always been considered the final stage before production. It could take 2-3 releases until the final RC is even available. Besides, a Release Candidate is tweaking the small bugs and renduring issues, not fixing big issues that 'should' have been resolved during beta such as UNC / UAC; let alone the huge domain issues.

Where are you getting your idea's from? I work with Top Breed developers and we have always submitted bugs to Microsoft, not just us but hundreds of thousands, but Microsoft has their own idea's and never listens completely. I'm starting to think my time has gone to waste (hell, that's every month I deal with Microsoft), the linux community works and listens better than Microsoft does, besides we're speaking about a Corporation that plagiarizes and copies idea's from other developers claiming it as their own. Please...

Edited by epic

nice article charli,

i agree, vista has still a bit of a way to go, there are some things that they need to really work on, this really should have been listed as Beta 3 according to the way MS has always released older software. but since this is the RC tree now and they have left the beta tree for builds it is a release candidate in their eyes.

So, whats the point in calling the beginning of development Alpha? You young pups think you can change the rules...
lol ahh you old guys and your set ways :) like you said though, there will be several RCs before they get to the final RC, just look at 5356 (or what ever build that was), we will see another build or 2 before they hit the final RC, s*** just have to move fast. that is all. the feet dragging on things will have to stop.
Heck Vista doesnt even recognize my Domain Trusts and forests even when it's specificly enforced.

what domain issues do you have? i have 7 vista machines running in my forest right now with no UNC or gpo issue, domain trusts are enforced also.

what domain issues do you have? i have 7 vista machines running in my forest right now with no UNC or gpo issue, domain trusts are enforced also.

I don't know about him, but I have had issues with DNC paths right now. I've just got it setup on a home network. So no domain. But it has a hell of a time with UNC paths. If I go to network places it can see all the computers on the local network (192.168.1.x) but it can only connect to about half of them. The rest it just claims it can't find them. Although I can browse to the other ones if I use there IP addresses. It's very annoying since it works just fine in XP but they broke it in vista.

Oddly enough all computers vista can't browse to by there name have no trouble browsing to the vista box using it's name.

Urge isn't spyware, rather a music store. Not sure whether you can choose to have no music store but pretty sure you can choose a different one. Urge is default since a deal with Microsoft for WMP11. MSN Music is the default in WMP10.

In response to the PowerDVD problem, there are a few items to run as an administrator after which PowerDVD 7 will work properly with its internet functions.

I struggled a bit with it. When installing, right click the installer and choose run as administrator.

After installing, from the start menu item to register the program, right click and choose properties, then open folder to view target (formerly find target). Right click the highlighted file and choose properties, then click on the Compatibility tab. Click to check on the Run this program as an administrator, apply and ok.

Do the same Compatibility run as administrator thing to PowerDVD.exe or any of the shortcuts to it. (But the registration file needs you to do it to the exe itself so that's why I told you to "Find Target" the thing.)

Open Windows Firewall from the control panel and add PowerDVD to the programs that have permissions to be "unblocked."

Now PowerDVD 7 will be able to be upgraded to Deluxe, register, download the skins, and show the advertisements in it's options tab.

If you already activated it before doing all this you will need to activate and register again as it forgets everything you did to it while in non-administrative mode.

This way UAC can stay enabled and PowerDVD can do all its stuff.

I agree that it is still a work in progress (UAC). Moving files around from my user folders to the program files folders is nearly impossible, myself or with WinZip or WinRAR. I needed to disable UAC temporarilly to get some programs installed that don't come with installers. UAC wouldn't let me unzip them to the Program Files folder I made to house them, nor permit me to create shortcuts to them in the Start Menu. Disabling UAC enabled me to do it, then after reenabling UAC they all worked properly.