Space management tool?

Messerschmitt

I would like to know if there is any program that shows you exactly how much MB's are used on the disk and eventualy clean?

I mean, i'm a bit worried

I remember I had 4.11 GB free on drive C about 2-3 months ago

Now I have 3.92 GB free on drive C + I have uninstalled Adobe Premiere + a couple of small utilitary programs + deactivated the hibernate space (so another 512 mb recovered). So this is about 1 GB lost, somehow, somwere. I did not installed anything new on C.

I realy don't want to format because somehow the free space is getting thiner and thiner and I have no idea why.

Thank you very much

My page file remained the same, 1250M.

And I have deleted all the temporary files found in Windows and Documents.

That's only a tiny part of the junk that builds up on a Windows HD.

There's at least 20 different folders where windows put its garbage.

Then there's the stuff that your Programs keep in their own cache folders.

Even after people tell me that they've deleted their temporary internet files,

I can usually delete up to another 2 gig's of pure crapola from their HD's.

When they see me do it, they are totally blown away at what I find and remove.

You need to run a much more agressive cleanup routine than just deleting temp files.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)

SequoiaView is a great program to find out what space has gone where. It gives a graphical view of the files (bigger blocks = bigger files), and when you hover over the blocks, it'll tell you what file is what.

Very very good program. :)

If you're using XP, you could also disable system restoration and enable it again afterwards.

Also if your C: drive is in FATor FAT32 format, you should do a chkdsk as FAT and FAT32 can report wrong space when there are errors.

How can I know what else I have to delete then?

I didn't like those canned cleanup programs because they didn't really address my personal "trash collection" problems. So I wrote myself "XPCleanup.bat" that would specificly get what I wanted removed.

Just for reference purposes ONLY, here's my XPCleanup.bat program.

@Echo off

cls

deltree /y C:\temp\*.*

deltree /y "c:\Windows\temp\*.*"

deltree /y "c:\Windows\WUTemp\*.*"

deltree /y "c:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\cookies\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\*.*"

Rem: No need to duplicate the following section for each registered User

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\Cookies\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\History\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\recent\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\Local Settings\cookies\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\userdata\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\Local Settings\History"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\Local Settings\History\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Cookies\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\History\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\Local Settings\History\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\Cookies\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\temp\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\$VAULT$.AVG\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Regclean\*.reg"

deltree /y "C:\windows\prefetch\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Program Files\CallWave\Calls\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\DEFAULT.HKJ\Cache\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\windows\system32\WgaTray.exe

deltree /y "C:\windows\system32\dllcache\WgaTray.exe

The last two lines, keep WGA off of my HD. :thumbup

This is for Reference purposes ONLY, and NO-One should try to run this, unedited on their own PC.

After running this batch file, I can run Window's own "Disk Cleanup" and it finds absolutely NOTHING!

Deltree.exe is not a file normally found in Windows XP. It must be downloaded from my web site or glommed from a system running 98/SE or ME. (and put into the C:\windows\system32\ folder.

Check My Webpage

for both, a copy of my generic XPCleanup.bat program and the Deltree.exe file.

Since it's a DOS Batch file, you can open it with Wordpad and edit it to keep something you don't want removed, like your cookies, or add a line to clean out some cache folder peculiar to your own PC.

But do you see my point? It takes more than just a few lines to really clean up a PC's HD.,,,because windows likes to keep multiple copies of its junk. Go figure!

I have a shortcut to this batch file in my Startup folder for a daily cleanup.

It's also a part of my Weekly Maintenance Routine, something I share with all my customers.

I give them a more Generic version. (the one downloadable from my website.)

Now, "Clean Up Yor Mess!" :thumbup:lol::lol:

Cheers!

Andromeda43 ;)

Edited by Andromeda43

Hello alltogether!

IMHO the command

rd /s /q ...

can substitute

deltree /y ...

So you have no need to grab out deltree from an Win 98 system ... maybe such one is not really easy to find <g> ...

Greetings

Reinhard

Don't you ever believe it :no:

Deltree can be made to remove an entire tree or just a certain file within the tree.

That's where it's true power comes in. That's why Microsoft wrote it in the first place.

I won't run any PC without it.

Getting it is as simple as downloading it from My Webpage.

Don't make something difficult out of something so simple.

And please, for those who come here for accurate information, don't make false statements on this or any other board.

My program is written especially to take advantage of the power of "Deltree.exe".

Get it and use it.

Cheers Maties!

Andromeda43 B)

Even after people tell me that they've deleted their temporary internet files,

I can usually delete up to another 2 gig's of pure crapola from their HD's.

When they see me do it, they are totally blown away at what I find and remove.

You need to run a much more agressive cleanup routine than just deleting temp files.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)

Yeah, I know of all that too. CCleaner takes care of all of it, including most of the popular 3rd party applications as well.

• 5 weeks later...
I would like to know if there is any program that shows you exactly how much MB's are used on the disk and eventualy clean?

I mean, i'm a bit worried

I remember I had 4.11 GB free on drive C about 2-3 months ago

Now I have 3.92 GB free on drive C + I have uninstalled Adobe Premiere + a couple of small utilitary programs + deactivated the hibernate space (so another 512 mb recovered). So this is about 1 GB lost, somehow, somwere. I did not installed anything new on C.

I realy don't want to format because somehow the free space is getting thiner and thiner and I have no idea why.

Thank you very much

Could be your System Restore takes up so much spaces on your hd..Have you tried disable it or remove any olds restore points?

My personal favorite is the use of "deltree" to delete individual files ;) it's sooooooo much more powerful than "del"

I agree with the point that it's just an opinion. I would rather write a batch file using something I know is automatically available via the commandline than downloading extra files. Of course this is just my opinion.

Edited by beaker