Dual NICs in windows vista?

Coco

Has anyone here managed to get dual NIC's going with windows vista? So far all I've managed to produce with two NIC's is a lot of really confusing and random errors with vista. Below is an image showing my issues.

As you can see in the top window vista clearly see's that I have two NIC's and recognizes them both. It will even happily let me know if one of them is unplugged or not. But if you look at the other two windows you'll notice windows refuses to recognize the second NIC. It only shows the Telus NIC and things associated with it.

This leads me to believe the other NIC is deactivated but it's not, as you can see in the top window it's completely active. At one point I thought it was messing things up due to conflicts with two fake IPv6 adatpers so I disabled ipv6 on the second NIC and that didn't seem to help.

What's really getting to me is no matter what command I use I can't find the second NIC from the command line.

Anyways thanks for reading. Let me know if any of you have had more luck tryign to make two NIC's work.

Edited by Coco

Has anyone here managed to get dual NIC's going with windows vista? So far all I've managed to produce with two NIC's is a lot of really confusing and random errors with vista. Below is an image showing my issues.

As you can see in the top window vista clearly see's that I have two NIC's and recognizes them both. It will even happily let me know if one of them is unplugged or not. But if you look at the other two windows you'll notice windows refuses to recognize the second NIC. It only shows the Telus NIC and things associated with it.

This leads me to believe the other NIC is deactivated but it's not, as you can see in the top window it's completely active. At one point I thought it was messing things up due to conflicts with two fake IPv6 adatpers so I disabled ipv6 on the second NIC and that didn't seem to help.

What's really getting to me is no matter what command I use I can't find the second NIC from the command line.

Anyways thanks for reading. Let me know if any of you have had more luck tryign to make two NIC's work.

My MB has two interfaces, and happily its never been an issue. (yes, they both work.) As to command line stuff, I'm sure you've already tried ipconfig...?

My MB has two interfaces, and happily its never been an issue. (yes, they both work.) As to command line stuff, I'm sure you've already tried ipconfig...?

Did you even look at the image I posted at the bottom of my message? It clearly shows me using ipconfig.

Also, when you say "they both work" what do you mean? Have you got them both plugged into a network and doing something? Because merely having two hasn't given me any issues. I've only had issues with trying to use both of them. Using just one is simple.

Edited by Coco

Did you even look at the image I posted at the bottom of my message? It clearly shows me using ipconfig.

Also, when you say "they both work" what do you mean? Have you got them both plugged into a network and doing something? Because merely having two hasn't given me any issues. I've only had issues with trying to use both of them. Using just one is simple.

Sorry, I tend to not look at links. Call me paranoid, but I'm not behind a proper FW at home... So the question was asked, and answered. 'Nuff said in that regard.

And yes, I use a DFI MB here at home, have a Nvidia interface that goes to the outside world and a Yukon interface that goes to my NAS box. I backup and restore to / from my NAS. Useful when doing re-installs, or switching versions, etc. Also useful when I download a new version of something from the 'net that I want to use later.

Hmmm, that's a similar setup to what I was trying to do. Now if only I could figure out what's going on. I think it has something to do with the compartment stuff. I think my other NIC is in another compartment but I don't really know what that means as this compartment stuff is new in vista.

OK I played with it some more and I've figured some thigns out. First of all my half present NIC seems to be an actual error with vista. As I found I can make it appear properly if I uninstall it's driver and reinstall it. Although if I dare rename the NIC away from "Local area connection" I had best not start it's name with an S or else it will half disapear again. Very weird error.

Also weird, and I'm not sure if this is an error but It seems to allow you to configure an infinite amount of IPv4 ip's to a single NIC, For example here is my current result of an ipconfig command.

Ethernet adapter LAN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.134
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.134
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Telus:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ab.hsia.telus.net
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::50b6:5b41:e1e5:ca4%10
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 142.179.xxx.xxx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 142.179.xxx.xxx

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection*:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::200:5efe:142.179.209.184%17
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:8eb3:d1b8::8eb3:d1b8
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 3:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.134%19
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.2.134%19
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

• 4 weeks later...

Did you try bridging the NICs (the connections)? Vista will only use one NIC at a time for the most part, if you bridge them however it should use both.

Both NIC's will show as installed and 'active' but one will not work. It doesn't means theres a problem, it just means that Vista chose one over the other when they were detected and installed. Generally the one that will grab an IP address first will be the one Vista chooses as the dominate NIC and then keep it that way.

One more thing too, check the IRQ's being used for the cards if bridging doesn't fix it. There may be some sort of contention for the IRQ even tho it doesn't show up as a problem.

I have one machine with two NIC's and i had to bridge to get them both to work.

Edited by Spooky