OEMScan - Automated Multi Manufacture Pre-Activation Utility

Just wondering if there would be an advantage to running this from DetachedProgram rather than svcpack or cmdlines. With some things in Windows setup, the earlier the better.

RIS install + run @DetachedProgram = :thumbup

ristndrd.sif

[GuiUnattended]
DetachedProgram=".\system32\cmd.exe"
Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%I\$OEM$) DO (IF EXIST %J (%J\NirCmd.exe exec hide %J\OCA_MRK.CMD)))"

OCA_MRK.CMD

@FOR /F %%a IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %%b IN (%%a) DO (IF EXIST %%b (SET DOSPATH=%%b)))

:oemscan
%dospath%\$oem$\oemscan.exe>%systemdrive%\oemscan.log
%dospath%\$oem$\oemscan.exe

oemscan.log

OEMBIOS Scanner v1.21 by Jeremy (xehqter)

Matched: Compaq

Checking Authenticity of OEMBIOS files

OEMBIOS files pass Validation

Copying C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\$oem$\HP\OEMBIOS.BIN : Successful

Copying C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllCache\OEMBIOS.BIN : Successful

Copying C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\$oem$\HP\OEMBIOS.SIG : Successful

Copying C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllCache\OEMBIOS.SIG : Successful

Copying C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\$oem$\HP\OEMBIOS.DAT : Successful

Copying C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllCache\OEMBIOS.DAT : Successful

Importing C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\$oem$\HP\OEMBIOS.CAT : Successful

OEMBIOS Scanner v1.21 by Jeremy (xehqter)

Congratulations Jeremy for your OEMScan utility.

Working great, thx for the update

One question though, do we need to process the gateway files in a ordered way?

Lets say first scan for the specific range and if that fails scan for the whole range with for example the different set?

eg,

[GATEWAY]
PATH=".\oemfiles\GATEWAY\A04597C6\"
RANGE="0x000F32F0:20,0x000FE840:20"

[Gateway]
PATH=".\oemfiles\GATEWAY\C86378C7\"

Edited by FreeStyler

Working great, thx for the update

One question though, do we need to process the gateway files in a ordered way?

Lets say first scan for the specific range and if that fails scan for the whole range with for example the different set?

eg,

[GATEWAY]

[Gateway]

I was wondering the same thing. Allthough I know in autoit if you have 2 sections with the same name in an ini file only the first instance is read. I am not sure with C+ though. If this is the case I suppose we could search for:

[GATEWA]

[Gateway]

What do you think xehqter?

@Siginet & FreeStyler

I didn’t even think of that, rofl.. good catch..

Siginet is correct in both instances (Win32API & Gateway). So we don’t confuse the masses here is the correct memory range for A04597C6. Technically it could be RANGE="0xF32F0:40" but in the unlikely event the word gateway is overlapped in both ranges Windows won't activate. The top instance specifically addresses A04597C6. C86378C7 is used for any instance of gateway in the BIOS.

Today I came across a gateway 450MHZ P3 with the latest bios (March 2000) that didn’t have the word gateway in the bios.

#Specific memory ranges that are present in A04597C6 but not in C86378C7

[Gatewa]

RANGE="0xF32F0:20, 0xF3310:20"

[Gateway]

Edited by xehqter

Today I came across a gateway 450MHZ P3 with the latest bios (March 2000) that didn’t have the word gateway in the bios.

I come across a ton of Gateway computers from that era. That seems to be when they really made long lasting machines. Unfortunately I have noticed the same thing with Toshiba and HP/Compaq laptops that are from around 2000. I don't think anybody started to make their BIOS with the royaly program in mind until Dell started to do it.

@Siginet & FreeStyler

I didn’t even think of that, rofl.. good catch..

Siginet is correct in both instances (Win32API & Gateway). So we don’t confuse the masses here is the correct memory range for A04597C6. Technically it could be RANGE="0xF32F0:40" but in the unlikely event the word gateway is overlapped in both ranges Windows won't activate. The top instance specifically addresses A04597C6. C86378C7 is used for any instance of gateway in the BIOS.

#Specific memory ranges that are present in A04597C6 but not in C86378C7

[Gatewa]

RANGE="0xF32F0:20, 0xF3310:20"

[Gateway]

Thx for clearifying

I just activated a system with your OEMSCAN utility (which is a life saver) and I noticed that for some reason it makes a copy of the 'OEMBIOS.CAT' file in the root of the C: drive... anyone else notice this?

@vpn-user: The original OEMBIOS.CAT file is backed up to SystemDrive when it validates the OEMBIOS files being copied over. If validation fails it restores the original .CAT file. The file should be deleted if validation passes. Something to fix in the next release.

Do you use the latest (1.3) version? it looks like your using 1.21

I just activated a system with your OEMSCAN utility (which is a life saver) and I noticed that for some reason it makes a copy of the 'OEMBIOS.CAT' file in the root of the C: drive... anyone else notice this?

1.3 fixes that bug. The cat file is a backup copy of the systems original oembios.cat file which is used to restore incase validation fails on the Royalty OEMBIOS file set. Version 1.3 deletes the file if validation passes.

@vpn-user: The original OEMBIOS.CAT file is backed up to SystemDrive when it validates the OEMBIOS files being copied over. If validation fails it restores the original .CAT file. The file should be deleted if validation passes. Something to fix in the next release.

Do you use the latest (1.3) version? it looks like your using 1.21

DOH! I'm sorry guys, I coulda swore I had the latest... I guess I'm just losing my mind, its been a long week...

Thanks

PS: any chance of a silent switch in a future revision?

Edited by discountpc

hello,

I hope I don't get flamed or anything, but I've got to ask.

What do I do with oemscan? Do I burn it to the image file for xp and setup will just pick it up or do I need to do something special before trying to install xp?

I offered to reformat a lady's computer for her but she didn't have her dell cd and I figured, no worries I'll use my cd and her key but it will not accept her Dell key. (that's the small version of it).

Thanks

@discountpc

If you want to hide the window that runs oemscan why not use cmdow or something similar.

@merline01

oemscan is run during or after the windows xp setup to copy over the royalty OEMBIOS files.

First Windows XP must be using a SLP (Royalty OEM) CD Key, this is NOT the key located on the side of the computer. Second you need the Royalty OEMBIOS file set for dell which can be obtained from Bazalel’s repository, simply extract the files into the dell directory and run oemscan.exe

If you want to integrate OEMSCAN into an XP CD Siginet has a fantastic add-on for the RyanVM Integrator called OEMScan v1.21 RVM Integrator Addons which will save you the trouble of writing a script to run OEMSCAN during setup.

@discountpc

If you want to hide the window that runs oemscan why not use cmdow or something similar.

Isn't CMDOW only for batch files? because you have to add a line of code to the batch for it to hide, right? or am I just stressin from another long day syndrome?

...from what I have seen this program uses an exe that is coded from C++

Ok, I am a little bit confused, so I'd just like to ask for some clarification.

I have a laptop that I always have to call MS to get activated. I am using a normal XP OEM CD rather than the crap recovery ones that came with my laptop (I do not like all the extra junk that the recovery CDs have on them). With this tool, can I somehow make it so that I would not have to call MS every time after a format? BTW, when I install I use the original CD key that is on the sticker on the bottom of my laptop, if that helps.

Please go easy on me. I am new at doing any sort of mods to and XP CD; I have not gotten into the unattended stuff, but that will be next.

Anyway, I look forward to your replies.

Thanks!

wordup48

Edited by WoRdUp48