NetBios Over Tcip

Beppe

OK, I know my english is not exemplary at all. That sentence is my fault ... omg, I see it now, it's terrible! :blink:

But still, my first reply answered your question exactly. You said that you had seen NetBios over Tcpip in nLite, but not in Windows. I told you where it could be found (in Windows). I thought that was clear enough to know it's not a nLite bug. After that you said again it had been there. Never mind, I only wanted to express this: it's OK that NetBios is listed, it's a driver (not normal service) and there can be seen also other drivers in nLite (remember drivers such as NDIS and IP in IP from 1.0.1?). Regarding the "victory", I didn't mean in a bad way, I'm sorry if it sounds like something against you, I confess I was slightly instigated by posts like "fight, fight,...". :rolleyes:

Just to tell you the reason why netbios over tcpip is listed from now on in nlite:

If you disable netbios, all relating ports are beeing closed. This increases security because many worms use these ports to get into the system (e.g. blaster, sasser, etc.).

Windows file sharing depends on netbios and the relating ports, due to that you are not able to share/access any network shares after you disable netbios over tcpip.

If you set netbios to manual you can still start it via "net start netbt" and stop it via "net stop netbt" to temporary share/access network shares - this is imho the best solution.

Programs like windows worms door cleaner (wwdc.exe) just do the same. Usually netbios over tcpip is hidden from services, therefore they do this via a registry tweak.

Just take a look on the security holes windows has got:

70% IE related

20% server services (netbios, etc)

5% Office related

5% misc

If you take out IE and server services, 90% of all security holes won't affect you.

I guess nuhi didn't answer because:

a)just use google to inform yourself - don't use features of nlite that you do not understand exactly

b)you behave like kids

Netbios over TCP/IP <> Netbios

Netbios over TCP/IP (netbt) has been introduced with 2k I think. It is not the netbios we used to know with win98 it uses port 445.

2K/XP and up first try to use the one on port 445 if it is not available, it falls back on old 13{7-9} port.

So file sharing is possible without this service.

(I know, netbios is fast impossible to understand.) :no:

Just a note: to be sure, what we are talking about, we should distinction between:

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper (LmHosts): service (svchost.exe process), nLite can remove it

NetBIOS Interface (NetBIOS): driver (netbios.sys), cannot be removed with nLite

NetBios over Tcpip (NetBT): driver (netbt.sys), can be disabled on nLite services page

Protocol NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Protocol can be installed to a network connection or removed with nLite.

• 2 months later...

On the "Tweaks" page of nLite, in the Services tab, indeed a "NetBios over TCPIP" service is listed.

*** DON'T TOUCH IT ***

The "DHCP Client" service requires the "NetBios over TCPIP" service. If you disable the "NetBios over TCPIP" service, the "DHCP Client" service can't start, and your machine will never recognize that it has been assigned an IP address.

Nuhi - this is dangerous enough, that it has probably caused a large number of network connectivity problems in nLite installs. Anyone who's read Steve Gibson's "Network Bondage" page immediately assumes this is something they don't need, and don't want, and therefore disables it. Might it be wise to remove it from the Tweaks | Services page to eliminate that mistake? Alternatively somehow show a warning about the consequences of disabling it.

It took an amateur like me more than 15 cycles of: nLite -> Burn customised disk -> Install Windows -> Whine, moan and tear my hair out when there was no Internet connectivity - Reformat the partition -> Restore the Volume Serial Number (to prevent a Windows Product Activation crap out) -> Rinse and Repeat, to solve this

A little quick math on the install time, plus searching for solutions in the forums as well as the rest of the net adds up to a lot of wasted time. In my case several installs a day for more than a week. My doctor says the nervous tick will eventually go away!

-----

(From a message posted elsewhere)

In an over zealous use of nLite* I disabled the "NetBios over TCPIP" service. I guess Steve Gibson's (grc.com) "Network Bondage" page made me too sensitive to that phrase.

While the network card works for the NetBeui protocol across my local network (not over TCP/IP), and my router assigns an IP address (that implies that one was requested), the computer never recognizes that it has an IP address. Therefore there is no internet access. Simple - turn the service back on, right? Nope. The "NetBios over TCPIP" service does not show up in the Services management console.

To turn it back on, go to the "Device Manager" (shortcut [Windows Key]+[R] devmgmt.msc[Enter]). On the "View" menu, pick "Show Hidden Devices". Expand the "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" section. Double Click on "NetBios over TCPIP" and pick it's "Driver" tab. In the "Startup Type" section pick "System" from the drop down box.

The easiest bet is to reboot, and all will be well. I you want to take the hard way, click the "Current Status" "Start" button on that tab. Then go to the "Services" management console (shortcut [Windows Key]+[R] services.msc[Enter]). Double click on "DHCP Client", and then click on it's "Service Status" "Start" button.

Edited by chapmani

DHCP can be used to setup NetBT; you can retrieve a NetBT configuration from a DHCP server, but there is no such dependency!

You may have problem starting DHCP because of a single registry entry which says DHCP won't start unless NetBT is started too. But that's only a registry entry.

Or maybe not. But anyway, if I can't post again in this topic within a few minutes, then DHCP really needs NetBT.

Btw, you gave me an idea: write a script that will find all services that are set to automatic or normal but are dependent on services that are disabled. :)

Guess what ?

I'm online and windows says:

dhcp_netbt_thumb.png

Indeed, I had a time-out. And there are still tons of NetBT entries in my registry. I'm gonna make a backup and get rid of them.

And now a message to everybody who find a dependency : think first.

There is no reason for DHCP to depend on NetBios/NetBT. But there is a reason for DHCP to start after NetBios/NetBT is started : some DHCP functionnalities, under windows, can be used in conjunction with netbt, but in now way this is a vital hard-coded thing.

Edited by Camarade_Tux

A parallel thread is discussing removing the dependency of the "DHCP Client" service on the "NetBios over TCP/IP" non-Plug and Play device driver.

With the addition of the suggested registry tweak, it seems you CAN disable "NetBios over TCP/IP" in nLite on the Tweaks | Services page -- at least for use in a home network.

See the discussion in this thread:

[bUG in 1.2.1] DHCP Client service depends on NetBT unneccesarily

Edited by chapmani