The agony of activation

jpless

Yeah I know this has been discussed several times over and over. But I just wanted to share this with somebody.

I bought a new laptop with Windows XP pro preinstalled some month ago, and now was the time to install windows again. So I did and then it came to the activation process.

First I tried the standard over the internet activation, but it told me I need to change my key? But it's a brand new second time installation. Well the only option then was to call MS (What is the purpose of telling people to get a new key? Isn't that the same as buying a new Windows CD?)

Anyway I called and after the hideous and terrible long comercials and other info stuff you have to listen to, I got through to the actual activation.

But then the next error arrose, it didn't accept the code I entered (With that many numbers the odds are big to miss type but I'm pretty sure I got it right)

So the I waited to talk to a service person, now I'm sitting in Greenland so I have a danish version of XP. I called the Danish number, but the person I got to talk to was Norwegian!!! I didn't understand a word he was saying! And he didn't understand me. So I hung up and I'm now trying to get my anger down to a level where I can call again and try the whole thing one more time :realmad:

Now that's what I call service!

And what's the alternative? There aint none, cause I got to have my XP and it has to be activated :(

>I'm now trying to get my anger down to a level where I can call again and try the whole thing one more time :realmad:

Posting to MSFN was an even better idea than calling a second time.

>Now that's what I call service!

>And what's the alternative? There aint none, cause I got to have my XP and it has to be activated :(

One alternative, coming right up!

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=63258

If you use a pirate copy, WGA prevents you downloading certain updates/features from microsoft. Really you should know better then to tell him to get a VLK - microsoft doesn't just give them out to home users you know.

The poster is trying to activate a genuine copy of XP after reinstall. Can we stick to the topic?

The other thing is,

how is this going to help here?

The poster is already using the royalty OEM install disk so it already has the relevant oem files. Is there much point in getting the oem files from the HD?

He has already installed, so getkey.vbs only returns the key that he used (the one which couldn't activate), not the royalty key.

>how is this going to help here?

It's not so easy after the laptop has been wiped and installed incorrectly out but it can be done with a little study. It's what he should have done before reinstalling. Once he sees how he should do it, he may come up with other options, such as pulling the files and key from a similar PC.

>The poster is already using the royalty OEM install disk

If it asks for activation he's not using the Royalty OEM disk. I think he's using a OEM Single User License and the side of case key in which case he'll get an activation code after begging.

>He has already installed, so getkey.vbs only returns the key that he used (the one which couldn't activate), not the royalty key.

Again, it's how he should obtain the key, a little harder now but doable.

If you use a pirate copy it's probably already got the WGA crack so the point is moot.

The only thing about it is its illegal, other than that there is really no difference.

actually, you're wrong there. if you run the WGACheck.exe from the microsoft website, it will give you a code that will tell microsoft that you are running a pirate edition.

even if it comes with a crack, it still won't work.

because of this new wga policy, everybody has to make sure their copy is a genuine copy - so, the guy who made the copy of the CD will have the original and he will be able to download from microsoft, but the pirated version won't be able to.

If you use a pirate copy it's probably already got the WGA crack so the point is moot.

The only thing about it is its illegal, other than that there is really no difference.

My point has been explained by The Apache above, I'm not as familiar with the WGA crack myself, though. But how about I remind you that illegal things aren't always the best choice. An unregistered vehicle is illegal to drive for good reason you know, and to drive a registered vehicle you must have a valid licence. Besides, read the forum rules before claiming that WGA crack's and illegal copies of WinXP are the way.

The poster is trying to activate a genuine copy of XP after reinstall. Can we stick to the topic?

What he said... It's a single user, so the discussion about VLKs and corporate copies of Windows shouldn't exist here.

I think I got something confused here, it's not an OEM. It's just a normal Windows single user CD I bought with the laptop.

I called the second time and got the activation key, but it's just a short releif, next time i format I problably gonna call again wich will be in a week or so when I'm gonna try my unattended CD :)

Hehe now here's the beauti part, just installed again with my brand new customized cd. Worked fine except ofcourse for the activation. Still have to call.

So I did, and guess what! The office was closed! How can you have a system like that and then it closes? Can I just call another country? Yeah right I wanna pay that bill :(

Any who, it's there and I guess it's not gonna disapear. Just hope it will be somewhat more userfriendly in Vista :)

Here's wishing for a little more customer minded MS in the future!