Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

windows 2000 custom boot screens

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

OS modder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05
There is a place for windows xp boot screens. So I hope there is an intrest in posting windows 2000 boot screens. If so please post here.
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

mau-yong

mau-yong

silent, swift and deadly

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
Check this site:
Little White Dog

Their boot logo Gallery

I've been using LWD's technique, also works with Windows 2003 :thumbup !

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

OS modder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05
Very nice. Is there a way to put it into the install cd?
Posted Image

mau-yong

mau-yong

silent, swift and deadly

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
I haven't tried doing this though, If you do, try disabling Windows File Protection during installation by using Nlite, this might help.

I have been successful in changing all the icons/wallpapers to Vista :wub: in Win 2000 sp4 roll-up 1, modifype'd, cabbeb and placed back in /i386 folder for installation BUT when I touched the ntoskrn.exe to modify bootscreen, win2k installation fails :no: .

What I did was change everything (icons on shell32.dll, mydocs, etc) except ntoskrnl.exe, after it boots up i copied a renamed ntoskrnl and let BOOT.INI point to the modded kernel.

Even people I personally knew never guessed the OS that I was using, (their guess was mod'ed XP, or Vista :whistle: ).

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

OS modder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05
Sounds good. Please post scsreenies
Posted Image

mau-yong

mau-yong

silent, swift and deadly

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
I would love to post a screenshot but I'm using Win2003 now, if my current setup freezes and needs re-install then I would have an excuse to install win 2000 to get a screenie - I would even PM you.

For those who would want to start right away here are the list of win2000 files that I changed the icons to Vista:

access.cpl
appwiz.cpl
calc.exe
desk.cpl
explorer.exe
timedate.cpl
netshell.dll
mydocs.dll
mmsys.cpl
main.cpl
joy.cpl
sysdm.cpl
irprops.cpl
intl.cpl
hdwwiz.cpl
keymgr.cpl
mspaint.exe
msimn.exe
notepad.exe
msgina.dll
mstask.dll
CharMap.exe
DfrgRes.dll
shell32.dll
sndrec32.exe
sndvol32.exe
inetcpl.cpl
wuaucpl.cpl
telephon.cpl
sticpl.cpl
powercfg.cpl
mobsync.exe
msinfo32.exe
ntbackup.exe
cmd.exe
cleanmgr.exe

icons in win2k sticpl.cpl are also found in w2k3 wiashext.dll

One of the reasons why I left w2k for w2k3 is that it has serious disabilities, like Civilization IV won't run. Other reasons are IE7 & WMP10/11, more difficult to install MSJava 5.0.810. Aside from these, win 2000 is a LEAN and MEAN machine, it even supports "raw sockets" :ph34r:.

I was even watching a forum thread at OSBETA (now offline or somebody new is hosting it) about changing the looks and upgrading the kernel of win2000 (much as what some are doing with win98X spearheaded by MDGx). How I wish some of the more knowledgeable ones would do so with win 2000. The farthest now I guess, is the w2k hotstream project (started by gurgelmeyer and prathapml) by continuing up to Service Pack 5 (unofficial) and download is hosted by Softpedia and Majorgeeks.

Until then...

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

OS modder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05
Thanks I cant wait for the screenies if they come
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users