Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Editing WINNTBBU.DLL For Dummies

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

DaveXP

DaveXP

The One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Joined 15-July 03
Why dont you just place the winntbbu.dll in the i386 and the double click setup.exe and the you can see it and then cancel it thats how i do it.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tpipe

tpipe

• 21 posts
  • Joined 06-October 03
I've edited the WINNTBBU.DLL file, compressed it, and replaced it in my I386 directory.

Whenever I launch setup from within windows (which normally never happens), the custom graphics are shown, however when I boot from the CD the default XP screens are used.

Any one know where I've gone wrong?

Cheers

DarkBringer

DarkBringer

• PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Joined 06-August 03
tpipe, I think you should compress your edited file (makecab WINNTBBU.DLL) then replace both WINNTBBU.DL_ and WINNTBBU.DLL in the I386 folder with yours.

Just a thought.
If a man speaks in a forest, and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?

tpipe

tpipe

• 21 posts
  • Joined 06-October 03
I have both the compressed and uncompressed file in the I386 directory.

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
hey I've started mine
but I don't know why but everything is aligned to right?
I've compared it with the windows's original winntbbu.dll
they look the same!
I've just changed the background picture and the strings after 23?
anyone know how why where when?

steve02a

steve02a

• 14 posts
  • Joined 17-October 03

The first thing you need before you do anything, is a program that can open up, and examine the innards of the WINNTBBU.DLL. The program i use is

Nice article..but how about the text? I can change the text, but I want to change the color and font...how can that be done?

Kagato

Kagato

• 13 posts
  • Joined 08-November 03

The first thing you need before you do anything, is a program that can open up, and examine the innards of the WINNTBBU.DLL. The program i use is

Nice article..but how about the text? I can change the text, but I want to change the color and font...how can that be done?

http://www.MSFN.org/...=ST&f=70&t=8696

Geckotek

Geckotek

Slave to M$

• PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Joined 21-June 03
Well, I've just about completed my first attempt at doing this (got bored w/ the ones I downloaded.) The problems I'm having are:

1. The text strings don't seem to go in order?????
2. After a while, the strings start to repeat (around 13 min mark.) Is this normal or am I missing some strings?
3. The existing Windows logos look bad on the background I've used. I'll just have to find some others or maybe someone w/ some graphics experience can help.

Here is my winnntbbu.dll so you can see what I have so far. BTW, do you guys just use CTRL+PrtScr to get a screen cap during the install????

http://www.geckotek.net/winntbbu.zip

Datalore

Datalore

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Joined 05-October 03
I don't know about everybody else, but I use Virtual PC/VMWare to take screenshots of OS installs. Awesome guide b0r3d! One question, what theme are you using in XP from that first screenshot? I like it.

Thanatos

Thanatos

GGTW

• PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03
Geckotek, you're using mine aren't you, its because I edited the background on those logos to match the gradient background I used. Try using unmodded ones or get some from the MS site
Posted Image

Geckotek

Geckotek

Slave to M$

• PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Joined 21-June 03

Geckotek, you're using mine aren't you, its because I edited the background on those logos to match the gradient background I used. Try using unmodded ones or get some from the MS site

Yeah, actually I did just that. Thanks. Here's my new version.

http://www.geckotek.net/winntbbu.zip

Geckotek

Geckotek

Slave to M$

• PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Joined 21-June 03

I don't know about everybody else, but I use Virtual PC/VMWare to take screenshots of OS installs. Awesome guide b0r3d! One question, what theme are you using in XP from that first screenshot? I like it.

Thanks, I'll try doing that in VPC.

That theme looks like Blackcomb Pro to me.

http://www.themexp.o...info.php?id=130

No1Spec

No1Spec
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 31-December 03
Thanks alot for these post of guides guys. I read alot more than I post, Hopefuly I will get to point where I can actually contribute. But I had a question. I recently conditioned my DLL, but I decided not to use 256 color. And it worked fine. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and had any future problems. BTW my winntbbu.dl_ is like freaking 1.27MB when compressed but it still works. I'll post after I finsih screwing around with it.

meseriashu

meseriashu
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 25-January 04

Ogre, can you please post a link to your matrix winntbbu.dll file. It's very cool, thanks. :rolleyes:

i'm still working on it, but as soon as its done, i'll post link.

Did you do more work on that? I would really need your custom setup interface even if it's not finished it's still looking great :D . Could you post it please, pretty please? :)

Astalavista

Astalavista

MSFN loyalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts
  • Joined 02-December 03
I wish this could become a sticky... so that other can also contribute thier work.

DarkBringer

DarkBringer

• PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Joined 06-August 03
Already is.

See: "Sticky: Threads of Interest"
If a man speaks in a forest, and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?

Astalavista

Astalavista

MSFN loyalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts
  • Joined 02-December 03
guys please provide links to your modified winntbbu.dll file.

Trip-

Trip-

• 27 posts
  • Joined 25-January 04
folkz, if microsoft made this file, with switching text paragrphs, I'm sure we can also... not just still bitmaps...

or am I wrong

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
that's very true
if u look at the completed winntbbu.dll's u'll see that u can change everything...

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04

OK, coupla more questions for the tech savy guys....

- Has anyone figured out a way to remove the progress bar and the text that goes with it (i.e. "Setup will take approximately 39 minutes")?

Heres what i've got so far. i would like to change the text to a green and remove the status bar crap.

Ok as far as the text that goes along with "Setup will complete, blah blah blah...thats in winnt32u.dll/a.dll (dunno which one, but since we're editing winntbbu.dll i assume its winnt32u.dll)...Ok, goto
String Table 67

Im not 100% sure, but I think 1059 is the bar, dont quote me on that, but it looks like it could be the only thing

And If anyone wants to get real sneaky and doesnt wanna have to remember their product code...
check out
Bitmap 106
To verify that a changed Bitmap 106 is in place, goto Dialog 144 you should see your replaced bmp
When I spotted this little cutie with some sex appeal. I winked at her, she gave me a look like I'm a booger. I thought b***h, I'd rather spend my money on a hooker. Then a bright idea ran across my mind, if I could swipe a manikin I'd have a freak all the time.

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
Ok back to winntbbu.dll
I used killerbee's winntbbu.dll that they removed all text, I then used the original to put back the original test of Collecting Information and whatnot (the 5 menu items on the left side) and changed font and background to my liking. I did not like have "installation will complete", nor the Press Esc to exit so those are removed. So basically I am left with the background and the 5 menu items, does anyone have a suggestion for what I should rename the 5 menu items, should I remove them altogether, the background I am using is like bliss.jpg, just wanted some input.
When I spotted this little cutie with some sex appeal. I winked at her, she gave me a look like I'm a booger. I thought b***h, I'd rather spend my money on a hooker. Then a bright idea ran across my mind, if I could swipe a manikin I'd have a freak all the time.

ljones2

ljones2

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 23-September 03
evilvoice,

What about the "Setup will complete...." text that appears when you are installing by booting from the cd. I edited both winnt32u.dll/a.dll and removed the text. It works fine if I start the installation within windows by clicking winnt32.exe/.msi. But when I boot from the cd, I still get the "Setup will complete..." message. Yes I ran the makecab program and added the compressed files to I386. I even edited the winntbbu.dll file, compressed and added it too.

Thanks.

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
hmmm, well I dunno.I can only try by running winnt32.exe as I dont wanna make the iso yet until Im done changing things. When I ran it tho, it loaded up the changed winntbbu.dll and winnt32u.dll. Since people talked that winntbbu.dll works on boot by replacing the file, I assumed winnt32u.dll would have the same effect (I actually dont believe you ever edit winnt32a.dll, I only put that in there because I wasnt sure what peope tested winntbb?.dll and their experience on which one boots). Also, try leaving it uncompressed, and dont overwrite the .dl_ The way setup is supposed to work is its supposed to first look for uncompressed file, then the compressed one and uncompress it. If you havent noticed, some people have some things compressed while others dont (for instance - svcpack.inf, I have svcpack.in_), but it was my understanding, from another thread on another board, that if you leave a file uncompressed, windows will use that instead.

Another thing to consider, I did a props on both files, and they say its a renamed winnt32.exe file, so maybe the answer is within there.

Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 29-January 04
I recently managed to download and test Ogre's WINNTBBU files and had a running setup using just the cab file version on a slipstreamed XP Pro and home CD, i recently updated the OEM install files and since then whenever i start an install all I get in place of the text per line is the hex id 3g 1f 3e etc instead of displaying the text... anyone know what would cause this, i replaced the files directly into the iso image and still it gives the same problem, windows loads pperfectly BTW...

ljones2

ljones2

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 23-September 03
I found out how to modify the text "Setup will complete...." text that appears during setup when you boot from the cd.

Edit the syssetup.dll file.
String Table 74, then line 1178

Edit to your liking then run makecab and replace existing file in I386 folder. Make ISO and test. Your text should be changed, mine is. I'm not sure about the progress bar yet.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users