Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

usb drivers for 98?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

cyberman

cyberman

• 23 posts
  • Joined 28-May 05
I bought TOSHIBA 2GB USB FLASH DISK DRIVE. it works with windows xp good but in windows 98 there aren't any drivers.
This one :
http://www.toshibadi...amp;poid=306451

how can i find this drive?

pleaaase help me

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Randy_Rivers

Randy_Rivers

Friend of Msfn

• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 30-September 06
:thumbup These are generic usb drivers for 98se i havent found a thumbdrive that wasnt detected in 98se using the nusb drivers. the info is here. http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=43605 direct download here http://www.mdgx.com/spx/NUSB23E.EXE good luck let us know how it turns out.

Edited by Randy_Rivers, 05 October 2006 - 12:11 PM.

cyberman

cyberman

• 23 posts
  • Joined 28-May 05
thx a lot. it is working!!! how can i add new files which is in my own language

Randy_Rivers

Randy_Rivers

Friend of Msfn

• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 30-September 06
try asking the creator maxiumus in his forum or pm him.

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07
I have a similar issue. I have a SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro, 512 mb. I want to be able to use it on an ancient Windows 98 machine in our house, but I can't because there aren't any drivers. The driver mentioned here - would it work with Windows 98 NOT second edition? If so, I'll try that, otherwise, does anyone know where I can find USB drivers for Windows 98 for the mentioned device, or better yet, all USB devices? Thanks in advance.
-Idontwantspam

What's your home network like?
Windows 7: It does fancy!

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts
  • Joined 22-November 04
Have you tried the current NUSB edition [ver 3.1 as of April 2007]:
http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=43605
also here:
http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#NUS

HTH

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07

Have you tried the current NUSB edition [ver 3.1 as of April 2007]:
http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=43605
also here:
http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#NUS

HTH

I have already seen, and posted in, that topic. I need Windows 98 NOT second edition drivers. But thanks anyways.
-Idontwantspam

What's your home network like?
Windows 7: It does fancy!

georg

georg

georg

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 24-February 07
The PQI brand sold by Fry's works very well for me on both Win98FE and SE. A comparable 512MB model sells for about $15. It would be interesting to know if the PQI software will work with other brands. It is a 309K self executing .exe file. I did not try the separate utility pkg.

PQI = Power Quotient International, Inc., Tel +886-2-82265288, Fax +886-2-82265268

www.pqi.com/tw
www.pqi.com/tw/download.asp

The one I use is listed as BB53 series, U230 Traveling Disk 512MB
Once installed, the flash drive appears in Device Manager under Hard Drives as
"Generic USB Flash Disk"
"Standard disk 4-23-1999 no driver required Int13 unit"
"Driver free"
"No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device"
498 cylinders
64 heads
32 sectors per track / cluster
512 bytes per sector

georg

georg

georg

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 24-February 07
(supplementing my earlier post on the PQI USB Flash Disk)
Note unit has to be plugged in for entries to appear in Device Manager
"Standard disk drives" 5-11-1998 on the FE machine

In Device Manager, under Hard disk controllers, appears as "USB Flash Drive"
Device type: Hard disk controllers
Manufacturer: Generic

under Driver Tab,
Provider: Generic
Date: 2-24-2006

Clicking on Driver file details,
\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\SKUMSS.SYS file date is 11-17-04
\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD (ntkern.vxd) file date is 5-19-99 (SE is 12-26-03)
\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\SKPDR.PDR file date is 11-17-04
Provider: Microsoft Corporation
File Version: 5.00.1868.1

Andromeda43

Andromeda43

Retired PC Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Joined 14-August 05
It's common knowledge among techs, at least, that every PC running the old cluggy Win-98 should be upgraded to Win-98/SE. The USB and printer support is greatly enhanced and many other problems in 98 are fixed.

Companies like SanDisk provide Mini and Micro drivers, but for 98/SE....not 98. I have them all.
Windows ME has even greater USB support and does not require drivers for many USB devices.

Copies of the 98/SE Upgrade CD are as common as can be and even a 98/SE OEM install CD can be made to work if you first rename 'win.com' to something else (like, win.old) so the setup.exe program on the CD can't see it. Then the upgrade to SE goes off without a hitch. The old registry, drivers and all data is preserved.

I've never found any downside to doing this upgrade and the benefits are many.

Add to that the 'Unofficial Service Pack for SE' and you have one very nice OS, Indeed. :thumbup

Just Googling for "98 USB drivers" will give you over 2 million hits.

Google till you drop! :thumbup

Cheers! B)
A person with experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument.

sadievan

sadievan
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 16-April 07

Copies of the 98/SE Upgrade CD are as common as can be and even a 98/SE OEM install CD can be made to work if you first rename 'win.com' to something else (like, win.old) so the setup.exe program on the CD can't see it. Then the upgrade to SE goes off without a hitch. The old registry, drivers and all data is preserved.

I've never found any downside to doing this upgrade and the benefits are many.

Add to that the 'Unofficial Service Pack for SE' and you have one very nice OS, Indeed.
Cheers! B)

I have Win 98 on an old laptop. I tried using my 98/SE OEM install CD and I get an error message that I cannot use this CD and must buy the Upgrade. I did rename 'win.com' to 'win.old'. Any suggestions. I am also trying this to use a flash drive.

Thanks,
Carol

AlexaD

AlexaD
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07

It's common knowledge among techs, at least, that every PC running the old cluggy Win-98 should be upgraded to Win-98/SE. The USB and printer support is greatly enhanced and many other problems in 98 are fixed.

Yep and then my scanner doesn't work. And that's a USB scanner. Spent several days on the phone with the manufacturer before I gave up, formatted the drive and dumped 98 on it, where the scanner works perfectly. They fixed that one till it broke.

I'd never before found any reason to pick one over the other but after that BS, I destroyed my copy of 98SE to make sure I never used it again. I'm sure it works fine for other people, but 98 works fine for me and is probably faster (just a guess, but every upgrade I've ever seen is bigger and slower).

In my experience, renaming win.com has never confused the setup program. It's been awhile since I "played", but it seems to me that it looks for the registry and those are the files you'd have to rename, but then you'd get no import from them.

Just my opinion...,
Alexa

noguru

noguru

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 24-February 06

(supplementing my earlier post on the PQI USB Flash Disk)
Note unit has to be plugged in for entries to appear in Device Manager
"Standard disk drives" 5-11-1998 on the FE machine

In Device Manager, under Hard disk controllers, appears as "USB Flash Drive"
Device type: Hard disk controllers
Manufacturer: Generic

under Driver Tab,
Provider: Generic
Date: 2-24-2006

Clicking on Driver file details,
\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\SKUMSS.SYS file date is 11-17-04
\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD (ntkern.vxd) file date is 5-19-99 (SE is 12-26-03)
\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\SKPDR.PDR file date is 11-17-04
Provider: Microsoft Corporation
File Version: 5.00.1868.1

All drivers provided by manufactures that I know of use these .sys and .pdr files. They differ in name and date/time stamp only. I use the same from Pointchips (or something like that) and these work on all 3 USB-sticks that I own(ed). It's always the same generic Ms 5.00.1868.1 driver no matter how it's called.

georg

georg

georg

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 24-February 07
There is an interesting article, last updated 1/24/2007, about using the driver for "an older SanDisk USB device" with the newer Cruzer series to work with:

Windows 95 OSR/2.1 ("B" version with USB or later)
Windows 98 with a USB port that is already recognized by the system.

His solution was to "modify the the Plug-And-Play ID numbers to match the one being sent by the Cruzer..."

Working links are provided to download both the modified and unmodified drivers.

http://toastytech.co...ruzerwin95.html

BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Joined 21-October 06
Yup, that's the driver I use for my USB stick! Nathan Lineback is the webmaster of that site. :)
Using Windows 95 OSR 2.5
SeaMonkey - surfing the net has never been so suite
Posted ImageLight Blue Ribbon Campaign for Freedom of Skin

Andromeda43

Andromeda43

Retired PC Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Joined 14-August 05

Just my opinion...,

this is a place for facts, not opinions.
Opinion never fixed a computer in his life.

I've installed 98/SE OEM over 98 more times than I even want to admit to. (Sorry, Bill !)

You first copy the SE OEM disk to a folder on the HD. Only the \win98\ folder need be copied.
Then you boot up the PC with your 98 boot disk and go into the windows folder and rename win.com to win.old
.....then you navigate into the newly created \win98\ folder and run Setup.exe /ie /is

Setup will start and run normally. It only looks for win.com, not the registry.
Setup will also run much faster and smoother from the folder on the HD than from the original CD.
And, if ever 98/SE needs to install some new feature.....the files are already on the HD.

This is a hard, cold fact that MS probably doesn't want anyone to know about. (Bbviously! ) :whistle:
But I've been doing it as long as there's been copies of 98/SE OEM on the streets.

In this process, all apps, data and drivers are preserved. (Don't ask me why it works....it just does!) :thumbup

Cheers Mates!
B)
A person with experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument.

sadievan

sadievan
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 16-April 07

There is an interesting article, last updated 1/24/2007, about using the driver for "an older SanDisk USB device" with the newer Cruzer series to work with:

Windows 95 OSR/2.1 ("B" version with USB or later)
Windows 98 with a USB port that is already recognized by the system.

His solution was to "modify the the Plug-And-Play ID numbers to match the one being sent by the Cruzer..."

Working links are provided to download both the modified and unmodified drivers.

http://toastytech.co...ruzerwin95.html

Thanks. This worked for me on my old laptop running 98. I unzipped the files to a floppy drive. After inserting the flash drive, it asked for drivers. I steered it to the floppy and it installed. This has worked with a sandisk drive and a generic 2 gig one I bought from Micro Center.

sadievan

sadievan
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 16-April 07

Just my opinion...,

this is a place for facts, not opinions.
Opinion never fixed a computer in his life.

I've installed 98/SE OEM over 98 more times than I even want to admit to. (Sorry, Bill !)

You first copy the SE OEM disk to a folder on the HD. Only the \win98\ folder need be copied.
Then you boot up the PC with your 98 boot disk and go into the windows folder and rename win.com to win.old
.....then you navigate into the newly created \win98\ folder and run Setup.exe /ie /is

Setup will start and run normally. It only looks for win.com, not the registry.
Setup will also run much faster and smoother from the folder on the HD than from the original CD.
And, if ever 98/SE needs to install some new feature.....the files are already on the HD.

This is a hard, cold fact that MS probably doesn't want anyone to know about. (Bbviously! ) :whistle:
But I've been doing it as long as there's been copies of 98/SE OEM on the streets.

In this process, all apps, data and drivers are preserved. (Don't ask me why it works....it just does!) :thumbup

Cheers Mates!
B)

Thanks for the detailed explanation. When I tried, I did not boot up from a boot disk, that was my problem. I used the drivers mentioned above by georg and they worked on my 98 laptop. I have saved this thread in case I need to update in the future. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users