I played around with the installer and came up with a way to repackage it using Inno Setup. It isn't pretty but it seems to work ok.
Steps to create custom Inno Setup installer for Skype:
1. Download the latest version of Skype from www.skype.com
(I used 220.127.116.11)
2. Use ResHacker or some other tool to extract the icon from SetupSkype.exe and save it as Skype.ico
3. Open your %TEMP% folder (C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp) to watch for installation files to appear
4. Run the SetupSkype.exe installer
5. Read the License Agreement and copy its text to a notepad file, save it as license.txt
6. Read the Privacy Statement and copy its text to a word document and save it in rtf format as privacy.rtf
7. Click the "Options" button (NOT Install)
8. Uncheck everything except "Install Skype Extras Manager"
9. Click "Install" and watch your %TEMP% folder for a folder called is-_____.tmp Open that folder and watch for PluginManager.msi
10. Uncheck any toolbar or add-on boxes along the way
11. As soon as you see PluginManager.msi copy it to your desktop quickly before the installer is finished.
12. After the installation is done, copy 3 folders into a new folder of your choice. - "Phone" from C:\ProgramFiles\Skype\
- "My Skype Pictures" from C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\
- "My Skype Wallpapers" from C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\
Remove unins000.dat and unins000.exe from the "Phone" folder.
13. Move files into the new folder: - Skype.ico
14. Copy the attached file "install_script.iss" to your new folder.
15. Install Inno Setup from http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
(I installed the QuickStart Pack: ispack-5.1.9.exe)
16. Double-click the "install_script.iss" file and compile it in ISTool. This will create a folder called "Output" and inside it will be the new Skype installer called SetupSkype.exe
Silent install switch is /VERYSILENT
If you want the desktop icon, edit the install_script.iss under [Tasks] to remove Flags: "unchecked dontinheritcheck"
I haven't used Skype yet to verify that everything works properly, so you be the judge if it works for you, then enjoy.
The attached zip file contains install_script.iss, license.txt, privacy.rtf, Skype.ico
EDIT: 4 Feb 2007, updated the install_script.iss to check if Skype is running during uninstall and to uninstall Plugin Manager at the same time. Added another unchecked box for the option to run Skype on system startup. This installer is 5Meg smaller than original. I think I'm done playing now, twas a good experience.
Edited by beeker, 04 February 2007 - 11:11 AM.