In other words, you can start WUD in automated mode, have it download critical updates and/or service packs via the command line and exit automatically once downloads are complete. Certain options are preconfigured to allow maximum compatibility and set in a way that makes sense in an automated mode.
In particular, take note of the following when running in automated mode:
- The command line parameters must be declared in the same order as shown here.
- The update list specified must be uncompressed.
- The download folder must be pre-created.
- The download folder path must not end with \ (Use C:\UPDATES, not C:\UPDATES\).
- Product folders and category sub-folders are set to off.
- Remove unlisted files is set to on.
- Previously downloaded updates will not be re-downloaded unless deleted from the download folder.
- You can choose to download either critical updates, service packs or both. You cannot download other types of updates in automated mode.
- To enable proxy settings, you must configure them by running the program in normal user mode first.
WUD -automated [updatelist] [downloadfolder] [updatetypes][updatelist] must be the filename of the update list to use.
[downloadfolder] must be the path to the folder where the updates should be downloaded to.
[updatetypes] must be C for critical updates, S for service packs, or C and S for both (no spaces). ei: C, SC, S, CS.
wud -automated "windows-xp-x86-enu.ul" "C:\XPUPDATES" CThe previous example would download all critical updates found in the windows-xp-x86.enu.ul update list into the C:\XPUPDATES folder.
The program will generate an errorlevel code (exit code) when exiting, which are as follows:
- 0 - No error, download complete.
- 1 - User cancelled the download.
- 11 - The specified update list was not found.
- 12 - The download folder is invalid or does not exist.
- 13 - No valid update type was chosen.
- 14 - There is a misconfiguration with the proxy settings.
- 15 - An error occured while connecting or downloading updates.
@echo off C: cd "\Program Files\Windows Updates Downloader" wud -automated "windows-xp-x86-enu.ul" "C:\XPUPDATES" C IF ERRORLEVEL 15 GOTO DownloadError IF ERRORLEVEL 14 GOTO ProxySettingsError IF ERRORLEVEL 13 GOTO NoUpdateType IF ERRORLEVEL 12 GOTO DownloadFolderInvalid IF ERRORLEVEL 11 GOTO UpdateListNotFound IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO Cancelled GOTO Completed :DownloadError echo Download error. echo: pause GOTO End :ProxySettingsError echo Proxy settings error. echo: pause GOTO End :NoUpdateType echo No update type chosen. echo: pause GOTO End :DownloadFolderInvalid echo Download folder invalid. echo: pause GOTO End :UpdateListNotFound echo Update List not found. echo: pause GOTO End :Cancelled echo Cancelled. echo: pause GOTO End :Completed C: cd "\Program Files\nLite" nLite :End