UTP cables

olocin

hi guys!

Just wanted to clear thing up about UTP Cables and data transmission. Based on the Exhibits below, does Exhibit B and Exhibit C affects the packets (data transmitted) on the cables? If so how does Exhibit B and Exhibit C differ?

Thanks guys your help is greatly appreciated.

I dont know if i posted at the right forum, please correct me if i miss posted. Thanks

post-52999-1162526222_thumb.jpg ----> EXHIBIT A

post-52999-1162526252_thumb.jpg ----> EXHIBIT B

post-52999-1162526284_thumb.jpg ----> EXHIBIT C

Wiring for RJ45 plugs Looking from the non clip side, left is #1

ID# Wire color (Both Ends)

1 White/Orange

2 Orange/White

3 White/Green

4 Blue/White

5 White/Blue

6 Green/White

7 White/Brown

8 Brown/White

e.g. White wire with Orange stripe == White/Orange

Orange wire with White Stripe == Orange/White

Setup the wires as above, hold and trim using side cutters to 5/8”

Push all the way into the clip and check the wires:

White – Color – White – Color all the way along.

:hello:

hi Bigbrit thanks for the reply. Im sorry, maybe my question wasnt clear enough, I know the straight and cross connection.

The flow of data on Exhibit A is of course continious (no interruption)regardless of whether you use cross or straight. The question lies on Exhibit B and Exhibit C.

here's a scenario.

if i was cabling a department using CAT5e then i got short on the cable measurement (say miss calculation on the length) instead of re-cabling the entire department i sorted in adding an extension on each cable. I will use Exhibit B or Exhibit C to extend the Cables. here's the question.

Will there be an interuption or problems when packets are transmitted through that wire?

Which is reliable Exhibit B or Exhibit C?

I did a project recently where the Cable Puller (an Electrician) pulled short.

He pulled a few cables short of the patch panel. I did the same as you, punched a Cat5e end

onto the cable and made my own cable to the patch panel.

If you can, use a short patch cable rather than a "home made" cable.

p.s. The above passed on a Fluke test.

:hello:

Which is reliable Exhibit B or Exhibit C?

Definitely NOT Exhibit C!!!! Also, in Exhibit B make sure the contacts are not loose.

Exhibit C will work fine, just use wire nuts and electrical tape.

:huh:

this is NOT car wiring, this is high speed, sensitive, data signals.

Exhibit C will cause data loss, packet re-transmits, it's not shielded and there's added resistance in the connection.

Exhibit B is the prefered choice in a desperate situation, but the best option is to rewire using a full length, uncut, uninterrupted cable.

The cable connecting the machine I'm using right now to the router is spliced in several places like that and yet it's working fine at the full 100Mbps... maybe I just did a better job of it or it's just not near any sources of interference :wacko:

Exhibit C will cause data loss, packet re-transmits, it's not shielded and there's added resistance in the connection.
UTP means unshielded-twisted-pair :whistle:

Working "at 100Mbps" (as in not at 10) doesn't mean performing as good as it could. UTP is twisted for a reason, non-twisted parts should be avoided as much as possible (connectors and such included). Splices really does affect the electrical performance of a cable, you can easily see them with a TDM. NO professional installer would splice UTP - especially nowadays where we often lay 5e or better and with Gbit ethernet gaining a lot in popularity (the switches are coming down a lot in price). I've never tried to do some ghetto UTP splice on a gigabit connection to see how bad it performs, but I'm sure I wouldn't want that on my network. Splicing UTP is the absolute last resort, it screws up the cable's electrical properties. And even if it came down to splicing, I still wouldn't use a pigtail splice like that, that's meant for electricians, in junction boxes - NOT telecoms! Same goes for Marettes and such - not on telecoms cables!

Splicing cables is also not "up-to-code." In an environment where you would most likely be installing UTP (ie-not a private residence), you would need to make sure that all wiring and cable runs meet industry standards at the time you perform the installation.

I think that joining small segments of cable together as shown in Exhibit B would even be acceptable to code regulations. I know for sure though that Exhibit C would not only get you fired, but possibly fined at the same time. :P

hi, thanks guys for your interest on the subject. maybe i'll stick to Exhibit B, this is my last resort. You all have a point, and as TOSK said Exchibit C is not industry standard, and as a network administrator you would not want your cables to look like Exhibit C :), Thanks again.