UMBPCI.SYS v3.70/FastVid v1.10 PCI/AGP

I have a pentium pro 233mhz/96mb/10gb hdd

and i would like to use these tools

UMBPCI.SYS v3.70

FastVid v1.10 PCI/AGP Video accelerator

but i don't understand these tools.I HAVE READ THEM TWICE :(

i have a installation that is a regular Windows default

and would like these tools to reside in C:\Program Files instead of C:

is this possible.Also the setting for the tools above i would like the best setting

meaning the highest/pushed to the limit.Thanks guys in advance.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

fastvid enables some pentium pro/2/celeren specific functions like write combing for the framebuffer memeory range of the videocard... this means memeory writes in thsi regions are always done in larger chunks.

example: writing of 4 32bit values to 0x40000000- 0x4000000f (video frame buffer) ... normally 4 memory transfers are done which is slow because the natural width of memory transfers is 64bit.

write combining waits until 64bit are together to do an 'combined write' -> leads to double transfer speed.

but why not doing this for all memory? because of the 'weak ordering' ... if we do this for normal memory ranges (normal code, normal data) in some circumstances this can lead to errors.

example: writing 32 bit to 0x30000000, reading 32 bit from 0x30000000, writing 32 bit to 0x30000004

without writecombing the read value is the correct one (the first written) with it is wrong (the value before writting). so this technique can only be done to memeory ranges which don't rely on correct ordering of reads & writes, like video memory.

for k6 processors the same featuring tool (CTU)

http://www.k6plus.com/index.php?name=Downl...getit&lid=9

UMBPCI.SYS v3.67

i have a installation that is a regular Windows default

and would like these tools to reside in C:\Program Files instead of C:

is this possible.Also the setting for the tools above i would like the best setting

meaning the highest/pushed to the limit.Thanks guys in advance.

UMBPCI.SYS v3.67

I have to admit, I don't understand the documentation either (and I've read it more than twice).

Why? Because knowledge of several of the things/concepts/features mentioned is taken for granted. Ideally, all these things would be explained without introducing yet more terms that require explanation to the beginner.

I can see that the author has tried hard, but the documentation still assumes a fair amount of prior knowledge in the user.

Edited by bristols

Then you also need to go here

http://www.mdgx.com/mem7.htm

What I need I'm afraid is a step by step guide, in which all concepts are explained - in other words, assuming no prior knowledge (of DOS and configuration files). I want:

1. Do this using this (which is this)

2. Then do this (this means this - it is just a kind of that)

Etcetera. Step. By. Step.

Please. :)

By the way, if PROBLEMCHYLD and I can't get our heads around it, then probably others can't, too.

Edited by bristols

What I need I'm afraid is a step by step guide, in which all concepts are explained - in other words, assuming no prior knowledge (of DOS and configuration files). I want:

By the way, if PROBLEMCHYLD and I can't get our heads around it, then probably others can't, too.

Perhaps you're not worthy of using it if you can't understand it :whistle:

Perhaps you're not worthy of driving your car if you can't understand and make functional yourself, through your understanding, its engine. Likewise, perhaps you should only be allowed to benefit from water on tap, and public sanitation, if you understand the various plumbing and filtering systems involved.

And perhaps then, LLXX, you should restrict the download and use of your > 137GB LBA fix to only those who pass a test showing their understanding of LBA.

But where would the glory and acclaim be in that, eh? ;)

Edited by bristols

I got my first computer 2 years ago before then i knew nothing about a computer

hard drives,Cd-roms,Ram nothing.I learned a lot in these couple years @ (Mdgx.com)

& MSFN Forums I'm still trying to learn

but you with your ignorant as* outburst aint helping me none.if you use less time talking $h*t/Lip Boxing

and more time helping us maybe we would be as smart as you.I like you a lot LLXX

but don't start a fight that you know you can't win.I'm not for the games and Bull$**t

I'm a (PROBLEM)CHYLD not a kid :realmad::realmad::realmad:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Let's see.

Do you know how to use the command line? To use the cd command, to copy and rename files?

Do you know how to start in safe mode and step through your config.sys and autoexec.bat files?

Can you download and extract the files here http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/umbpci_e.zip? Use the 7-Zip file manager to unzip if you need a good unzipper.

That's for starters.

Do you know how to use the command line? To use the cd command, to copy and rename files?
No
Do you know how to start in safe mode and step through your config.sys and autoexec.bat files?

yes i can start in safe mode

Can you download and extract the files here http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/umbpci_e.zip? Use the 7-Zip file manager to unzip if you need a good unzipper.

Did it already

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

www.computerhope.com is a good start for reading about the commands.

To practice you should make a folder under C:\ called, let's see FRUIT (use Windows Explorer for the following)

Inside FRUIT make folders APPLE and PEAR (use Windows Explorer)

Copy small files into APPLE and PEAR. Word files are OK. Small text files are better. These files should have no spaces in them. So files with names like

1998 taxes.doc Let Mum.txt

are not OK but files like

1998taxes.doc LetMum.txt

are OK. File name length should not exceed 8 letters before the . and 3 letters after the .

Get to the command prompt and type cd \fruit and press Enter

Your command prompt should look like C:\FRUIT>

Type dir and press Enter

You should see two folders called APPLE and PEAR. If you do you are ready to practice using the DOS commands. To get back to Windows from the dark place type exit and press Enter.

I couldn't find a decent DOS tutorial on the Net. You may be able to find a book at the local library. But you must at this stage be able to use DOS to go much further. If the GUI crashes DOS is your friend and saviour. For trouble shooting and emergency data recovery DOS is your friend.