Reboot at beginning of installation :(

silverf0x

Hi to all, i have problem with nlite.

i have made a simply windows xp with drivers of my pc and the license number. with nlite i don't have problems, i mean, it does not give me error while it modify the files of the i386 folders and while i burn the cd. But when i start the pc and make the boot from cd for install the new modified windows, when it say "CHECKING HARDWARE" or something similar, it reboot the pc. And i can't install it...what can i do? Do you need some info of my installation? Thanks to all that want help a little noob ^^ :)

First, thanks :)

I make some normal modification...the windows it was the xp home thats comes with my acer. I add the drivers of my laptop, make the new user, put my windows activation code, set the time gmt+1, and chose some options for desktop, like icons and options for start menu. THen burn, and when i begin the installation, the pc reboot at first screen :(

First, thanks :)

I make some normal modification...the windows it was the xp home thats comes with my acer. I add the drivers of my laptop, make the new user, put my windows activation code, set the time gmt+1, and chose some options for desktop, like icons and options for start menu. THen burn, and when i begin the installation, the pc reboot at first screen :(

I think its better to reinstall the xp again!! let me see if the problem continues B)

let me know..

Ok, I think your CD is corrupted or damaged... try burning your nlited win xp on another CD, but if the pc roboots everytime you want to install, then the problem is your nlited xp, but first try it on a virtual pc

Edited by NeoZeruel

if you disabled the "Press Any Key to Boot From CD" message, then you'll enter an endless reboot cycle. guaranteed.

the CD may not have burned properly. have you tried installing it on a virtual PC to test it?

i try to burn it with another software and the problem it's the same...i don't try on virtual pc.

in the multitude of options nLite has, theres a tweak that removes the "Press any key to boot from CD" messege. once thats gone, theres no getting it back, just start over. also, i don't use nLite to burn either, i just create the .iso in nLite to test it for what unattended features i can get to work at any given time.

the main reason you should use a virtual machine to test it is because of endless reboot cycles, and to check your unattended features. it saves burning a CD and possibly formatting a hard drive that you didn't want to format if the installation doesn't work. things like that do happen. also, when you don't properly back up your system..the list goes on. this machine may be old, and pretty darn slow, but it runs, and although it takes a long time to install on a virtual machine, i've gone through 6 .iso files that helped me.

your best bet is to recopy the original CD, and start over. that way, you can retrace your steps and make sure you didn't remove something that would be causing this.

• 2 weeks later...

Others have suggested that the CD may be corrupted. I've had issues when the Nlite customised CD didn't work well when burnt at the writer's top speed. I've slowed it down a notch or two and that cured the problem. Personally I always let Nlite make the ISO, but burn the disk in my regular CD software to give me that control.

A good check might be to run the install from the original Microflacid disk and see if that works. (Yea - I know there goes another hour or so down the drain.)

There are other possible problems too. For example at one point my installs started dyeing during the "copy files" stage - always on the same file. I tried the original disk - it died. Tried a second original disk - still crapped out. Replaced the CD drive cable - still nada. Swapped out CD drives - still no joy.

After hours of re-tries, and more time searching for answers than I'd care to admit, all I saw was the standard suggestions, bad burn, bad disk, bad drive, and bad cable. Finally in one dark corner of the web I saw the suggestion that it might be bad ram. It seemed unlikely - previous installs had worked, and it always seemed to crap out on the same file.

I ran mtest86+ and low and behold - lots of errors. I did the old first on one stick of ram, than the other to find the bad one. I replaced it (it was still under warranty) and the problem was solved.

Perhaps that might be your problem as well.

Mtest86+ is more current than the older mtest86 version. Download pre-compiled CD ISO's, Floppy Disk, or USB Memory key versions at: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso