HOTFIXES: Win2000 SP4, WinXP SP2, WinXP SP3 and Win2003 SP2

It's impossible to say which is the best as it's entirelly a matter of personal prefference.

However, here's some pointers about both to help you decide.

xable's pack is build from the GDR branch(google it, if in doubt), whereas nLite slipstreams the binaries from the QFE branch when integrating updates.

With xable's pack then all updates are slipstreamed in the most effecient way(except for the timezone update which is set to run at T-13), whereas nLite integrates some of the updates with the ineffecient /integrate switch.

Lastly, then xable's pack only slipstreams the actually needed reg-entries and omits the rest as they are useless to a slipstreamed install(the needed reg-entries are the ones for e.g. WU/MU and qfecheck.exe etc. in 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates' and the useless omitet ones are e.g. 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\HotFix' ones(for the very few where this is needed i.e. when no other entries set, then it's included!)'.

Edited by Martin H

It's impossible to say which is the best as it's entirelly a matter of personal prefference.

However, here's some pointers about both to help you decide.

xable's pack is build from the GDR branch(google it, if in doubt), whereas nLite slipstreams the binaries from the QFE branch when integrating updates.

With xable's pack then all updates are slipstreamed in the most effecient way(except for the timezone update which is set to run at T-13), whereas nLite integrates some of the updates with the ineffecient /integrate switch.

Lastly, then xable's pack only slipstreams the actually needed reg-entries and omits the rest as they are useless to a slipstreamed install(the needed reg-entries are the ones for e.g. WU/MU and qfecheck.exe etc. in 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates' and the useless omitet ones are e.g. 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\HotFix' ones(for the very few where this is needed i.e. when no other entries set, then it's included!)'.

thanks Martin, but finally if i include xable's pack in my windows xp sp3 cd, is enough? (because i haven't high free space, also my windows information is not very good ... :rolleyes: )

Meanwhile, if i use xable's pack, can i remove useless files? ( which files is useless? e.g. is XHelper.exe useless? and i can remove this? )

With xable's pack there's nothing "useless" left. xhelper.exe and xudpack.inf is automatically removed and even the xudpack.inf entry in sysoc.inf is also removed post-install(nLite dosen't even do that for it's nlite.inf).

That pack is very "cleanly" made!

Yes, xable's pack brings an Xp-SP3 source completelly up-to-date with all high-priority updates, except IE8 and WGA(but WGA can be added with xable's WGA addons). If you need IE8 there are slipstream addons available from other parties(search).

• 2 months later...

I am new here!! I need some help. I am in the process of updating my unattended CD. I have created a SVCPACK.INF file. However in the instruction it did not say if this will work for Win XP Ser Pack 3. They already have a SVCPACK.IN_ file. This in the instruction is to be removed/replaced by the new file. When I expand the original one I see a whole lot of KB....... files in it. Does SP3 need this original for proper installation?

Cheers to all

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I need some help d/l updates for MS. Every time I go to d/l an update I get the sever has reset and I get nothing. Happens to me on my other computer as well. Any ideas?

Edited by BaTLeZone

• 5 months later...

Hello there.

I have an unattended instalation iso for XP SP3 with "OnePiece_Windows_XP_Post-SP3_UpdatePack_v5.1.0_ENU" added with nLite.

Everything is OK, except this little problem I got with IE8. I doesnt open the Internet Options menu from the Tools. I just click it and nothing happens.

Does anybody knows what is this about?

Thank you.

• 7 years later...