Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

HOTFIXES: Win2000 SP4, WinXP SP2, WinXP SP3 and Win2003 SP2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

I installed all of the listed updates for Windows XP SP2. Yet, when I go into Windows Update to do a check, it list the following required updates:

KB923689
KB890830
KB917734
KB901190

Also, is the flash hotfix required even if I install Adobe Flash 9? Thanks.

Can someone please answer my questions?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Gee

Gee

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Thanks RyanVM !

Is there a new Windows Update client ? Because I install it, but when I go to Windows Update it ask to download again ...
I will retest when I will not tired ^^

edited: In fact, Internet Explorer 7.0 integrate a Windows Update client version so no need to install the windows update client before ...

I removed Windows Update Agent 2.0 from my CD and it still requires it when I do an update, even though IE7 is loaded. I doubt IE7 has a Windows Update Client.

Sonic

Sonic

Sonic

• Patrons
  • 1,603 posts
I have made other tests and in fact it's because I install KB918899 which is cumulative update for IE6. This update has a Windows Update client I think because when I install it I can access WU without popup ...
I have deleted this update because it's now superseeded by KB925454 (I keep updates for IE6 for systems I don't update to IE7), and I have re-integrated WindowsUpdateClientv6.

Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
This is really stupid, why is MS asking me to install KB901190 even though it's no longer on this list?

Sonic

Sonic

Sonic

• Patrons
  • 1,603 posts

This is really stupid, why is MS asking me to install KB901190 even though it's no longer on this list?

I have KB901190 in my list for me ...

Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

I have KB901190 in my list for me ...

The list on the first page of this thread doesn't list that update as a required critical update. Are you sure you got it right? Maybe the_guy left it out then since Windows Update says that I'm missing that update.

Sonic

Sonic

Sonic

• Patrons
  • 1,603 posts
I have re-tested my post-hotfixes install without KB901190 and it doesn't appears in WU, I have read the security bulletin and it seems to be a hotfix for Korean only ( http://www.microsoft...n/ms06-009.mspx ).

Yzöwl

Yzöwl

Wise Owl

• Super Moderator
  • 4,527 posts

Donator

Microsoft has released a new version of the KB905474 update here.

However is there a way to hide it from Microsoft Update site without installing this?

This looks like a type 2 hotfix, however it, WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone.exe, does not install silently from svcpack using:

KB905474.EXE /q:A /R:N

Does anyone know an alternative working switch.
TIA

the_guy

the_guy

Creator of the Windows ME Service Pack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Microsoft has released a new version of the KB905474 update here.

However is there a way to hide it from Microsoft Update site without installing this?

This looks like a type 2 hotfix, however it, WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone.exe, does not install silently from svcpack using:

KB905474.EXE /q:A /R:N

Does anyone know an alternative working switch.
TIA

The only thing I can suggest is to extract the file, and install WGANOT~1.EXE inside the file with the /q /n /z switch.

the_guy
Creator of the Windows ME Service Pack.

Yzöwl

Yzöwl

Wise Owl

• Super Moderator
  • 4,527 posts

Donator

Thanks the_guy, I may try it later.

I am however thinking of trying an install without it and performing an update as a check, since I've heard reports that the notifier is no longer a 'critical hotfix'. Could anyone give a definitive answer to these reports.

Sonic

Sonic

Sonic

• Patrons
  • 1,603 posts
For me, I install KB905474 with /q /o /n /z switch without problems.

Yzöwl

Yzöwl

Wise Owl

• Super Moderator
  • 4,527 posts

Donator

Sonic The 'new version' will not accept the integrate switch and its help switch shows the same dialog as KB923789. During install however 923789 installs fine but 905474 shows the full installation dialog boxes etc. The previous version of 905474 didn't exhibit this behaviour, hence my posting here.

Sonic

Sonic

Sonic

• Patrons
  • 1,603 posts
oups! In fact I have just remember I have extracted the .exe of download wga file and I run extracted .exe with /q /o /n /z switchw for post-install and all is fine here. Btw, where are international version of WGA notifier, I install english version for French OS but it's latest it's more impostant for me ^^

Pis19

Pis19

• 30 posts

**Added IE7 and WMP11 to base install**
Removed KB925486, KB924496, KB918899, KB917734 and KB917344 for WinXP SP2 because of IE7/WMP11.

I discover that with IE7, only 3 files from hotfix KB917344 are updated. All the others are updated by the hotfix: so, if KB917344 isn't installed, all the other files aren't updated.
Details:

Updated by IE7: ADVPACK.DLL (7.0.5730.11), jscript.dll (5.7.0.5730), vbscript.dll (5.7.0.5730).

Updated by KB917344 and NOT by IE7: cscript.exe, dispex.dll, jsit.dll, scoit.dll, scrobj.dll, scrrnit.dll, scrrun.dll, vbsit.dll, wscript.exe, wshcon.dll, wshext.dll, ws***.dll, wshom.ocx.

So, in my opinion, if you remove KB917344 because IE7, you will update only those 3 files, while all the others will remain those original from XP SP2. So, I think it is necessary not to remove KB917344.

Somebody agree with me? :)

kSaMi

kSaMi

• 22 posts
Hello :hello:

New hotfixs have been released ;)

Gee

Gee

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
Looks like only two updates this month

Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB929969)
Date last published: 1/9/2007
Download size: 760 KB

http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

and the monthly

Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830)

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Links are for XP

the_guy

the_guy

Creator of the Windows ME Service Pack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

**Added IE7 and WMP11 to base install**
Removed KB925486, KB924496, KB918899, KB917734 and KB917344 for WinXP SP2 because of IE7/WMP11.

I discover that with IE7, only 3 files from hotfix KB917344 are updated. All the others are updated by the hotfix: so, if KB917344 isn't installed, all the other files aren't updated.
Details:

Updated by IE7: ADVPACK.DLL (7.0.5730.11), jscript.dll (5.7.0.5730), vbscript.dll (5.7.0.5730).

Updated by KB917344 and NOT by IE7: cscript.exe, dispex.dll, jsit.dll, scoit.dll, scrobj.dll, scrrnit.dll, scrrun.dll, vbsit.dll, wscript.exe, wshcon.dll, wshext.dll, ws***.dll, wshom.ocx.

So, in my opinion, if you remove KB917344 because IE7, you will update only those 3 files, while all the others will remain those original from XP SP2. So, I think it is necessary not to remove KB917344.

Somebody agree with me? :)

If you have the old scripten.exe file, you are protected. The full version of 917344 (which included cscript.exe) still only updated jscript.dll. Your choice.

Also, the list will be updated later tonight.

the_guy
Creator of the Windows ME Service Pack.

Gee

Gee

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
Anyone having trouble installing KB929969?

It has to be installed after IE7 (obviously)

I install IE7 in RunOnceEx and KB929969 right after it using /q /n /z as a switch. But it still appears in Windows Update.

TheCrowX

TheCrowX

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Anyone having trouble installing KB929969?

It has to be installed after IE7 (obviously)

I install IE7 in RunOnceEx and KB929969 right after it using /q /n /z as a switch. But it still appears in Windows Update.

Wow i thought i was the only one having that problem me too i install IE7 first then the hotfixes using batch mode by this command
for %%i in (%systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes1\*.exe) do start /wait %%i /z /n /o /q
but like u i have KB929969 in my windows update

Edit i have found that kb929969 is different from this KB929969
it appears that there is one KB929969 for windows xp SP2 and another one by the same name for only Internet Explorer 7
So should we include both of them ?

Thanx in advance

Edited by TheCrowX, 13 January 2007 - 06:53 AM.

Sonic

Sonic

Sonic

• Patrons
  • 1,603 posts

Edit i have found that kb929969 is different from this KB929969
it appears that there is one KB929969 for windows xp SP2 and another one by the same name for only Internet Explorer 7
So should we include both of them ?

Thanx in advance

KB929969 fix a problem in Internet Explorer all versions.
If you use IE6 you must use your first link.
If you have already installed IE7 use your second link.

edit: Must reboot system after IE7 setup before install KB929969.

TheCrowX

TheCrowX

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
then if i need to reboot there is no way i can include this hotfix right ?
My methode is batch mode
Thanx in advance

dheathorn

dheathorn
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I was just wondering where you get your list of updates from. Do you just get them from Windows Update or do you search through all the available downloads from microsoft for them? The reason I ask is because I do the latter and find a lot of updates that aren't included in this topic.

Also, how do you determine if, for example, an update is IE6 or pre WMP 11 and hence you removed it? I've looked at the downloads and the security bulletin and couldn't see anything relating to that kind of thing.

Cheers,
Dez.

Sonic

Sonic

Sonic

• Patrons
  • 1,603 posts
If I remember the method is WindowsUpdate.log parsing during a full Windows Update website update.
So this is the same list you see in Windows Update after a genuine windows xp sp2 install + wmp11 and ie7 installed.

Gee

Gee

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

then if i need to reboot there is no way i can include this hotfix right ?
My methode is batch mode
Thanx in advance

I think the only solution is to add it to RunOnce

Copy KB929969.exe to

$OEM$\$1\KB929969.exe

This will transfer the file to %systemdrive%

Then in your RunOnceEx.cmd

@echo off
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool" /v "GDITool" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000001" /f
SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%30 /VE /D "Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0" /f
REG ADD %KEY%30 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\dotnet2.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%40 /VE /D "Microsoft Internet Explorer 7" /f
REG ADD %KEY%40 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\IE7.exe /q" /f
REG ADD %KEY%40 /V 2 /D "%systemdrive%\install\KB929969.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%50 /VE /D "Windows Media Player 11" /f
REG ADD %KEY%50 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\wmp11.exe /q" /f
REG ADD %KEY%50 /V 2 /D "%systemdrive%\install\KB920342.exe /q /n /z" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\999 /VE /D "SysPrep and Reboot" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\999 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Reboot.cmd" /f

EXIT

Your KB929969.cmd file should contain

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce" /V KB929969.exe /q /n /z /D "%systemdrive%" /f

So on the next boot, it will automatically install it. Better yet, skip the kb929969.cmd and just include that line in your Reboot.cmd file.

Edited by Gee, 21 January 2007 - 08:34 PM.

darafat

darafat

• 41 posts
Sorry guys
but i don't understand why the svcpack.inf, during
installation is asking me to click on "continue" at this hotfix: KB893803

KB893803.exe /q /n /z

and another hotfix (for windows media player) is doing the same thing,
but it just notice that my system restore is turned off, but how can be that? o.O

thanks for help!

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN