Performance Data Helper problem

shodan

Hi,

I'm running Windows 2003 R2 x64, nlited with 1.2.1

after installing nvidia drivers (but it could be something else , like running windows update, but I'm fairly certain the culprit is either nvidia nforce or video drivers)

I got the following symptoms

opening "Computer Management" I had a popup saying

snap-in failed to initialize

Name: performance logs

also trying to start manually start the "Performance Logs and Alerts" would fail

starting it via the console would say something to the effect that it failed and "pdh.dll was not found"

although the file was present

also trying to install Disk keeper would fail, because during the install it tries to start the service and if that fails the install fails

manually running Diskeeper\DkService.exe would also give the same error as running

C:\SYSTEM\PROGRAMS\WINDOWS\system32\smlogsvc.exe (Performance Logs and Alerts)

on an unrelated note please be careful , if you search for a file that is in your windows/system32 from outside of windows

for example searching "pdh.dll" by opening c:\, then hitting F3 and searching for it would yield no result even if the file is present, this is part of windows' babysitting algorythm that search does not return files from windows or windows/system32 so make sure when you search for a file that the search path is at least "c:\windows"

the fix was simply to overwrite SMLOGCFG.dll from an original from your install CD and then re-registering it with regsvr32 smlogcfg.dll

following the total lack of response posts from my last post I am not interested in documenting this further without resquest

bye

shodan

Well here I am in my bug collecting mood and interested in your findings.

For starters that is unexpected...and now I would just need your preset to try, thx. Of course if you have any more comments they are welcome.