royalty licence

my laptop came with mce 2005 and im contemplating formatting and reinstalling as its partitiond strangly and full of stuff id never use etc.

i wanted to know if i can reinstall as xp pro using the royalty key (or the one on the bottom of my laptop) or weather the key required the media components installed to work/be legal etc.

yes you are alowed to downgrade your windows to any version below it:

in basic:

windows xp home can only downgrade to windows ME/98/95

windows xp pro also to windows 2000 and NT4 (workstation)

windows xp mce - like xpro (and ofcaurse to xp pro itself...).

in basic:

Only Pro has downgrade rights. Here is section 1.7 of the EULA:

1.7 Use of Previous Version Of SOFTWARE. If the COA which accompanies the HARDWARE identifies the SOFTWARE as Microsoft Windows XP Professional SOFTWARE, then in lieu of installing and using Microsoft Windows XP Professional SOFTWARE, you may install, use, access, display and run the same language version of ONE (1) of the following versions: Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Professional, Microsoft® Windows® NT Workstation version 4.0 or Microsoft® Windows® 98 (Second Edition) ("Downgrade Software") on the COMPUTER, provided (1) you agree that Downgrade Software support will NOT be provided hereunder by Manufacturer, MS or Microsoft Corporation, their affiliates or subsidiaries; (2) you agree that neither Manufacturer, MS nor Microsoft Corporation are obligated to provide you with the Downgrade Software or media; (3) you may not loan, rent, lease, lend or otherwise transfer the CD or back-up copy of Microsoft Windows XP Professional to another end user, except as otherwise provided in the transfer provisions of this EULA; and (4) such Downgrade Software shall be deemed "SOFTWARE" for the purposes of this EULA and use of the Downgrade Software shall be in compliance with all the terms of this EULA, except that, with respect to Microsoft Windows 98 (Second Edition), your Connection Maximum shall be limited to five (5) Devices. If you exercise the downgrade rights granted herein, you may install, use, access, display and run the Microsoft Windows XP Professional SOFTWARE, provided (1) you remove the Downgrade Software from your hard drive; (2) you do not loan, rent, lease, lend or otherwise transfer the CD or back-up copy of Downgrade Software to another end user, except as otherwise provided in the transfer provisions of the EULA for the Downgrade Software; and (3) such Microsoft Windows XP Professional SOFTWARE shall be deemed "SOFTWARE" for the purposes of this EULA and use of the Microsoft Windows XP Professional SOFTWARE shall be in compliance with all of the terms of this EULA. If the COA which accompanies the HARDWARE identifies the SOFTWARE as either Windows XP Tablet PC Edition or Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 then no downgrade rights are granted herein.

• 1 month later...
my laptop came with mce 2005 and im contemplating formatting and reinstalling as its partitiond strangly and full of stuff id never use etc.

i wanted to know if i can reinstall as xp pro using the royalty key (or the one on the bottom of my laptop) or weather the key required the media components installed to work/be legal etc.

Yes, asuming instalation with OEM keys accepted.

EDIT: Actually the correct answer should be no; reinstallation would not occur, however installation may.

Edited by Ascii2

Only Pro has downgrade rights. Here is section 1.7 of the EULA:
Section 1.7 from which EULA?

Windows XP 32bit SP2 Pro OEM English (Also covers TPC and MCE)

EULAID:XPSP2_RM.0_PRO_OEM_EN

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

in basic:

I'm curious and confused. I have MCE. Does that mean I can "downgrade" to XP Pro? Somehow I doubt that since Dell wanted an extra $150 for XP Pro which is why I don't have it. So could I find an XP Pro CD and use my XP MCE key to install Xp Pro? If so, and if it's legal, I'd like to know... that would be good for me!

I'm curious and confused. I have MCE. Does that mean I can "downgrade" to XP Pro? Somehow I doubt that since Dell wanted an extra $150 for XP Pro which is why I don't have it. So could I find an XP Pro CD and use my XP MCE key to install Xp Pro? If so, and if it's legal, I'd like to know... that would be good for me!

No, The XP Pro EULA clearly states what the downgrade rights are.

XP Pro -> 2000 Pro

XP Pro -> NT 4.0 Workstation

XP Pro -> 98 (Second Edition)

XP TPC - No downgrade rights

XP MCE - No downgrade rights

The XP Home EULA does not grant any downgrade rights.

Edited by Bezalel

So could I find an XP Pro CD and use my XP MCE key to install Xp Pro?
No. However you can find an XP Pro CD and use my XP MCE key to install Xp MCE.

If you use a Windows XP Professional CD to install Windows XP with the MCE key and also forgo inputing the contents of Media Center Edition CD2, Windows Media Media Center Edition 200x, where x is a digit greater than 1 and less than 5 (depending on what updates are installed), would be installed with eqivalent functionality to Windows XP Professional, less the existence of a few start menu shortcuts (they could easly be appended), would be installed. I believe that you may find this acceptable.

Why not just sell your MCE disc and install XP Home on it?

Assuming you never need to use it as a Remote Desktop server.

Assuming you have an MCE disc.

I am thinking you are also assuming the original poster has Windows XP Home Edition installation source and key.

I am thinking you are also assuming the original poster has Windows XP Home Edition installation source and key.

Nope, I am assuming he SELLS his XP MCE and buys XP Home Edition,

making a small profit in the process, since firstly, you cannot even buy

MCE in shops and secondly, it is more valuable than XP Home because

of the very features it has that he does not need or want.

Edited by LeveL

Nope, I am assuming he SELLS his XP MCE and buys XP Home Edition,

making a small profit in the process, since firstly, you cannot even buy

MCE in shops and secondly, it is more valuable than XP Home because

of the very features it has that he does not need or want.

How do you know Idontwantspam does not neer or want features in MCE?