Using Cdimage Gui To Make Vista Rc2 Image File

I've been fighting with RC2 and CDImage GUI Beta 3, trying to make a bootable .iso, but every time I try to boot the image in VMWare, it says NTLDR is missing. Does anyone know the correct settings to use in CDImage? Searching the Vista threads here has proven useless, as has google. I'm thinking that I just need a Vista boot sector file, rather than the XP boot sector file that comes with CDImage.

Or maybe I'm using the wrong tool?

I've been fighting with RC2 and CDImage GUI Beta 3, trying to make a bootable .iso, but every time I try to boot the image in VMWare, it says NTLDR is missing. Does anyone know the correct settings to use in CDImage? Searching the Vista threads here has proven useless, as has google. I'm thinking that I just need a Vista boot sector file, rather than the XP boot sector file that comes with CDImage.

Or maybe I'm using the wrong tool?

wrong tool, use OSCDimg

oscdimg -n -m -b<location>etfsboot.com <Projectlocation> <ISOlocation>

or with paths it would like this
oscdimg -n -m -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\iso c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso

you can get oscdimg from the BDD 2007 or several varsious toolikits from MS

Thank you very much.

EDIT: Still won't boot, but VMWare isn't giving any errors either, it just sits there with a black screen.

BTW, what's -m do? It's not listed in the commands when I type oscdimg /?

lol nevermind, I removed -m and just got a nice little error telling me what it's for.

Still doesn't boot though, even after 5 tries. Any ideas? I'm using oscdimg.exe v2.45 and etfsboot.com from the XP SP2 OPK. Maybe it's the wrong version?

FINAL EDIT: Turns out I had to use xcopy to make sure I was copying everything to my hd. Also, I used etfsboot.com from the Vista disc, since it's 2 years newer. Boots fine now.

Edited by SyntaxError

• 2 weeks later...

I could post my cdimagegui.INI from when I repacked 5840.

You'd just need to copy it to the cdimage folder, them run cdimage &

browse to where your setup files are & press start to creat the image.

I save the ini's for all iso's I repack to save me resetting the program

defaults each time..

is this boot sector from the x86 or x64 RTM DVD?

Hi there,

For anyone who is interested, I have used CDImage GUI to create a Vista disc. Just use the etfsboot.com file for boot image instead of the one that comes with CDImage Gui.

Attached is the boot image extracted from Vista RTM DVD for those that want to use it :D Enjoy!

is this boot sector from the x86 or x64 RTM DVD?

Hi there,

For anyone who is interested, I have used CDImage GUI to create a Vista disc. Just use the etfsboot.com file for boot image instead of the one that comes with CDImage Gui.

Attached is the boot image extracted from Vista RTM DVD for those that want to use it :D Enjoy!

this is the boot sector from the x86 RTM release