TClock3 0.3.5

WildBill

I tested that version a bit and apart from a crash when closing the options panel, it appears to be working fine on my 98SE. No crash on exit (closing the program). However, all the skinning code has been ripped appart, so it's really of no use for me. Just wanted to check it.

I do have many system files updated, however, as well as KernelEx installed. If it weren't for the latter it wouldn't have worked, as the author plays the wise guy saying "Age check: OS too old". Well, in his face, I have this version running just fine on this "mathusalemic" OS - just had to add the exe to kexver.ini's Override section.

Hey WildBill! It's interesting too see that you're trying to implement skinning.

Would you like to explore/port my LameSkin code? It could be very useful for you. Plz contact me via PM/mail/ICQ etc. if you're interested! :thumbup

Unzip it to its own folder and run TClock3Test.exe. Then right-click your taskbar clock and click TClock3 Properties to open the properties window. If you want it to start up every time you boot, go to the Misc tab and check the box at the bottom.

Unzip it to its own folder and run TClock3Test.exe. Then right-click your taskbar clock and click TClock3 Properties to open the properties window. If you want it to start up every time you boot, go to the Misc tab and check the box at the bottom.

thanks wildbill, I'll try ;)

@ wildbill, say mate... could you please make the next release a little more structered.

i mean, why do we get all the source files in that package, it is just space.

the most of us dont even now how to use that.

Cant you make two seperate packages?

one with the source and one smaller package with out the source?

damian666

@ wildbill, say mate... could you please make the next release a little more structered.

i mean, why do we get all the source files in that package, it is just space.

the most of us dont even now how to use that.

Cant you make two seperate packages?

one with the source and one smaller package with out the source?

damian666

Hee, hee. Sorry about that. I'll try to organize it a bit better. I hate having to maintain two separate packages, but I'll see if I can at least put the source in a separate folder.

Not for a couple of weeks at least, but I'm making good progress. I'm basically at the point of fixing bugs. Only window borders will be skinnable at first (and for some reason not every app gets skinned), but it's looking pretty good given the little time I've had available to work on it.

Don't mean to push, but I'm also waiting for some fixes regarding Win9x issues, especially the exit crash in Explorer. I sincerely hope it will be taken care of, as it'd be sad to drop support for 9x as many others do nowadays (see Winamp 5.5 beta).

I'm willing to test and post Dr.Watson crash reports, if helpful.

Here's another progress pic...

2lbjjhh.png

It's really hard for me to test under Win98 as I don't normally keep a PC with that installed. I've made a lot of changes to this version around the shutdown code that might help under Win98 though, so there's hope with this one.

Edited by WildBill

Let's hope those changes will be of help.

Anyway, I was just thinking of you having Win98 installed under a virtual machine, as many other developers do.

Using a VM would be a cool possibility. Is there an easy way to do this? I have a spare laptop HD so I could load Win98 on it again, but that would take all day :wacko:

I'm trying to get the next TClock3 ready and I'll release it as soon as I fix these last few bugs. One thing I'm considering is dropping support for importing WB skins. I found that skin files have some text at the top that prohibits using them with anything other than WB. Personally I think there's zero legal force behind it, but I might drop it just to avoid the fight. I've been refactoring the heck out of the internal code and at some point I plan to totally redesign the TClock3 interface to make it a lot easier to set up a skin, to the point where importing might not be necessary anyway. Of course, their files and mine are both just .INI files, so if there was demand for it I guess it wouldn't be long before someone wrote a converter anyway. If anyone has an opinion on the matter, I wouldn't mind hearing what you think.

Edited by WildBill

To be honest, the skinning feature kept me hooked to this project. I haven't had a look at the skin files, but if that's true, then I see little point to fighting for it to work under 9x.

For most users, creating own skins instead of comfortably importing already existing ones would just be a turn-off. Tihiy's Revolution Pack already does skinning - and in a more advanced way - and Stoic Joker's version of TClock works fine without crashing on exit, at least on my machine.

At this point, I dunno what to say... Let's hear other opinions.