Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

TClock3 0.3.5

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

damian666

damian666

creator of the vistapack

• Developers
  • 678 posts
hi guys, well wildbill.
i thought i give u some bugs and stuff.
but i see that it has allready be done.
the most things i have also here.
but the only thing that didnt work for me is the skinning of the tray and clock and the other windows.
the taskbar works prime!
tried it first with some bmp's.
not good, switched to wb skin, and voila!
so keep up the work man.
and maybe its a good idea to ask tihiy for assistance in the matter?

bye bye

damian666

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Donator

This is a great project! I hope we'll be able to share expirience.
So far, it does not work neither on my XP (doesn't show interface) nor 98 (slowdown-eat all resources-hang). :}

WildBill

WildBill

• Developers
  • 695 posts
It should run on XP. I tested it on XP Home SP2 and it ran for me, though the tray didn't paint correctly. While it runs on 98, it definitely doesn't play well with it and I probably have a GDI resource leak somewhere. I'll have to see if I can refactor the code to make resource leaks go away. One thing of note is that the interface doesn't show up by default -- you have to right-click on the clock and select "TClock3 Properties" to make it show up.

I went through the Revolutions Pack thread and I'm really impressed. You're making the whole OS over ;) I'd love to see if it can be ported to Win2k since that's all I run (except for testing specific problems that people point out). I saw that you were having problems getting it to run on Win2k -- I don't know how your software works but I wouldn't mind offering some help if I can. I use a local and/or global hook in TClock3; if you're doing something similar I can probably help at least a little since I had to deal with lots of OS issues already in getting TClock3 to run. At least maybe I can try to steer you around the pitfalls that I fell into :P

I also have a small alpha program in the XPize forum here called SmoothText that overrides Windows DLL behavior by using a global hook, loading the DLL that I want to override, using VirtualProtect() to allow changing the code, and altering it to point to custom routines. I don't know if you're attempting anything similar, but I've managed to make it pretty reliable on Win2k if that might help you. I don't know if Win98 can do what SmoothText does, but you surely know a lot more about 98 than I do. SmoothText tries to render *all* text in Win2k using sub-pixel aliasing (sort of a poor-man's ClearType™ without violating the patent). Subpixel-aliasing text was invented by Apple in 1981, so I've read, so it should be safe.

Edited by WildBill, 12 February 2007 - 11:12 PM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Donator

I don't use global hooks because there is no reliable API hooking methods in 9x.
Instead, i hack system DLLs directly :whistle:
I swear now that i'll definitely make an Revolutions Pack version for 2000 too. AppInit_DLLs and VirtualProtect will help me.

As for subpixel font rendering - well, man, you rock! It is incredible, fast and stable. However, my eyes hurt - but that is minor detail :blushing:

I went through the Revolutions Pack thread and I'm really impressed.

I'm really impressed that you could read that all.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developers
  • 695 posts
Thanks for the compliments. It's good to hear that you're interested in improving Win2k as well :) I'll be happy to share whatever I can if you need any help.

I went through every file in TClock3 from top to bottom and I located the GDI leak. It was actually Win98 problem -- apparently the Windows TransparentBlt() call has a GDI leak in Win95 and Win98. Fortunately TClock3 has a replacement for Win95, so I simply told it to use that for 98 as well. I also found quite a few other GDI and memory leaks in my code, and I put try...catch blocks around everything I could find that allocates something and deallocates it later. If there are any further leaks, they should be architectural in nature (such as having a finalization routine not get rid of everything that the corresponding initialization routine creates). I tested the newest version on my Win98 box and it's performing much better. I've updated the download link at the top to point to the new version.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts
Tested 0.2.8 earlier today. On the bright side:
Skinning is faster now and doesn't take up so many resources (at start)
Painting glitch below the Start button is fixed

Resources (System|User|GDI) in percent:
63 63 64 initially
34 34 61 immediately after TClock3 0.2.8 startup
7 7 54 after changing and applying some settings
9 9 64 after Explorer crash and restart

All other issues reported previously are still present. There will come their time. ;)

After changing and applying some settings and closing the options panel, a click on the Start button crashed Explorer. Most tray icons haven't been restored. :(
EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at 0000:00000001.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=0187 EIP=00000001 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=0080f66c SS=018f ESP=0080f57c EBP=0080f618
ECX=019c0647 DS=018f ESI=0000c690 FS=2537
EDX=00003ade ES=018f EDI=0080f620 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
01 00 00 00 04 70 00 c3 e2 00 f0 65 04 70 00 65 
Stack dump:
019c0647 00000c44 00000002 00000000 00000000 0080f654 019c0666 0080f618 0000c690 0080f66c 1434c5b4 bff713e2 00000187 bff74272 0001cb04 0001cb04

Targaff

Targaff

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
Bill: For me the taskbar flickers every second if you have the clock format set to display seconds. Bizarrely, this stops happening if you move the mouse cursor over the taskbar... is there anything I can do to alleviate this?

Also, I've set double left click on the clock to show calendar, but it doesn't seem to work - I can only get to it via the context menu. Do I need to change anything for this (this was actually inherited from my old TClock2 setup, so i only just noticed it).

Cheers!

WildBill

WildBill

• Developers
  • 695 posts
In case anyone is interested, here is FontSmoother 0.1.4, another program I've been working on. As described here, it's a program that tries to smooth all on-screen fonts in Windows 2000 using sub-pixel antialiasing. Please feel free to try it (and offer feedback if you can :rolleyes: )

soporific

soporific

Friend of MSFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
I was playing around with this in Windows 98se and was trying to find a good use for it, when i magically improved the font for all the shortcuts on the desktop. It looks really good, so its now a candidate for inclusion in AutoPatcher as on optional addon (if its OK with you). So, the thing that isn't so good that will help me make a decision is the question of the clock. Until i choose to 'Do not customise clock' all i get is a black blob where the clock should be.

Is this normal behaviour on a Win98se machine?

The utility is looking good so far ... black blob clock aside that is ...

Edited by soporific, 10 March 2007 - 10:56 AM.

Targaff

Targaff

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
I like what this is doing, because where it works it looks great, but there are a number of issues (leaving aside the fact that the zip file appears to contain 2 different versions?). I'm not sure how many of these you're aware of already, but anyhow:

Firstly there's this very editbox (image #1). As you can see, the cursor position gradually becomes more and more displaced the further to the right of the editbox you get, making editing very difficult.

Secondly, the smoothing can have a detrimental effect on the layout in some windows - see image #2 for an example where the text on imageshack.us is no longer on a single line like it should be.

Thirdly, for some reason the Documents menu under Start doesn't render correctly for some reason if it is (empty) - see the third pic.

I'm also having some problems with the clock, though funnily enough the normal clock works fine, but customising with TClock results in part of the clock not being displayed - see image #4 for a before/after.

Lastly, smoothed text can be badly corrupted if another window containing certain elements is overlaid, e.g. my browser window looks like the last picture once I've had a multiline editbox over it.

I hope these issues can be resolved, because I'd like to use this if they can, but unfortunately the errors.

(Also hope these attach properly...)

Attached Files

WildBill

WildBill

• Developers
  • 695 posts
You're definitely seeing the same SnoothText issues that I have. I've been trying to tackle the text width issue but I haven't yet. I'm finding that Firefox is assuming that the width of a line of text equals the sum of the widths of the individual letters that make up that text, but when using subpixel smoothing that isn't the case anymore. One at a time I want to resolve these issues, but my time is limited and it may take a while. As I come out with new versions I'll release them promptly. The ZIP definitely has problems and I didn't intend to put two versions in there. You obviously should use the newer one ;)

For TClock3, you don't have to tell it not to customize the clock. Instead, set the tray to "skin tray" and tell the Clock full skinning page to use one of the quicklaunch images. You *might* also have to tell the format page to use a custom format, like "h:nn tt", but I'm not 100% sure there.

As a general rule, I never have objections on redistributing any software I write, including source code. Hopefully someone might see my code and offer to improve it someday (I can dream, can't I?) :)

Targaff

Targaff

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
Bill: thanks for the info.

Do you happen to have any suggestions about the taskbar flickering I mention above? I thought it might go away if I took seconds out of the clock format (I use h:nn:ss @@@.@ usually), but it doesn't unfortunately. Once you throw in taskbar transparency it quickly becomes quite pronounced and distracting.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developers
  • 695 posts
Updated to version 0.2.9, please see first post for a download link...

WildBill

WildBill

• Developers
  • 695 posts
Uploaded version 0.3.0, see first post for info...

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts
Systray icons do not appear, they're hidden under the background.
System resources drop to a very low level (28%), especially if system menu is skinned.
Crashes on exit, which forces an Explorer reload.
Not tested yet.

Ascii2

Ascii2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
The application does not seem to work correctly using Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4; the clock does not appear. A black figure instead appears where it should be.

Dilusion

Dilusion

• Members
  • 13 posts
Great Program!!! :thumbup

I do have some trouble with it tho I use win200 proffesional sp4 and it does just show a dark figure when there is no skin imported from a windows blinds file. but when a skin is applied for example i applied XPProfessionalvIII it skinned the taskbar prety nicely but it still needs work. The start button was skinned ok and theat was good. but the taskbar kind of resizes itself which i think should be fixed too. Lastly the clock doesnt appear unless i resize the taskbar.

But otherwize good Job!!! :yes: :)

edit: I tried another skin and the skinning worked as good as i wanted it the only major problem still is that the clock cannot be seen unless the takbar is resized.

Edited by Dilusion, 02 August 2007 - 02:57 AM.

Dilusion

Dilusion

• Members
  • 13 posts
Oh sry O got it working now i just had to delete the regestry folder for tclock2 and customize the setting like no put tray clock fill. Great Program !!! ;)

Magicbobo

Magicbobo
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Unfortunately, I tried the version 0.3 and turn out a failure of skinning

I dont't know whether it is about the skin files or language or others.

whatever Xp or 2000
: (

WildBill

WildBill

• Developers
  • 695 posts
Uploaded TClock3 0.3.1 and updated the first post.

Dilusion

Dilusion

• Members
  • 13 posts
i can never add halos and stuff to the windows for the close button and maximize and stuff can someone post a sceenshot and show how it can be done. or can it be done?

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts
I'm sorry to say that none of the previous issues have been fixed in 0.3.1, apart - maybe - for the resources usage that is not that high now. But it still crashes on exit, systray icons still don't show no matter what kind of fill I choose, but most of all, TClock cannot run when Inspectr is enabled and running - it just freezes all processes including Explorer, and will not work until the system is rebooted.
And if I'm not mistaken, the system menu is not being skinned anymore. But I disabled it anyway.
All this is happening on the same Win98SE system (with some system files upgraded) - Pentium III @ 800MHz, 240 MB RAM, 16MB on-board SiS 630 video.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developers
  • 695 posts
Sorry. I haven't done any further testing on Win98. My test laptop is running 2k again. The update was an attempt to fix some crash bugs that pop up when TClock3 starts, that I think were due to race conditions. The fix definitely won't affect resource usage.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developers
  • 695 posts
Uploaded TClock3 0.3.2 and updated the first thread post. This has two major bugfixes.

Dilusion

Dilusion

• Members
  • 13 posts
great it seems that this version lowered explorer.exe cpu usage :thumbup but still needs work on at start menu skinning it shows pink shadow on left of list

Attached Files

Edited by Dilusion, 18 August 2007 - 02:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN