vLite 0.5 alpha - Vista Lite

nuhi

im just curious,, what are some of the final disk sizes that some of you ppl are coming up with after vliting it ? me im still in the process of testing it out on free trial,, ill have to wait until june until i get my real copy,

Mine is 1.07GB, after I removed everythin except video drivers and wallpaper (because of that OOBE problem).

bledd, ok then we'll see how it develops with next version

DigeratiPrime, niice bug reports, gonna take care of it, thanks. And reward for you is already existing option to Always Enable ISO Page in the options ;)

Innocent Devil, well retry it when you get the RTM, don't rush it, it's for 5744+.

pierre626, how about not playing the invincible pirate.

hi everyone !

this is my first reply on this forum and i wanted to say that nlite is great app and that nuhi is doing a great job ! can't wait for the final vlite...

the thing is that i am trying to use vlite with built 6000 and for some reason whan i finish removing only the games for example (103mb) the file shows that i actually removed 400 mb or more ! strange..

anybody bumped into this error?

bledd: I'm not pointing a finger or anything but I saw that error myself, and it's because you're probably using the WinBeta AIO DVD, and if so, it's not going to work.

The WinBeta AIO DVD, for those that don't know it, is a hacked version; the WinBeta team did some tinkering with it before releasing it. They added some network code early on for some reason I haven't been able to figure out - you'll see a Command Prompt open up with a net start command that sits in the background on the initial setup screen in the GUI - and they replaced the wallpaper also. There are some other little hacks/glitches also that simply prevent vLite from working properly in my testing, and I tried Home, Home Premium, and Business editions - not one of them worked properly and resulted in that same error each time.

To put it bluntly, so far in my testing it's this simple: vLite doesn't work on the WinBeta AIO DVD release, so if you have that one, forget it. Even copying the files to the hard drive doesn't help, nor does trying to copy just the necessary files and skipping the included 64 bit sources. You need to get an unmodified AIO disc, either from Microsoft or some other source, or a straight pure 32 bit Vista RTM DVD image to work with.

I located a real Vista RTM ISO I grabbed almost as soon as Vista went RTM; it's nice and clean and the exact 32 bit ISO Microsoft has, and vLite works perfectly with it. I haven't had one single issue so far in my testing of the three editions: Home, Home Premium, and Business.

I could care less about Ultimate, so my focus is Home and Business editions. Right now I'm vLiting Business and the ISO is about 1.17GB so... now to burn it and reinstall again, see how it fares.

Home and Home Premium are most closely associated with XP Home, so Business - which is more like XP Pro - is my "ultimate" goal. A nice trim vLite edition of Business that's fast and mean... almost there...

Thanks again, nuhi... simply amazing piece of work you've created...

bb

"WinBeta AIO DVD"

"so far in my testing it's this simple: vLite doesn't work on the WinBeta AIO DVD release"

Ahhhhh...isn't discussion of improperly obtained or distributed, or pirated software, taboo here? Thought so...

"You need to get an unmodified AIO disc, either from Microsoft or some other source"

Theres no such thing as a legitimate AIO disc for Vista from MS.

"I located a real Vista RTM ISO"

Hmmm...OK....

bledd: I'm not pointing a finger or anything but I saw that error myself, and it's because you're probably using the WinBeta AIO DVD, and if so, it's not going to work.

The WinBeta AIO DVD, for those that don't know it, is a hacked version; the WinBeta team did some tinkering with it before releasing it. They added some network code early on for some reason I haven't been able to figure out - you'll see a Command Prompt open up with a net start command that sits in the background on the initial setup screen in the GUI - and they replaced the wallpaper also. There are some other little hacks/glitches also that simply prevent vLite from working properly in my testing, and I tried Home, Home Premium, and Business editions - not one of them worked properly and resulted in that same error each time.

To put it bluntly, so far in my testing it's this simple: vLite doesn't work on the WinBeta AIO DVD release, so if you have that one, forget it. Even copying the files to the hard drive doesn't help, nor does trying to copy just the necessary files and skipping the included 64 bit sources. You need to get an unmodified AIO disc, either from Microsoft or some other source, or a straight pure 32 bit Vista RTM DVD image to work with.

I located a real Vista RTM ISO I grabbed almost as soon as Vista went RTM; it's nice and clean and the exact 32 bit ISO Microsoft has, and vLite works perfectly with it. I haven't had one single issue so far in my testing of the three editions: Home, Home Premium, and Business.

I could care less about Ultimate, so my focus is Home and Business editions. Right now I'm vLiting Business and the ISO is about 1.17GB so... now to burn it and reinstall again, see how it fares.

Home and Home Premium are most closely associated with XP Home, so Business - which is more like XP Pro - is my "ultimate" goal. A nice trim vLite edition of Business that's fast and mean... almost there...

Thanks again, nuhi... simply amazing piece of work you've created...

bb

Edited by Spooky

Thanks for the great job.

Vista 32bit Ent, after removing movie and DVD maker, Tablet PC option, wallpager and media sample and installation, I got error on The "turn windows feature on and off" function

post-115974-1164341018_thumb.jpg