Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

vLite 0.5 alpha - Vista Lite

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Spooky

Spooky

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
"WinBeta AIO DVD"
"so far in my testing it's this simple: vLite doesn't work on the WinBeta AIO DVD release"

Ahhhhh...isn't discussion of improperly obtained or distributed, or pirated software, taboo here? Thought so...

"You need to get an unmodified AIO disc, either from Microsoft or some other source"

Theres no such thing as a legitimate AIO disc for Vista from MS.

"I located a real Vista RTM ISO"

Hmmm...OK....

bledd: I'm not pointing a finger or anything but I saw that error myself, and it's because you're probably using the WinBeta AIO DVD, and if so, it's not going to work.

The WinBeta AIO DVD, for those that don't know it, is a hacked version; the WinBeta team did some tinkering with it before releasing it. They added some network code early on for some reason I haven't been able to figure out - you'll see a Command Prompt open up with a net start command that sits in the background on the initial setup screen in the GUI - and they replaced the wallpaper also. There are some other little hacks/glitches also that simply prevent vLite from working properly in my testing, and I tried Home, Home Premium, and Business editions - not one of them worked properly and resulted in that same error each time.

To put it bluntly, so far in my testing it's this simple: vLite doesn't work on the WinBeta AIO DVD release, so if you have that one, forget it. Even copying the files to the hard drive doesn't help, nor does trying to copy just the necessary files and skipping the included 64 bit sources. You need to get an unmodified AIO disc, either from Microsoft or some other source, or a straight pure 32 bit Vista RTM DVD image to work with.

I located a real Vista RTM ISO I grabbed almost as soon as Vista went RTM; it's nice and clean and the exact 32 bit ISO Microsoft has, and vLite works perfectly with it. I haven't had one single issue so far in my testing of the three editions: Home, Home Premium, and Business.

I could care less about Ultimate, so my focus is Home and Business editions. Right now I'm vLiting Business and the ISO is about 1.17GB so... now to burn it and reinstall again, see how it fares.

Home and Home Premium are most closely associated with XP Home, so Business - which is more like XP Pro - is my "ultimate" goal. A nice trim vLite edition of Business that's fast and mean... almost there...

Thanks again, nuhi... simply amazing piece of work you've created...

bb

Edited by Spooky, 23 November 2006 - 11:54 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

bledd

bledd

msfn is a friend of mine!

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,733 posts
that'll be why then

Posted Image

TEMPNEGRO

TEMPNEGRO

• 24 posts
its good, increases compatability

Only pirate if he admits to cracking it

qfox

qfox
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the great job.

Vista 32bit Ent, after removing movie and DVD maker, Tablet PC option, wallpager and media sample and installation, I got error on The "turn windows feature on and off" function

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.jpg   63.88KB   52 downloads

KenanBalamir

KenanBalamir

Junior

• Pip
  • 58 posts

I can't believe it : I was right, the new version has been released on a monday! :w00t:

Anyway, thanks for your work.
I'm sure it's already wonderful. ;)

I agree.. Thanks nuhi.. Is support multilanguage ?

Edited by KenanBalamir, 24 November 2006 - 10:57 AM.

Türkçe Yazılım - http://www.turkceyazilim.net | Günün İpucu - http://www.gununipucu.net

Stead

Stead

• PipPip
  • 184 posts
I hate to ask a stupid question, and, well, Does this too lwork in vista?

i'm running x64 rc2, and i always get the filter driver error, I realise it doesn't work x64 edition just yet, and i don't actually have the x86 rc2, However, i was jsut wondering if it does work, as i just tried for kicks and fun on the x64 one and it brings up that filter manager error, I notied after reading through here that if you've used nlite to remove things from xp/2003 you need to install the filter manager? (i'm sure thats the right thing) again, i just wanted to see if i could get it to show me what you can remove already! didn't expect it to work :)

So basically, in short, does vlite run under vista? or do you need to have an installed xp for it to run?

ZeroFlux

ZeroFlux
  • 5 posts
vLite works in WinXP-SP2 and Vista 32bit, don't know about 64bit OS's.

boooggy

boooggy

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts
it doesnt work in x64...

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & vLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,348 posts
qfox, ok, gonna be easy to fix

KenanBalamir, if you mean does it have translated GUI, no not yet but it will in 2-3 versions.
If you mean on Vista then probably not as I have never tried non-English Vista, is there such a thing yet?

Stead, it should work just fine but wait another update in monday.

boooggy, how do you know that? I said I haven't tried it yet but it should work. Weed was using it on the x64 XP and it works, but on x64 Vista I'll try these days.
http://www.nliteos.com | http://www.vlite.net
Remove components and customize Windows

jimmsta

jimmsta

computer janitor

• PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
I've been running Vista Business at work for the past 2 weeks... It's got all the bells and whistles that Vista Home Premium has (although, no Media Center). For a business OS, it is not tuned correctly, IMO. vLite will be a key tool to use when my shop starts deploying Vista Business onto Client PC's. We don't need Aero or any multimedia functionality for Business customers.

Thank you, nuhi! This tool is perfect. I hope further development goes well; I'll be following development of the app closely, as it should provide to be very useful in the future. ;)
Creator and Maintainer of BootZilla.org

minigun

minigun

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
nuhi you should start suing people that break the licensing agreement you would be a millionaire in minutes :P

LeveL

LeveL

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

nuhi you should start suing people that break the licensing agreement you would be a millionaire in minutes :P

Isn't it quite difficult to "break" the EULA for vLite though?

Maybe it should be revised/more strict, maybe not, but all I can
get from the EULA is... don't resell vLite, don't include it with
magazines unless you have asked Nuhi first, don't disassemble
it, don't include/distribute parts of vLite (I assume this means
things like NLITE.INF or any other files created solely by vLite
that are part of your ISO?)

I still can't believe Nuhi GIVES AWAY stuff like nLite and vLite,
by now I am sure he could sell nLite... the problem I guess is,
people would then expect "after sales support" and with a product
of this nature that would be pretty hellish! Still, nLite is absolutely
priceless for what it does. I have said this before but it must be the
best free program you can possibly get. Yes it beats GIMP, OpenOffice,
it beats anything else!

RaBBiT

RaBBiT
  • 6 posts
can't dowlnload the vLite, error page only...

minigun

minigun

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Isn't it quite difficult to "break" the EULA for vLite though?

this is what i meant ;)

vLite will be a key tool to use when my shop starts deploying Vista Business onto Client PC's.

5. vLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes

unless the guy plans on giving nuhi a large sum of money :P

Edited by minigun, 26 November 2006 - 08:04 AM.

RYU81

RYU81

• PipPip
  • 287 posts
anyone can upload it again?I can't download on homesite is show error
Images in signatures shall NOT exceed a total of 300x100 and 80kb.

LeveL

LeveL

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
Heh, you're right minigun, I cant see the wood for the trees. :blushing:

People openly say they are using vLite for commercial gain,
Nuhi deserves some sort of commission I think.

anyone can upload it again?I can't download on homesite is show error

Maybe its not free anymore huh?! :w00t:

bledd

bledd

msfn is a friend of mine!

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,733 posts
use the donate button then :angel

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
Wooo, new forum. Nice. :)

pppx00

pppx00

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts
And new version will be released today tho :rolleyes:

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & vLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,348 posts
Not today...had to move the vlite homepage server, gotta wait 24h

3aces

3aces

Bass Lover!!! :D

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
nuhi......are you workin non stop on vlite...or a bit on nlite as well.......no offense just wondering....if nlite is worth working on

Posted Image

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & vLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,348 posts
I'm still using XP and will use it until my favorite firewall and drivers are compatible. (2-3 months)

Also not everyone will switch to Vista (2-3 years)

So...nLite is equally important to me as his younger brother, aka Hype Reducer 2000.

3aces

3aces

Bass Lover!!! :D

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
sweet....well i was just saying..i only really need a new printer..and im away with vista...lexmark...have seemed to terminate driver updates for my printer series.......

any chance we could get a quick post..of the new things in vlite...or do we have to wait and see

Edited by 3aces, 27 November 2006 - 02:02 PM.

Posted Image

Jeronimo

Jeronimo

vLite user

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
I was forced to perform a clean install after I (Partition Magic 8) crippled my partition. Had to do it several times over as I need to install from an image due to not having a DVD writer. After several installations and 1 run of vLite, I now have it as my primary OS and it works almost flawlessly.

1 setup problem:
Timezone is not properly selected by default.

1 vLite issue(?):
Search in contents does not work (as according to nuhi could be the case) and I hate the annoying pop-up for activatation of indexing.

1 general Vista problem:
I have 1 view (details with name, size, type, date, attributes) which I always want to use, but no matter if I set "Remember each folder's view setting" or not, it keeps using its own kind of more or less random view.
I create a directory Downloads and it sets a default view with tags and rating columns. I copy an empty folder with the proper columns and everything is ok. I never had to deal with this in XP, but if it the only issue, then I might just live with it ;-)

Edited by Jeronimo, 27 November 2006 - 02:12 PM.

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & vLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,348 posts
3aces, wait tomorrow or day after at most.

Jeronimo, search in contents is fixed. Send me a PM if you don't wish to reinstall with the new version, which is recommended btw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN