Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
khsh

Winpe 2.0 and static IP

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm having trouble getting winpe 2.0 to work with static ip addresses.

My wpeinit.log complains about validation although i successfully validated unattend.xml in WSIM. The output is as follows:

Info WPEINIT is processing the unattend file [x:\unattend.xml]

Warning Validation of WinPE unattend settings failed with status 0x8022000f

Warning Applying WinPE unattend settings failed with status 0x8022000f; ignoring shutdown settings

My unattend.xml file is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">

<settings pass="windowsPE">

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-TCPIP" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<Interfaces>

<Interface wcm:action="add">

<UnicastIpAddresses>

<IpAddress wcm:action="add" wcm:keyValue="1">192.168.5.10/24</IpAddress>

</UnicastIpAddresses>

<Routes>

<Route wcm:action="add">

<Identifier>0</Identifier>

<Metric>20</Metric>

<NextHopAddress>192.16.5.1</NextHopAddress>

<Prefix>0.0.0.0/0</Prefix>

</Route>

</Routes>

<Identifier>Local Area Connection</Identifier>

</Interface>

</Interfaces>

</component>

</settings>

<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim://comp1/images/winpe.wim#Microsoft Windows Vista PE (X86)" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />

</unattend>

Anyone have any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong? Thanks!

Edited by khsh

I also got the same error trying to run a good validated unattend.xml with wpeinit. Here is what I did however to get a static ip address, mask and gatway running in WINPE 2.0.

From the WINPE 2.0 command prompt run in the following order

netcfg /winpe

wpeutil InitializeNetwork

netsh interface ipv4 set address "Local Area connection" static youripaddress yourmask yourgateway 1

This gets me a static ip in winpe 2.0 you can add dns and wins as well.

Matt

thank you thank you matt!! you are the man. that is exactly what i needed. thanks!!

Can this be automated?

The reason I have this question is b/c we are thinking about going to WinPE 2.0 for automated builds using Altiris and we need a way to have Static IP's that can be changed on the fly.

Currently we have a VBscript that changes our winimage file.. But that will not work with .iso.

any thoughts?

I think you could automate this. The following verbage came from the Winpe chm file.

Winpeshl.ini controls whether a custom shell is loaded in Windows PE instead of the default Command Prompt window. To load a custom shell, create a file named Winpeshl.ini and place it in %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 of your custom Windows PE image. The .ini file must have the following section and entry.

[LaunchApp]

AppPath = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\myshell.exe

[LaunchApps]

%SYSTEMDRIVE%\mydir\application1.exe, -option1 -option2

application2.exe, -option1 -option2

Set the AppPath entry to the path to your shell application. The path can be either fully qualified, or you can use environment variables, such as %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Myshell.exe. The AppPath entry does not support command-line options.

Use the [LaunchApps] section to run applications with command-line options. The applications run in the order listed; separate the name of the application from its options with a comma.

When you exit the Command Prompt window or your custom shell application, Windows PE restarts.

Thus you could create a bat file with the commands I gave at it should do this. For Winpe 2005 we had a .net application that started with the above technique where a user could put in there own static IP address. I can not wait until someone figures out how to get the .net to work with winpe 2.0 then we can use our .net application again.

Matt