slow SHUTDOWN

kabucek

Hi

I have IBM laptop and I have issue with shutdown process.

When I click start->...Turn off. It’s taking like forever to shutdown. I have to wait like 10 min or more. Until the next window will came up and ask me for something next.

Does anyone know what can be the cause??

Thanks for help

Hi

I have IBM laptop and I have issue with shutdown process.

When I click start->...Turn off. It’s taking like forever to shutdown. I have to wait like 10 min or more. Until the next window will came up and ask me for something next.

Does anyone know what can be the cause??

Thanks for help

At best an errant driver,,,,at the worst, a virus or spyware just not wanting to close.

Can you edit your registry? There are two registry tweaks that force a fast shutdown. They are:

Decrease Shutdown Time

Cut the amount of time it takes your computer to shut down to only a few seconds.

Click Start, click Run, and type regedit.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control.

Click the Control folder.

Right click "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" and click Modify.

Set the value to 1000 (One Second)

Automatically Ending Non-Responsive Tasks

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ Desktop \

AutoEndTasks = Set the value to 1

HungAppTimeout = Set the value to 1000

WaitToKillAppTimeout = Set the value to 1000 (One Second)

I can have several programs open in addition to my AV and AS software and even have my internet connection open and click "Shutdown" and my PC will be down and dark in 8 seconds.

If you feel comfortable tweaking your registry, try these two tweaks. They do work.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43

Sure... they work, but they might also prevent certain applications from saving settings on close. When all your programs are trying to save their settings to disk, 1 second might not be enough time for them all to exit.

At what point in time is the waiting? Is it still at the desktop or later on during shutdown?

I have mine set to 250 for WaitToKillAppTimeout, 500 for HungAppTimeout, and 500 for WaitToKillServiceTimeout. I haven't experienced any problems with this, as you should have no programs running when you're shutting down anyway.

The fact that it's an IBM laptop suggests that the machine came with a lot of crap installed. I bought one a few months ago and wiped the HDD, then reinstalled XP completely.

I concur; IBM laptops, especially the newest models, come with enough stuff to stifle the power of the Thinkpad T60, slowing its startup significantly. I have an R51, and I used nLite to remove unnecessary components and used the registry tweaks outlined above to achieve significant results.