Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Can I install vista on SATA drive?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Romeo26222

Romeo26222

• Members
  • 39 posts
Hello..I am new to know about SATA drives and i decided to use a western digital sata hard disk...now i want to ask can i use the sata drive alone without IDE one?and will i face any problems installing vista or winxp on this drive??
thanx in advance..

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

LLXX

LLXX

MSFN Junkie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts
If you set in BIOS option to emulate PATA device then it will be recognised as standard IDE disk and works fine.

If you want to use "native" SATA mode then you'll need drivers.

uvmain

uvmain

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
sorry, but that's just FUD.

Vista installs to SATA drives perfectly fine without the need for drivers.. The same as XP does.

The only time you'll need drivers is if you are installing to a RAID array.. and this goes for PATA as well as SATA.

When Vista asks for drivers, unlike XP which needs a floppy, setup will let you search all detetcted devices.. including your hard drives, usb drives etc.

*NO* drivers or IDE emulation are needed whatsoever to install to a single SATA disk.

Edited by uvmain, 23 November 2006 - 02:10 AM.

Romeo26222

Romeo26222

• Members
  • 39 posts

sorry, but that's just FUD.

Vista installs to SATA drives perfectly fine without the need for drivers.. The same as XP does.

The only time you'll need drivers is if you are installing to a RAID array.. and this goes for PATA as well as SATA.

When Vista asks for drivers, unlike XP which needs a floppy, setup will let you search all detetcted devices.. including your hard drives, usb drives etc.

*NO* drivers or IDE emulation are needed whatsoever to install to a single SATA disk.

thanx for your reply..but another small question...what is the difference betwen Sata and RAID becaise i don't know what is the raid array is!!
and will the SATA improve my speed rather than the old IDE one??

3aces

3aces

Bass Lover!!! :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
SATA will improve speeds yes, RAID is were you set up to identical SATA drives, to basically work as one.

uvmain

uvmain

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID :)

in it's simplest form, RAID combines 2 or more drives, to make '1' drive that has faster throughput.. basically, If you have 2 drives in raid, then it will look like one drive, but ever file is split into two.. so each drive has half the file. therefore, it only takes half the time to read or write that file.

tbh, you're not going to see much of a difference between SATA and PATA speedwise..
sata has a much, much higher theoretical throughput (3GB/S), but you're never going to hit that ;)
sata drives are newer tho, so you're more likely to find that newer sata drives have a larger cache, and therefore a performance increase.

Wiki has all the info you need :)

Two main reasons converted me to SATA..
1) I wanted a Raptor :P
2) My case is much tidier with the smaller cables, and it may just be perceptual, but has better airflow.
3) I wanted a Raptor ;)

Spooky

Spooky

Friend of MSFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Personally myself I would have gone with the Raptor :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID :)

in it's simplest form, RAID combines 2 or more drives, to make '1' drive that has faster throughput.. basically, If you have 2 drives in raid, then it will look like one drive, but ever file is split into two.. so each drive has half the file. therefore, it only takes half the time to read or write that file.

tbh, you're not going to see much of a difference between SATA and PATA speedwise..
sata has a much, much higher theoretical throughput (3GB/S), but you're never going to hit that ;)
sata drives are newer tho, so you're more likely to find that newer sata drives have a larger cache, and therefore a performance increase.

Wiki has all the info you need :)

Two main reasons converted me to SATA..
1) I wanted a Raptor
2) My case is much tidier with the smaller cables, and it may just be perceptual, but has better airflow.
3) I wanted a Raptor

uvmain

uvmain

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
I did ;)

just waiting til I have enough cash for a second/third one to raid together :P

I'm running out of drives for OS's!

j7n

j7n

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts

The only time you'll need drivers is if you are installing to a RAID array.. When Vista asks for drivers, unlike XP which needs a floppy, setup will let you search all detetcted devices.. including your hard drives, usb drives etc.

If the only hard drives you have are connected via a RAID controller then I assume Vista will be unable to search them [in DOS mode]. :whistle:

Spooky

Spooky

Friend of MSFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Why are people having so many problems with installing on SATA drives, always thinking they need to load drivers to do so?

Basically, if your BIOS can see the SATA drive you can install on it without having to load drivers. I've never, not once, had to load drivers to install Vista on a SATA drive.

Edited by Spooky, 12 January 2007 - 07:39 PM.

kartel

kartel

Cartel Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
I am trying to install on a single sata and it cant find the SATA drive without the drivers that I burned to another disk.
After I install the drivers it wont continue installing after the first reboot.

mdolan

mdolan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Why are people having so many problems with installing on SATA drives, always thinking they need to load drivers to do so?

Basically, if your BIOS can see the SATA drive you can install on it without having to load drivers. I've never, not once, had to load drivers to install Vista on a SATA drive.

Hi Spooky,

In some cases you *must* load drivers. I have the IBM X60 tablet sat in front of me and it does not function without loading the SATA drivers. You get a nice BSOD.

Cheers,
Mike

kartel

kartel

Cartel Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
You cant see the sata drive without the drivers, I know that.
It still dont work.

kartel

kartel

Cartel Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
I downloaded drivers from ABIT for the NF7s http://www.abit-usa....3112/v10050.zip
I have good results within Vista using my IDE as the OS.
I have not tried installing Vista on the SATA with the Abit drivers.
They are Version 1.0.50
I also installed the Sil GUI locted in the driver package.
Seems ok with Vista
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Philth

Philth
  • Members
  • 3 posts
I'll be installing Vista on the 30th. Currently, I'm running a 74GB Raptor HD on an MSI RD-480 NEO2 M/B. According to MSI's website, this motherboard is compatible with Vista, but there isn't any drivers for the motherboard listed for Vista. :huh:

Dobby

Dobby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
I've just installed Vista on my Western Digital Cavier SATA drive (I think it's a Silicon Image controller on my Asus board) and it installed fine, no drivers needed. Only took 15 minutes as well. Mmm, Aero!

kartel

kartel

Cartel Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
Look here also

http://forums.micros...o...D=17&mode=1

Philth

Philth
  • Members
  • 3 posts
Just installed mine the other day. SATA drives were receognized with no 3rd party driver installed. Only problem I have is one small hardware config with my digital camera. Nikon is aware of it and they are working on a fix.

HRH

HRH
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Philth - how did you get it working in the end? I've had the same problems with my 480 Neo 2 M/B and am getting increasingly fed up! On another note, recently threw in another 2 GB of RAM on top of the 2 I already had but can only get 3072MB to show up regardless of how I position them in the slots (I know all the modules are serviceable too) - any thoughts?

Edited by HRH, 07 May 2009 - 04:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN