Applications Data folder

breadandbubbles

right clicking on My Computer and find the enviromental varibles page (under advanced i think) and you could change the location of program files but i don't think it would work because all of your programs would think they were still installed in that folder

sorry :)

• 2 months later...

yea, i currently keep all my programs installed on the unfrozen drive, but the application data still stays in the frozen C: drive.

i dont wnat to give up this whole project jsut for that reason. i think it can be done. but as it is now i cant change any of my settings in Microsoft Office, or in Opera, etc.

its very upsetting.

no ideas?

You may be able to change the path of %AppData% by going into command prompt and doing a set %AppData% "D:\Documents and Settings\UsernameHere\Application Data"

I cannot guarantee this will work and it is a use at your own risk suggestion.

im willing to try it.

i ahve deep freeze, as i said, so if i could try ti with my PC frozen that would be great. im assuming id have to reboot though? how would i go about doing this? where do i put this command?

you dont have to tell me step by step, but im kind of a noob and a point in any direction (opefully the right direction) would be great.

well, i guess a FURTHER point, since you already did sort of point.

i dont even know what im syaing anymore..

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this can help you!

I used after deploying an UIU image. and worked.

wizard_99,

usually, there is absolutely no need to change a profile folder's name. If you want to know which user name actually uses which profile folder, you can logon with the user and check the environment variable %UserProfile% (do *NOT*, never, ever, use "C:\documents and settings\%username%" when accessing a profile, for example in a script).

The other possibility is a bit more complicated. Get PsGetSid from Sysinternals (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psgetsid.shtml), then use that to retrieve the user's SID. Open regedit, go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList, check the SIDs listed there against the SID you're looking for, and then look at the value of "ProfileImagePath" (most of them will actually reflect the user's name, but as I said before, don't rely on that).

Now, to rename the folder while making sure that the user can still access the profile, do the following:

* Retrieve the user's SID.

* Logon with an administrator account (other than the user whose folder you want to change).

* Rename the folder to the user's current name (or whatever you want to name it).

* Open regedit, go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<User's SID>, and change the "ProfileImagePath" to the new location.

How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=214470

You should change the location in the registry, however it will not be effective in an already installed system. The problem is that a great many programs set the location as the full or short path not the environment variable when they are installed. This means that they will all now reference an invalid location and therefore recreate the structure you didn't want or not work correctly.

The key to change, if you're still wanting to give it a go is

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

and the value to change is

AppData

You can change it in a simple line in a batch file like this:

filename.cmd

@ECHO OFF &SETLOCAL
:: Fill in your New Location below, System variables are allowed.
SET NEWLOCN=
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /V AppData /T REG_EXPAND_SZ /D "%NEWLOCN%" /F>NUL

then reboot the system for the change to take effect.

• 5 months later...