My hour of hell with 32bit Vista

drscouse

I had some bad experiences with RC1 32bit Vista, and had assumed that the recent MSDN release would prove to be a more stable option. When trying RC1 32bit, I would get drive and NTFS corruption which would cause all sorts of problems... I ditched this and tried 64bit, which, worked flawlessly, no errors whatsoever, smooth install, in fact, it was like having anew pc!!!

Ive just ha the worst hour of PC disaster I have had for a while, which resulted from an MSDN install... I should have seen the warning signs duing installation, and partition selection, when it reported errors..but after deleting a partition and reformating, Ithough all would go well... How wrong could I be...!!!

Install went OK, until just after entering my username, when the pc just hung, and did nothing, so I was forced to reboot... and it eventually made its way to an effectless desktop, no glass/aero.. hmm I thought... I then had more freezes, lockups, screen corruption, and then had a hell of a job rebooting my pc, it would hang during POST!!! I had to even clear my CMOS, which I only did once before about 8 months ago!!!!

My pc is usually rock solid, never a problem, so I can only assume it has all been caused by the 32bit installation... Im even wondering whether it truly is compatible with with my 64bit rig, given the problems I had even with the RC...!!!

Im back in XP now, and all seems well again... I cant believe what a mess it made, and I dont think Ill be trying it again in a hurry.... I cant believe the contrast fromt he 64bit RC2 which was easy to install, and ran like a bat out of hell...

Im very disillusioned by the whole ecperience, and doubt 32bit vista will be making it anywhere near my dvd drive again!!!

Opteron 146 @2.8ghz

Dfi Expert

2gb Muskin RedlineXP

X1900xt

Edited by drscouse

HAHAHAHAHA! I'm very sorrry to be laughing but Im surprised someone else is having the EXACT SAME problem as me. Those descriptions are like your right at my pc same very same problems and I have no fix for you though, im sorry, where just very bad lucked, If you by chance come across a solution please let me know...i'll do the same.

"with with my 64bit rig..."

I'm a little confused by your post so just a silly question....you installed the x64 version on a 64 bit machine...right...and you installed the x32 version on a 32 bit machine...right?

I had some bad experiences with RC1 32bit Vista, and had assumed that the recent MSDN release would prove to be a more stable option. When trying RC1 32bit, I would get drive and NTFS corruption which would cause all sorts of problems... I ditched this and tried 64bit, which, worked flawlessly, no errors whatsoever, smooth install, in fact, it was like having anew pc!!!

Ive just ha the worst hour of PC disaster I have had for a while, which resulted from an MSDN install... I should have seen the warning signs duing installation, and partition selection, when it reported errors..but after deleting a partition and reformating, Ithough all would go well... How wrong could I be...!!!

Install went OK, until just after entering my username, when the pc just hung, and did nothing, so I was forced to reboot... and it eventually made its way to an effectless desktop, no glass/aero.. hmm I thought... I then had more freezes, lockups, screen corruption, and then had a hell of a job rebooting my pc, it would hang during POST!!! I had to even clear my CMOS, which I only did once before about 8 months ago!!!!

My pc is usually rock solid, never a problem, so I can only assume it has all been caused by the 32bit installation... Im even wondering whether it truly is compatible with with my 64bit rig, given the problems I had even with the RC...!!!

Im back in XP now, and all seems well again... I cant believe what a mess it made, and I dont think Ill be trying it again in a hurry.... I cant believe the contrast fromt he 64bit RC2 which was easy to install, and ran like a bat out of hell...

Im very disillusioned by the whole ecperience, and doubt 32bit vista will be making it anywhere near my dvd drive again!!!

Opteron 146 @2.8ghz

Dfi Expert

2gb Muskin RedlineXP

X1900xt

This may be a coincidence. I gotten similar symptoms. I would get a lock up and be forced to reformat again, because I made a human error, which reguards my overclocking. I gotten a lock up before when I was reinstalling Windows, because with my overclock, I forgot to turn on my phase change cooler!

Also, more recently, gotten a BSOD when just installing .Net Framework 2.0, because I was using air ducting from outside, but the outside temperature wasn't low enough! :realmad:

That means I was required to connect my phase change air cooler (an air conditioner) back to my PC!

I'm a little confused by your post so just a silly question....you installed the x64 version on a 64 bit machine...right...and you installed the x32 version on a 32 bit machine...right?
No, I installed the 32bit on a 64bit machine...
how big is the partition that u installed it on?

Big enough, 25gb, as I mention in my post things were fine with 64bit RC2, but not with 32bit RC1..

I cant see overcloking was the problem, as RC2 64bit was fine.. just seems tobe consistant with 32bit Vista and my pc, for whatever reason....

Edited by drscouse

I've installed Vista on my 64bit Intel PC and it works just fine, the RC2 candidate did not.

But, yesterday, I got a strange problem.

I was copying some files from my server to the PC and for some strange kind of reason my wireless network decided to stop working, restartet the router and it worked fine again.

But Vista broke down totally, couldn't end the copying session, rdp connection to the server wouldn't work, and finally explorer died, got explorer startet again throug task manager, but when trying to reboot, it just hung in the logging off process. Only thing to do was hitting the power button.

Just a little experiense from me.

I would kind of expect some 64 bit machines to have some type of issue with the 32 bit version installed. The issues you outlined are not uncommon with the x86 32 bit version installed on a 64 bit system.

"Big enough, 25gb, as I mention in my post things were fine with 64bit RC2, but not with 32bit RC1"

RC1 still had a lot of problems so maybe you were experiencing some of those when it saw the system was 64 bit it couldn't cope instead of 32 bit like it expected.. Overclocking can be a problem with the 32 bit version installed in a 64 bit environment.

You would think installing the 32 bit version on a 64 bit machine that you wouldn't see issues like this but thats not exactly a valid thought because some systems will see these issues occur. Its one of the reason they make seperate 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

The right tool for the right job usually helps mitigate problems on the job - square peg in a round hole. Its like putting over sized tires on your car, they might look pretty and cool, satisfy your need, but the issues introduced are additional stress on the transmission - axel - gas mileage - engine, all because the car wasn't made with them in mind. Might work for a while but the problems will eventually get you.

No, I installed the 32bit on a 64bit machine...

how big is the partition that u installed it on?
Big enough, 25gb, as I mention in my post things were fine with 64bit RC2, but not with 32bit RC1..

I cant see overcloking was the problem, as RC2 64bit was fine.. just seems tobe consistant with 32bit Vista and my pc, for whatever reason....

Edited by Spooky

:puke::puke: Have anyone of you realized that Vista is a piece of crap?????? I wouldn't own it even if MS give it to me and a new machine to boot it onto!!!!!! The next OS I'll get will be Linux, I've learned that MicroCrap might be out of the OS business soon. Apple's doing a much better job in that department. If you really want to see how Vista is soppesed to work check out MAC OSX....