WSIM / Windows System Image Manager - working?

I have serious problems.

I can not open a windows image (install.wim). It asks me to select one of the images there, then tells me the catalog file is out of date.

Trying to rebuild it - it crashes at the end, leaving the catalog unfinished.

Result: The whole System Image Manager is unusable.

Anyone similar experiences?

The actual crash is a COM interop exception. It happens at the end of the "Generating Catalog file". In/after the "cleaning up" step. HRESULT 0x800F080D

It is a TargetInvocationException in the CpsSessionAdapter.OpenInstalledPackage method.

I run this on a fresh installed virtual WIndows 2003 R2 with just the installer for BDD and WAIK run. Windowsupdate did run. It is there just for this reason. I already tried reinstalling. I have tried the wim/clg files from the cd image using daemon tools, as well as copying them locally - the catalogues are always outdated.

I get this too - not entirely sure why. The way I got around this a while back was to install the WAIK tools in Vista, as opposed to on XP.

If that still doesn't solve it, you may have a mismatched WAIK/Vista versions you're running. I was able to run the BDD 2007 Beta 2 version of WSIM from RC1, but have had issues with WAIK 6.0 RTM on XP SP2 generating the same error.

have you installed the RTM WIAK? also you need to uninstall the previous BDD 2007 install, once you install the WAIK navigate out to the C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\

choose your OS format (x86, 64bit IA64) then reinstall the wimfltr.inf, this should take care of any read issues you hit when trying to load the WIM files in WAIK