vLite 0.6 beta - Wiiiiiiii

nuhi

This is probably the wrong thread to post in.

My query is - would I be able to create a vlite copy of Vista (Upgrade version) and have it install without needing to supply a proof that I have a copy of XP?

If you mean, does Vista upgrade check if your Windows XP is legal, then I could not say.

If you mean to purchase Vista upgrade, do you need a valid Windows XP license to make it legal: rather rethorical, but I think the answer would obviously be yes.

Fact is that I doubt that many people here have a valid Vista (Beta's and RC's excluded). Legally we might be at fault (or are we does evaluating?), but I for 1 will purchase Vista when it comes available in my language (even though it will cost 40% more than US version :realmad: ), which makes it morally acceptable for me (not legally).

Neither. I have legit copy of XP Pro, and am thinking of upgrading to Vista. Just wondering if I will still need to put in XP CD if I made a vlite disc for Vista Upgrade version.

Hanschke, ok, don't take it the wrong way it's just I heard that AIO doesn't work.

However it's weird how it didn't popup for you to reinstall Filter Manager if it's not there.

The AIO in question does not work, because the directory structure is different.

I'm just shocked that microsoft has come after you nuhi about this program..

You can't be serious? :o Nuhi nooooooooooooo! Noooooooooo!

They just come along and buy everyone :realmad:

Vista might just possbily go mainstream on my pc :blink:

Heh, good luck with Alcohol 120%/any Firewall/any Antivirus.

BTW don't even think about installing Alcohol 120% - causes BSOD

in normal and safe mode, meaning either you need a PE disc or you

need to re-install Vista - this is on ALL versions of Vista of course, its

nothing to do with vLite.

That's a 'bug'.

I'll explain it a bit more in a few minutes.

OK.

I had that problem, mainly when vlite was using a temp folder on a hard drive that did not have enough free space (<4GB).

This is not caused by an app that would be using the temp folder. The problem is caused by the extraction procedure that creates a sort of new user and this user is the only allowed to remove that temp folder. If the extraction could not complete, then you get this folder.

How to remove it:

You'll need to edit NTFS rights for that and this is not present in XP Home (though it can be easily added).

You may want to disable your antivirus to speed up the process (>20000 files) and you should really close everything else that is running.

Browse to your temp folder, right-click on it, click on Properties and then go to the Security tab.

Click on the Advanced Properties button (it's the last one). Go to the Owner tab and double-click on any group you're a member of (if you don't know, go for Administrators). Tick the box "Replace..... and sub-...". Click on OK. This should take some time.

Close the Properties window.

Reopen it, click on the Advanced Properties button, stay on the first tab. Remove each entry (there's a "delete" button), untick the first box, tick the other one. Now click on "Add", type Administrators, press enter, tick the first box in the window you get (first row, first column). OK, OK. Again, this will take some time.

Now you can remove it. :)

Edited by Camarade_Tux

Jeronimo, gonna see about that misplaced window

Camarade_Tux, felt like screaming something how I felt in that moment, probably Wii marketing got me ;)

tordenflesk, first relax, what is copied can be deleted. Maybe it was you who contacted me on the email about this but I added the clean option in the next version and also told you or that other person that by browsing the image in next session will clean the temp folder automatically, vlite is crafty when it comes to permissions ;)

If it doesn't clean it then tell me the full path of the few files (or folders) of which you talk about, thx.