Is there a way to shut-off auto-updaters?

KingAuther

Running W98se, Compaq desktop, 600mghtz, 6gig...

Is there a simple core way to destroy and/or neutralize all the auto-updaters in W98se? by taking out a bit of the OS.. yet still permit manual updating, of the AVS, firewall, and various peripheral softwares..?

Reason: I find when I'm on a roll in creative writing or pix editing.. when an auto-updater initiates, it momentarily sucks up all the RAM.. thereby momentarily locking-out the mouse and keyboard.. which can too easily crash a fragile creative roll...

I am experiencing problems with various AVS's.. in that, no matter what I do to try to shut down their auto updaters, they continue to attempt their firewall-blocked connections, momentarily sucking up all the RAM every five minutes... It's like it isn't my PC anymore... I had to dump the AVS just to get a little peace from the updaters...

The AVS companies all advise to disable their updaters, in their scheduler and/or advanced windows... I do that, and still the updaters try to connect every five minutes... I even tried stripping out registry keys, and uninstalling updaters and schedulers, to no avail...

The last bit of expert advice, I tried, was to try AVG's latest build.. so yesterday I did.. and it locked-up reboot, as it has the last ten-times I tried AVG over a five year time-period... I had to go into safe-mode to uninstall AVG, just to get the PC working again.. and in some previous attempts, I had to format-C to get my computer back...

Seems this trying to make W98se secure, is like trying to fly by flapping your arms real fast...

Please Advise... What's a best or suitable AVS for Seamonkey in W98se.. and has anybody actually left the ground by flapping real hard?..

Edited by KingAuther