Renaming of Vlited Image

jamieo

(Not a removal or a tweak so I started a new topic)

Great program nuhi, really impressed! Plan to install my first test tomorrow some time. :)

Now for a few suggestions regarding the image creation and taking advantage of the new WIM format.

1. Add the ability to rename the images and thier descriptions. This one's already possible using the imagex tool (see attached) but isn't as friendly and the feature just 'belongs' in vLite!

2. Not sure this one's possible - looked in imagex already. Instead of modifying an existing profile within the image, create a new one next to it leaving the original intact. So for instance, you can choose "Vista Ultimate" or "Vista Ultimate - vLite".

3. This could be difficult.. The ability to backup the current image configuration if not rebuilding the image. This should allow vLite to add back in components that were previously removed as the files still exist in the image.

Those are just some ideas, the first one is the most realistic and I'd love to see it in the next release or so.

If the second one is possible using the wimgapi then I'd hope it should be fairly straightforward. The last one is a wish list idea and is probably for implenting a long time from now... :)

Thanks for all your hard work!

Jamie

post-33948-1165086951_thumb.png

Nice ideas, I'll throw in the comments:

1. Already does it automatically to add (vLite)...gonna see about optional, not a priority but nice

2. That's an idea! And I think it is possible, gonna check

3. That don't know...lets say your number 2 + vlite preset covers it to some extent

Hi nuhi, I'm glad you like my suggestions.

I just noticed you put (vLite) in the description this morning, would be nice to make both title and description user defined though..

Would be great if 2) is possible. I never thought of 3) like that, with 2) implemented there's not too much need for it as the original will be the backup! :blushing:

I look forward to your progress, if you need any help with testing just say.

Jamie

• 4 weeks later...

Any news on this nuhi? I've actually been using the second idea with imagex before processing with vLite and it works very well.

Haven't tested(installed) all entries on the created image but work flow is nice and vLite seems happy enough processing it. :)

Jamie

post-33948-1167103000_thumb.png

Edited by jamieo

Haven't tried it yet, busy with fixes and resting :)

One question regarding this image cloning...how does it reflect to the CD-Key...I mean if I enter proper key will it detect and use proper image or that is broken when the titles are renamed?

No rush nuhi, I'm happy to do it manually now I know how - would make a great feature though but first enjoy the holidays! :)

I haven't an answer for the CD-Key thing as I'm only evaluating Vista until it is available for purchase (most likely with a new laptop). At a guess, with there being more than one matching image I'd bet setup picks the first. Might be a good thing, leave the original image there for a default install then other images for advanced users... For UA there is a setting to specify image name, haven't tried it though...

Jamie

Edited by jamieo

try appending the same image from the wim (say ultimate) with new name

i think the image selection depends on the provided key, the keyfile (pkeyconfig.xrm-ms ....) and the inf\setup.cfg

files. when these matches the keyfiles in any image,then the image would be selected

this is only my guess

:unsure:

the name vLite shows is from the wim properties for each name

another idea:

change the WIM Description

ie, show the image name box in vLite in this manner

< name of WIM > - < Description >

this allows chaus to know the image without changing the WIM name

Edited by Innocent Devil