WaveRunningNaked

4GB ISO File Size Limit

19 posts in this topic

I'm trying to create a bootable DVD with WinPE and a custom image that I made with ImageX. The problem is, the WIM file is 7 GB. Spacewise, I can fit the entire thing on DL DVD, but every program I use to master the ISO complains about the the 4GB file size limit. How do I get around this so I can burn the DVD?

I'm trying to create a bootable DVD with WinPE and a custom image that I made with ImageX. The problem is, the WIM file is 7 GB. Spacewise, I can fit the entire thing on DL DVD, but every program I use to master the ISO complains about the the 4GB file size limit. How do I get around this so I can burn the DVD?

NTFS Partition is the only solution...Fat 32 is limited to 4GB.

But DVDs also have a limit themselve (2GB on most).

@WaveRunningNaked, maybe that there's something in imagex to split your wim file.

ok figured it out.

Behold... the SPLIT command

imagex /CHECK /SPLIT d:\vista\iso\sources\vista20061202.wim d:\vista\iso\sources\vista20061202.sim 3500

darn it! I was just going to suggest the Split command when I saw this topic :)

Or you could wait until you can aford Blu-Ray :)

Edited by Spooky

UDF supports large files as opposed to joliet.

Try a program called "IMG burn".

Edited by COOLCOMPUTERGUY

would that let my iso surpass 4GB?

keep in mind, it's my iso I want big, my install.wim is only 3.4GB. If I can expand my iso, i'll enlarge that with more... pizazz

I split the file install.wim in install.swm and install2.swm

In the first dvd I have the complete structure of the dvd and sources I have copied the file install.swm in the second dvd I created the directory sources and here I have copied the file install2.swm

Unfortunately it does not work the first dvd:

windowsvistax64edition2.th.png

I copied the first dvd file Autounattended.xml, and 'he the problem?

Thanks !!

This problem seems to exist with USB keys as well - I have a 4GB key and a 64GB key, and I cannot get the installation of Vista OR Windows 7 to work from the 64GB key, unless it has only a 4GB partition (and nothing else). the 4GB key obviously works fine, and my previous 8GB key had the same problems. I believe there's some sort of issue with images larger than 4.7GB, so I'll file the bug. We'll see if this is expected or not.

This problem seems to exist with USB keys as well - I have a 4GB key and a 64GB key, and I cannot get the installation of Vista OR Windows 7 to work from the 64GB key, unless it has only a 4GB partition (and nothing else). the 4GB key obviously works fine, and my previous 8GB key had the same problems. I believe there's some sort of issue with images larger than 4.7GB, so I'll file the bug. We'll see if this is expected or not.

That's odd, I install Vista from my 16GB USB all the time, no partitions on it or anything :/

I split the file install.wim in install.swm and install2.swm

In the first dvd I have the complete structure of the dvd and sources I have copied the file install.swm in the second dvd I created the directory sources and here I have copied the file install2.swm

Unfortunately it does not work the first dvd:

windowsvistax64edition2.th.png

I copied the first dvd file Autounattended.xml, and 'he the problem?

Thanks !!

however I have already solved the problem ... but I prefer to keep a professional secret. Since I did not ask for help how do you