Missing widescreen resolution on WinXP

yronnen

Hi,

I have a WinXP with Radeon 7000 and a 19" Widescreen Acer LCD. Up until recently I was using the 1440x900 resolution (the native for the monitor), but for some reason it disappered lately and the only widescreen resolution I can get is 1280*768. The funny thing is that I can set the system for higher resolutions than 1440 and it works. I have all the latest drivers for both the monitor and the graphics card.

How can I get this resolution back?

Thanks.

Improper resolution matching is due to a driver problem, either with the video card or the monitor, as allen2 mentioned. Sometimes simply uninstalling both video card and monitor drivers and re-installing both is sufficient.

Improper resolution matching is due to a driver problem, either with the video card or the monitor, as allen2 mentioned. Sometimes simply uninstalling both video card and monitor drivers and re-installing both is sufficient.

Done that...still the same.

You have to set up the ATI control center to display all resolutions (the panoramic ones too)

or try to force the resolution in display manager tab of ATI CC (the Force... button on bottom)

Tried that too...the force resolution allows me to force only existing resolution.

Sorry, but did you use this driver

these drivers solved my problems in my old HP monitor resolution 1440 * 900

ftp://ftp.acer-euro.com/monitor/lcd/AL1916wc.zip

I'm using the same driver. The funny thing is that it was working fine and suddenly I've lost the resolution. I've formatted and re-installed windows since but the problem remains.

• 1 month later...

I have a question similar to the original poster's so I'll just ask here instead of starting a new thread.

When you go to adjust your screen resolution (with the slider) in your display properties, do you see every screen resolution that your video card is capable of, or do you only see what's available in the particular combination of the video card and monitor you're using?

With my Radeon 9250 and Samsung 17" CRT my choices are either 4:3 or 5:4 and range from 640x480 to 1600x1200 (I use 1280x1024). If I attached a wide screen LCD would I see the same resolution choices I see now or would I see additional wide screen resolutions?

I definitely want to get a 19" LCD, but I don't know if I want a widescreen model or not. The native resolution on the majority if not all of the non-widescreen 19" models is the 1280x1024 I'm currently using so that wouldn't be a problem, but on the widescreen models it's usually 1440x900 and that's why I ask if I'd see additional resolutions if I attached a widescreen monitor since that resolution isn't among the choices available to me with my current setup.

Thanks.

You really should've started a new thread... :)

The resolutions you see are dependent on what both the video card and monitor support. The video card you have shouldn't have a problem supporting the resolutions you're looking at. Since your video card supports a higher range of resolutions than the monitors you're looking at, then WinXP will show you only the resolutions that monitor supports.

Since your video card supports a higher range of resolutions than the monitors you're looking at, then WinXP will show you only the resolutions that monitor supports.
Ok, I was kind of wondering about that. According to my video card specs its max resolution is 2048 x 1536, so since the current monitor doesn't support resolutions that high it automatically prevents those resolutions and wide screen resolutions from being available to me? Got it.

After I posted earlier I unhooked my 17" Samsung and hooked up a friend's cheaper 17" Dell and it wasn't recognized during boot up. When I checked to see what resolutions were available it showed me ALL KINDS of them. The slider was only in the middle of its range and it was already showing 1280x1024. I slid it to the right and I swear one of them was 3000-something x 2000-something. I didn't attempt to use any of them though.

Thanks for the answer, now I just have to decide if I want a widescreen or not.

Widescreen is the way everything is going. If you plan on going to Vista at all (now or later) you may want to check for HDCP compliance as well. I'm about to purchase a new monitor (or two) myself and I'm still researching. Dell has a nice 20" in their Ultrasharp line that I've been keeping my eye on. The price just dropped by $40 too.