Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Recording activities of other pc's.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

poken1151

poken1151

• 31 posts
  • Joined 22-November 06
My home is wired up nicely, courtesy of my older brother, so all 5 of the pc's in the house connect to a server located in the living room. My question is how do I access things like IM convos, sent emails and such (blocking them reading them whatever) from the server. As it is My brother who set it up he knows but wont tell. And there was a small incident a few days ago with him publicizing one of my IM convos and Id like to go in there and stop the server from recording them. The thing is I didnt even know that it was capable of recording something from a separate pc but seeing as how the pc connects to the net through it im not surprised. Can anyone help me with this please.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jcarle

jcarle

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined 14-August 04
I doubt the server is responsible. I would suspect that he instead installed something on your pc to spy on you.
Posted Image
Posted Image

poken1151

poken1151

• 31 posts
  • Joined 22-November 06
Well thats a possibility I highly doubt unless he can gain full access to my pc strictly through he server to install this software. And I do a full sweep of my pc once a week for anything out of the norm, and especially since that event, anything recording activity.

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts
  • Joined 02-September 02
He's probably running a packet sniffer, possibly Ethereal. I do it for fun every once and a while... Except I'm usually the only one on my network! :P

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,682 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05

Donator

I highly doubt unless he can gain full access to my pc strictly through he server to install this software

With physical access to the PC, the door is wide open to what he might be doing that you could not detect. And if he wired up your entire house then you are in the same boat. Rogue net admins are the worst. Sounds like there isn't much you can do from a technical perspective. Human engineering is your answer here.

He's probably running a packet sniffer, possibly Ethereal. I do it for fun every once and a while... Except I'm usually the only one on my network! :P

You mean Wireshark :)

Guest_ehcraig_*

Guest_ehcraig_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --
If he setup your network, he probably has your network password. Change all your passwords and see if it continues. Also, make sure your firewall is enabled. If something that you do not know tries to access or send out, then "Do Not approve it" when it shows up with the firewall alert. If he continues to access your stuff, then he did install something else.

Also, he may have made himself an administrator of your network. Login as "Administrator" and change the password and disable his account or "limit" his account.

Good luck.

Edited by ehcraig, 05 February 2008 - 10:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users