Split MCE2005 DVD into 2 CDs?

Ok, so I found this unattended windows stuff, and I think it's pretty awesome, I have some ideas (though I could use some help) but I have one major thing to deal with:

I backed up all my stuff and reformatted my drives, not taking into account that my MCE2005 install disc was a single DVD (not 2 discs) I forgot to make the disc first, as the computer I reformatted is the one with my DVD burner in it :crazy: . I am looking for either a way to break this 1 dvd into 2 CDs or get the installation files to just run from an external drive.

copy cd1 contents into C:\xpmce

copy cd2 contents into C:\xpmce

use nlite to remove a bit and then it'll fit on a cd :)

makeiso in nlite then burn the iso image with imgburn or nero's burn image option

welcome to the forums

Edited by bledd

copy cd1 contents into C:\xpmce

copy cd2 contents into C:\xpmce

use nlite to remove a bit and then it'll fit on a cd :)

makeiso in nlite then burn the iso image with imgburn or nero's burn image option

welcome to the forums

What I remove (What I _CAN_ remove, as nlite doesn't seem to let me remove the Digital Media Enhancements crap (dancer etc)) doesn't shave off a whole lot, and I wanted to add special drivers so I can actually install windows (need the raid drivers on a CD since I do not have a floppy drive) and I wanted to add programs to be installed automatically so I wouldn't have to scour the web getting all my normal apps.

remove 'manual install and upgrade' (can still boot from cd fine) 45mb

remove 'msn explorer' (total crap) 19mb

remove 'internet games' 11mb

remove languages and keyboards that you dont need -about 70mb ish

you could just keep everything and burn it to dvd instead using nlite..

i remove loads from the disc, my xp disc is about 100mb after removing things, and still has full functionality for me

Edited by bledd

remove 'manual install and upgrade' (can still boot from cd fine) 45mb

remove 'msn explorer' (total crap) 19mb

remove 'internet games' 11mb

remove languages and keyboards that you dont need -about 70mb ish

you could just keep everything and burn it to dvd instead using nlite..

i remove loads from the disc, my xp disc is about 100mb after removing things, and still has full functionality for me

If I could trim it to 100MB then I could add the programs I want no problem... Hmm... The most I was getting it down to was ~580mb and then with the programs it was just shy of 800mb and wouldn't fit on a single CD. So far that's as low as I have gotten my image file. I haven't tried removing keyboards, but I think I know what one to keep and as for languages, are these files needed for unicode characters like japanese and hebrew? If not then I can remove all of them no problem; I am just worried about japanese characters showing up as boxes instead of the actual script.

I take it there is no way to remove the DME though as none of them show up anywhere in Nlite (that WOULD remove a ton of space)

• 3 months later...

i got my copy of media center to fit onto one cd with out useing nlite

there is no added programs or drivers tho

i just took out what was in the advanced part of the unattended guide

link below

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

under sliming down cd/dvd

sorry to moderaters for posting link will remove if wish

iso turned out to be aroind 600megs just what i needed i didnt push any further

Edited by xpforall