Minimal system requiments...

Ivanov

Windows consists of multiple part. I am now at 2.7GB (2.51GB Windows, Users 125MB, Program Files 50MB, Boot 13MB, Program Data 3MB) excluding pagefile. If I remove all remaining components that I now have installed, vLite tells me I would gain 68MB on my Home Basic installation.

I do not think installing Vista on a 2GB drive will be possible at least not in the near future, unless the winsxs can be reduced conssiderably (this takes up 1GB).

Thanks, that's interesting.

What is that Winsxs folder used for anyway?

If it's merely some sort of security backup, I'd move it to another hard drive using Junction Link Magic, and leave only some naked Windows system folders on the i-RAM system partition.

Cheers,

David.P

Windows consists of multiple part. I am now at 2.7GB (2.51GB Windows, Users 125MB, Program Files 50MB, Boot 13MB, Program Data 3MB) excluding pagefile. If I remove all remaining components that I now have installed, vLite tells me I would gain 68MB on my Home Basic installation.

I do not think installing Vista on a 2GB drive will be possible at least not in the near future, unless the winsxs can be reduced conssiderably (this takes up 1GB).

It has already been done:

size7qr.th.jpg

also:

screen1eh.th.jpg

Oh, ISO is 350mb big...

. :whistle:

Edited by Clint

@Clint

Nice, would really like to know how this was established and if this was with vLite or womething else. DId you just remove the winsxs folder or waht?

No, I did not use vLite..it's all manual work.

With Vistas imagebased setup it's really childsplay to modify the source, and the setuproutine is much easier on dependencies as well.

winsxs folder cannot be removed entirely, it holds quite a few keycomponents for both your setup and later components install.

@Clint

Nice, would really like to know how this was established and if this was with vLite or womething else. DId you just remove the winsxs folder or waht?

With Vistas imagebased setup it's really childsplay to modify the source, and the setuproutine is much easier on dependencies as well.

winsxs folder cannot be removed entirely, it holds quite a few keycomponents for both your setup and later components install.

Can you share how the manual work was done? What steps you took. Thanks.

@Clint

Can you share how the manual work was done? What steps you took. Thanks.

Not here, sorry.

I was able to install XP on 166MHz Pentium, but I believe the official requirement was 233MHz. Of course, you could install XP with 64MB of RAM, then remove 32MB and it would run in 32MB, but horribly.

XP can't do "fast user switching" unless it has 64Mb RAM.

wel guys, i know now that the hd demand of vista is down when you vlite it.

it normally asks for 16gb, but after the vlitement, is is satisfied with 8 gb.

so thats cool, but the memory demand wont drop man.

but thats work for nuhi :D:D

bye bye

damian666 :hello:

So I don't have to resize my current 10Gb partition up to 20Gb again, thank god.

It's all done with the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK). You can either use it to create custom installations or even add/remove stuff from your existing install.

Doesn't this leave your ISO the same size and only picks off what you set it to?

A bit like the Office 2007 thing - I was real disappointed to see the ISO didn't

even change size after ripping "OneNote" and "Groove" and all the other crud.