New Processor

3aces

i have now a Sempron64 2.2Ghz processor, and i want to upgrade it, i was looking into gettin a Athlon64 3700+ Clawhammer Core, but i found that the Turion processor is compatible with S754, can i use this in my desktop, i have a ASrock K8NF4G-SATA2, and if i can what are the benifits over the Athlon processor

A full list of compatible CPUs for your board can be found here:

http://www.asrock.com/support/CPU_Support/...el=K8NF4G-SATA2

Not sure about the Turion, so can't really say, have heard mobile CPUs work in desktop systems, dunno about this though.

As for Athlon over Sempron, biggest difference is Level2 Cache.

Semprons are either 128 or 256 L2 Cache.

Where as Athlon are 512 or 1MB L2 cache, the more cache, the faster/better basically.

I have the A64 3700+ with 1MB L2 Cache, superb Chip. Not a bad price either.

Hope that helps.

You will not get much out of double the cache of your CPU.

I would stick with what you have now unless it’s not good enough you can go to a S939 X2 CPU. When you have 2 DIMMs with the same size you can enable 128bit mode on S939.

If that still isn’t enough you can go Core2Duo...

I would stick with what you have now unless it’s not good enough you can go to a S939 X2 CPU. When you have 2 DIMMs with the same size you can enable 128bit mode on S939.

If that still isn’t enough you can go Core2Duo...

mine now is 2.8 Ghz, 1 MB Cache, Bass 800 Boxed. and I'm thinking about upgrading to 3.4 Ghz 2x2 MB cache Bus 800 Boxed. Actually I do not play Game or woking with Graphics, just normal home user. Do you think it will make no differ?

A full list of compatible CPUs for your board can be found here:

http://www.asrock.com/support/CPU_Support/...el=K8NF4G-SATA2

Not sure about the Turion, so can't really say, have heard mobile CPUs work in desktop systems, dunno about this though.

As for Athlon over Sempron, biggest difference is Level2 Cache.

Semprons are either 128 or 256 L2 Cache.

Where as Athlon are 512 or 1MB L2 cache, the more cache, the faster/better basically.

I have the A64 3700+ with 1MB L2 Cache, superb Chip. Not a bad price either.

Hope that helps.

I dunno if they're even available in the Clawhammer variant. :}

They likely are all San Diego. Thus a BIOS flash likely is required for it to boot with one!

San Diego is the new single core process, which requires less Vcore than the Clawhammers.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

:huh:

256kB VS 512kB no, 256kB VS 1024kB yes...

Maybe for you, but made a difference for me.

It's how much u notice it, of course u will notice it more from 256 to 1024, but still a difference from 256 to 512.

hang on..........s754 has two different core A64's, one is the Newcastle core which is 512kb cache and the Clawhammer whitch 1mb, the one im going for is the Clawhammer even though the Newcastle is alot cheaper as they say, best bang for your buck !!

As for the turion im not going to bother with it.

Yeh, go for the 1MB L2 Cache one, I wouldnt go for anything lower now, which is why I aint getting some of the AMD dual cores, as they only do 512 most, if not all of them.

U may wanna check for a bios update, just incase.