Welcome to MSFN

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

jcarle

What's your internet connection like?

175 posts in this topic

65637529.png

I just thought it could be interesting if we compared internet connections. If you want to post your speed in this thread, please post using http://www.speedtest.net/ and copy-pasting the forum link. Thanks.

jcarle: videotron extreme? That's pretty much what I get with them too. Just discovered they've got an ever faster service (extreme plus - up to 20mbit), but either ways the extreme is fast enough, except for the upload, but then again the upload is hardly faster with the extreme plus (1mbit vs 900kbit) - and 80$/month is a little too much (I thought 65+tax was bad enough already).

Home

69602985.png

Just got an upgrade!! ;):whistle:

Work ;)

118863351.png

Edited by ringfinger

Mine must be the slowest!!!!!!!!! :realmad:

65644775.png

Wow! What kind of connection are you on?

Clavicle - ouch! a couple of teamed dial up connections might be better.

work:

65649733.png

Ohh... c'mon... didn't know work counted ;). I'll post mine tomorrow :D

jcarle didn't say which connection so I did both once I got logged onto my office system.

Home:

65183882.png

Work is like, 700KB/s.

Home, cable:

65656645.png

School

65667969.png

It could be faster by my dorm is wired with a 10mbit cat3 network.

jcarle didn't say which connection so I did both once I got logged onto my office system.

I know... its all good ;)

Wow! What kind of connection are you on?

My connection is a shared type over lan by my ISP. And my ISP has a total bandwidth of measely 4mbps. Consider this to be shared among more than a thousand users.

I tell you, I am a previliged customer so I get this much bandwidth others get only 64kbps.

Back here in India we are still in paleolithic age of internet speed.

Though I pay around 15USD a month for this but you don't have a choice.

@IcemanND, teamed up dialups are equally bad, one connection providing only 56kbps.

Catch you all guys up a few years later. :yes:

jcarle: videotron extreme? That's pretty much what I get with them too. Just discovered they've got an ever faster service (extreme plus - up to 20mbit), but either ways the extreme is fast enough, except for the upload, but then again the upload is hardly faster with the extreme plus (1mbit vs 900kbit) - and 80$/month is a little too much (I thought 65+tax was bad enough already).

Yea, 20Mbit is indeed the fastest Videotron offers BUT beware, 20Mbit does not offer unlimited bandwidth, there is a bandwidth cap and NO limit as to how much they can charge per extra GB. That's why I'm staying with Extreme 10Mbit, unlimited bandwidth.

Clavicle - ouch! a couple of teamed dial up connections might be better.

work:

65649733.png

Wow. OC3?

Edited by jcarle

Yea, 20Mbit is indeed the fastest Videotron offers BUT beware, 20Mbit does not offer unlimited bandwidth, there is a bandwidth cap and NO limit as to how much they can charge per extra GB. That's why I'm staying with Extreme 10Mbit, unlimited bandwidth.

That's totally retarded of them. That's got to be the stupidest plan they've got then (80$/month for a speed most servers on the internet can't deliver anyways - only to go faster through a monthly cap and owe even more). I picked the extreme too because of the ridiculously expensive $8/GB extra over the low cap.

Wow. OC3?

Nah, WAY too slow for an OC3. Looks like FiOS or such.

Wow. OC3?
Nah, WAY too slow for an OC3. Looks like FiOS or such.

Well, it could be SHARED OC3. :P

actually we have multiple internet connections. The connection that test was run on is part of a fiber link. With over 23000 devices connected in the last week and that doesn't include VOIP you gotta have something good.

Can't remember if it was OC-1 or OC-3 and they split the OC-3 amongst the separate VLANS. been too long since it happened.

67988919.png

Thats the fastest my line will allow. Too far from the exchange for faster ADSL Speeds and no cable in my area :(

Looking at HSDPA data price-plans now though.

Edited by Biohead

There's an OC-3c at work, and it goes up to ~130Mbps.

I'll post a result once everyone else leaves and I get the whole connection to myself :lol:

I would like to have better upload for p2p.

66128675.png

Edited by TheTOM_SK

Work, shared connection amoung other schools in our area:

66289866.png

****. Some of you have incredible upload speeds.