What's your internet connection like?

jcarle

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

275518212.png

Inexpensive DSL, rated 864/160. Only paying $18.95/month, no caps, no ads, no blocked ports. They've been reliable.

This is using an old Win98FE box, 366MHZ, equipped with a software firewall and Proxomitron. Running thru an even older PC (P5-133) converted to Smoothwall. With hardware this old, I'm quite happy with the performance.

Rick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Home: OptimumOnline.

77735380.png

Wish FiOS were in the neighborhood :(

Hmm, down from over a year ago, ping is better though; Cable Broadband though so its variable.

Time to run some more tests, check the connection and if necessary call the ISP! :realmad:

317502821.png

That's strange. It does the same thing as my VTel (vermontel.net) DSL connection does, (sometimes) the download drops while the upload stays roughly the same!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Home: OptimumOnline.

77735380.png

Wish FiOS were in the neighborhood :(

Hmm, down from over a year ago, ping is better though; Cable Broadband though so its variable.

Time to run some more tests, check the connection and if necessary call the ISP! :realmad:

317502821.png

That's strange. It does the same thing as my VTel (vermontel.net) DSL connection does, (sometimes) the download drops while the upload stays roughly the same!

Just ran it again, 1am Saturaday morning, and made sure nothing else was nothing else running behind the gateway.

319089481.png

Since it is a Cable connection the Downstream / Upstream bandwidth is shared amongst customers on the same node. Also it is an Asymmetric Connection meaning the Downstream/Upstream ratio is not 1:1. What is interesting is why they seem to affect each other, that is uploading decreases the download rate, instead of staying at the same ratio. I am not sure if that is a property of Asymmetric connections, Cable, the OS TCP/IP stack, some combination of those or other? Since the bandwidth from my ISP is variable it is difficult to figure this out.