vLite 0.7 beta - The Void

nuhi

One thing I've encountered, maybe it happened to someone else:

When removing Network Adapter Drivers, Vista won't let me install my own drivers. They actually install, but the device cannot be started. I have the nForce 2 network adapter. In my second try I kept network adapter drivers and everything went fine. 2 possibilities I come up: One, my network drivers are not Vista compatible (weird, because I use latest ones and if Vista ones are compatible, they must be on nVidia website ready for download) and two, there is some dependency there that break network adapter installation. I will kepp on trying with further vLite versions. Now enjoying Vista :)

One thing I've encountered, maybe it happened to someone else:

When removing Network Adapter Drivers, Vista won't let me install my own drivers. They actually install, but the device cannot be started. I have the nForce 2 network adapter. In my second try I kept network adapter drivers and everything went fine. 2 possibilities I come up: One, my network drivers are not Vista compatible (weird, because I use latest ones and if Vista ones are compatible, they must be on nVidia website ready for download) and two, there is some dependency there that break network adapter installation. I will kepp on trying with further vLite versions. Now enjoying Vista :)

I had some problems as well. But then I found out that nVidia discontinued nforce2 support for vista.

Google for: nforce2 vista discontinued

I use the standard vista drivers without any errors.

vLite 0.7 beta work fine for me, exepted WMP and explorer thumbnail view (of movies).

It seem that vLite cancel Mpeg1/2 codecs integrated with WMP.

If I reinstall Mpeg1/2 codecs and Vista codec pack, WMP and BSplayer are capable to play all movies.

And the explorer thumbnail view work again.

Thanks for your hard work on this piece of sofware !!

Here my preset :

; vLite preset file

[information]Version = 0.7 beta on 2.0.50727.312 Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6000.0

Target = Windows Vista ULTIMATE 32bit

[Components]

;# Drivers #

Display adapters

Ethernet network adapters

Modems

Printers

Scanners

Sound controllers

;# Games #

Inbox Games

Premium Inbox Games

;# Hardware Support #

Fax Support

Smartcards

Windows Image Acquisition

;# Languages #

Japanese

Korean

Simplified Chinese

Traditional Chinese

;# Multimedia #

Media Center

Movie and DVD Maker

Screensavers

SideShow

Speech Support

Tablet PC

Wallpapers

Windows Media Samples

Windows Photo Gallery

Windows Sidebar and Gadgets

;# Network #

Connect to a Network Projector

Windows Collaboration

;# Services #

Error Reporting

Microsoft DFS Replication

Volume Shadow Copy

Windows Remote Management

Windows Search

;# System #

Accessibility

Help

Microsoft Agent

Security Center

Sync Center

System Restore

Welcome Center

Windows Backup

Windows Easy Transfer

Windows SAT

Zip Folder

[Options]

User Account Control (UAC) = Disabled

Hibernation = Off

[Protection]

The winbeta version (x86 and x64) DOES work, but you have to do a little trick:

right before you make the ISO file or burn directly, copy all the contents with the original directory structure into vlite's target directory. you effectively use the target dir as root for the new DVD but you keep the original structure of the winbeta DVD. since vlite will include everything in that folder, you will have a modified winbeta DVD - if you modded both installations and the size stays below 4,4 GB. Tried it, it works 100%

Edited by pedrohsi

it's easy to fit vlited vista on a cd

just remove support, upgrade & sources dir (except boot.wim and install.wim)

i tried this and vista installed and worked fine

and i have problem with vmware (ver. 5.5.0 build 18463)

vista installer says it cant find cd\dvd drivers (or something like that) and so i cant install it

does anyone know what to do? :(

Edited by Yuki Kajiura

Hi nuhi,

a particular issue that i found:

When running on Vista-32:

1. vLite starts

2. I browse to vista folder

3. it starts analysing something

4. immediately crash & OS restarts.

fix: NONE

When running on XP64:

1. vLite starts

2. I browse to vista folder

3. it starts analysing something

4. immediately error dialog, about Microsoft.System.Xml

fix: dont use mini-frameworks or framework-lite 2.0r3 -----> install the proper dotnetfx-x64-2.0

When running on XP (32bit, with SP2):

1. works fine.

reason: ryanvm's dotnet 2.0 switchless installer works only here.

The above issue seems to be related to xml parsing.

I fixed one of those myself, & posted the solution here for others that might have same problem.

But i wonder why it still has problems on Vista32?

prathapml, I have a problem...can't reproduce that BSOD and I know it's true in rare cases because one other person reported it too.

Do you maybe have any pointers?

Or maybe someone else got the same issue? BSOD on image selection.

Hi nuhi, i will report back with any more info i can find, when i run vLite again.

But till then dont worry, you've done a superb job on this app! :)

I ran it on XP-32bit & got a perfect vista already, so it will be a loooo-o-ong time before i run it again.

vLite 0.7 beta work fine for me, exepted WMP and explorer thumbnail view (of movies).

It seem that vLite cancel Mpeg1/2 codecs integrated with WMP.

If I reinstall Mpeg1/2 codecs and Vista codec pack, WMP and BSplayer are capable to play all movies.

And the explorer thumbnail view work again.

I'm facing the same problem atm, however all attempts to get WM11 to accept an xvid codec afterwards have

failed. Koepi, K-lite, ... doesn't seem to matter what I install, WM11 will not find the codec.

Any suggestions on how I can force this ? If not which vlite option triggered this, disabled media center or

movie and DVD maker ?

Another issue I was facing is the disabling of security center. After installing the standard software and rebooting

I think windows wanted to show me some sort of security warning, which lead to a 5 min windows lockup

followed by a warning on black background "Security center unable to create window ..." or similar. System

would not respond after that. I had to re-install with the option turned back on. I'm running a dutch OS btw.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.