Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

What vista do that XP can not do

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

MGadAllah

MGadAllah

Brain Voice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I've not tried vista yet
I've put a lot of time on XP regarding learning, tweaks, ...etc
So does vista deserve a try or on other words What vista do that XP can not do?
Flash and animated signatures and avatars are not permitted.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

uvmain

uvmain

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts
■right click on a network share - map network drive
■idividually change the volume of any app from the audio mixer
■install raid drivers from HDD/USB/Anything during setup!
■process manager shows process's location, description, and has a *much* better resource monitor
■amount of free space etc shown on mapped drives
■*huge* thumbnails.. useful for my photo's folder
■translucent gui - not just the obvious explorer blur - install sisoft sandra to see a good example :)
■really nice preview icons for avi's.. xp had this, but they're ultra hi-res in vista :P
■ever seen the 'genie' effect when minimizing in OSX? Vista has something similar, but more toned down. effective, but not over the top.
■seems to boot equally as quick as my xp install, which is nLite'd to the max!

I'm liking it so far, just wish nVidia would release some comparable drivers to xp!

Deman

Deman

Junior

• Pip
  • 58 posts
Here's a few more
  • Help files actually stepping you through the process (not telling you where to click but showing you)
  • Able to see what programs you regularly run at particular times and then prepare things so it starts quicker
  • There's no more sluggishness once it comes out of sleep/hybernation (I'm told anyway)
  • Dumps graphics management on the graphics card, not the CPU
  • Finally introduces raise priviledge level linux (and Mac?) users enjoy. Dubbed User Account Control
  • There's parental control including control over what Games can be played (R16 not allowed or whatever)
  • Fast User Switching now available for Domain users
  • ReadyBoost and ReadyDrive (basically speaking enables Windows to dump some cache in Flash instead of the HDD to speed things up)
  • Internet Explorer 7 runs in protected mode, apparantly it means it has as much rights to the O/S as say Firefox would
  • Windows Backup has been given a proper overhaul and made much more powerful and easy to use (uses imaging etc)
  • Instant search, far far quicker than XPs
Vista x64 contains
  • PatchGuard preventing programs from patching the kernel
  • Address space layout randomizer, ensures system files load at random memory locations instead of being loaded to the same location (Good defense against attackers)
There are loads of changes, this time it really is the biggest release since Windows 95. And so it should be, they took long enough.
You can read more into it here :)

MGadAllah

MGadAllah

Brain Voice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Actually your answers encourage me to keep using XP for my home computer, here is what I used to remove using nLite. Just check the picture.
Thanks

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,026 posts
....and all the good, nice and useful enhancement listed above come to you for just a few hundred bucks, and only about 5 or 6 Gigabytes of disk occupation.... :whistle:

jaclaz

MGadAllah

MGadAllah

Brain Voice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

about 5 or 6 Gigabytes of disk occupation.... :whistle:
jaclaz

This is another reason that let me stick to XP, I really do want to save space in useful things. Beside for a home or a single user like me I believe in XP till now so far.

Marthax

Marthax

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
Hey, I'm not alone. :hello: Vista = :thumbdown
"Wisdom outweighs any wealth." - Sophocles

steviewonder

steviewonder

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
Windows Vista Rocks for security reasons, but i had to build
a pc for about 2500 dollars that will run it good.

Unlike XP, which any hacker can modify your files, Vista has file modification protection,
even in Admin mode. Idea derived from Unix command SU.

So if you want to keep letting hackers share your WIndows XP with you,
including uploading your files, keep using XP.

I remember when windows 95 was hated also, and we see now how
dumb that was, as win 95 was the beginnig, but mosty Windows NT 3.51 was the new beginnings.

Get with the new era of software design. :thumbup

Edited by steviewonder, 14 December 2006 - 02:43 PM.

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,250 posts
Win95 was a very hated OS - and now most people will say that Win95 (or Win98) was the best OS produced by Microsoft. How time changes things...
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

MGadAllah

MGadAllah

Brain Voice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

How time changes things...

every thing changed by time, even human :whistle:

kartel

kartel

Cartel Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by kartel, 15 December 2006 - 12:38 AM.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX (BIOS 1208) AMD Phenom II X6 1090T G.Skill F3-10666CL7-4GBXH 16GB Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 HT Omega Claro Plus Windows 7 x64 ADSL 6Mbps APC Back UPS XS1000 CPU validated GPU validated

Link21

Link21

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Win95 was a very hated OS - and now most people will say that Win95 (or Win98) was the best OS produced by Microsoft. How time changes things...

Most people wouldn't say that. The only people who would say that are the Windows 98SE fanatics who blindly believe that Windows 98SE is better than Windows 2000 and Windows XP, when in reality it is significantly worse than Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

The upgrade from Windows XP to Vista I don't think is as big as some people are making it out to be. It is no where near as big as the upgrade from POS Windows 98/ME to good quality XP or at least 2000.

The upgrade from Windows 98/ME to XP for home consumers was as big as an upgrade as it was from MAC OS 9 to MAC OS X. Another words, both weren't just an upgrade, they were a change to a completely different whole new operating system.

Vista is still the next version of Windows NT based operating systems. There are some decent changes to it, but I don't think it is one of the biggest upgrades Microsoft has ever released of all time. It is a bigger change than from 2000 to XP, but no where near the change from NT 4 to 2000, let alone the largest change for home consumers from 98/ME to 2000 /XP.

Edited by Link21, 16 December 2006 - 10:47 AM.

Windows 98/ME will die the painful death they deserve for being such POS operating systems. They should have never been made!!

OS/2 WARP was beyond light years ahead of and so much better than POS Windows 98/ME!! Even Windows NT 3.1 was light years ahead of POS Windows 98/ME.

Windows 98/ME aren't even real 32-bit operating systems. They are pseudo 32-bit code on top of a native 16-bit architecture!!

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted Image

Maybe but that takes 44% of your 2.2GHz processor. :lol:

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,250 posts
Well, x64 by default keeps unsigned drivers from loading, making the system more stable. Patchguard is pretty nice as well.
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

dAbReAkA

dAbReAkA

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted Image

that's his memory usage.. it takes 18% of his CPU though..

jaws75

jaws75

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Doesn't the Aero display run off the gpu rather then the cpu. So his cpu usage is probably from another app running. Whenever I use the flip3D my cpu usage doesn't elevate.

on a different thought...
I would like to see MORE enhancements use MORE cpu usage. Why have a 2.4Ghz or 3.0Ghz if the thing never goes beyond 10%. Max it out baby. Show me what you can do.
:D

MGadAllah

MGadAllah

Brain Voice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
It looks like as if MS wants to let Hardware vendors keep work on the market, because vista has high hardware requirements to start with

Marthax

Marthax

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
The worst thing is that it affects your computer's performance by for example degrading your overall performance when gaming.

Edited by Marthax, 16 December 2006 - 05:52 PM.

"Wisdom outweighs any wealth." - Sophocles

kartel

kartel

Cartel Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
aero shuts itself off when doing 3d, like when you update your performance score
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX (BIOS 1208) AMD Phenom II X6 1090T G.Skill F3-10666CL7-4GBXH 16GB Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 HT Omega Claro Plus Windows 7 x64 ADSL 6Mbps APC Back UPS XS1000 CPU validated GPU validated

kartel

kartel

Cartel Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
Its pretty good on resources

Posted Image

Posted Image

dAbReAkA

dAbReAkA

• PipPip
  • 196 posts
kartel, that's with superfetch disabled, right? :) there's no way u can get that by default :)

Woomera

Woomera

MSFN Fan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
well the truth is that i dont listen to what other people says.i like to test things my own and see if i like them and about vista..im currently using it at this moment im posting and im really satisfied.
why u people think that cause it needs high cost hardware its a worthless os? have u guys tried installing it on a pc with 512mb ram(xp needs the same!) and geforce 5200 or 2.4 Ghz cpu? i did and let me tell u IT WORKS FINE! its just that if u have more money then u have more fun and i dont see anything wrong with that as long as it runs on lower hardwares too(like it does now).
and vista is not only about gui
Posted Image
and who says vista ultimate price is high? when u no more need to buy third party softwares like firewall or norton ghost or even firefox(what does it have that ie7 doesnt?).acdsee pfff please why not MS photo gallery?
wanna make a dvd? why buy a third party? wanna see whats goin on on your windows? use sysinternals tools.(u can find them on microsoft.com) onlu thing remains is a good AV like kaspersky.
and BTW i love vista gui.why not enjoy my time behind the monitor with the cool gui? :sneaky:

Edited by fatalwoomera, 17 December 2006 - 04:13 AM.

r3al1ty

r3al1ty

• 26 posts
Firefox is free by the way - and there are many third party applications that can do the same job as good, or even better than MS's - for FREE.

BrainDrain

BrainDrain

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
I personally like the Flip slideshow feature in Windows Vista. I also like the whole "Preview images in folder on folder thumbnail" idea, it is awesome for my photo album.

As for Flip3d in Vista, try out TopDesk (Google it), which does something similar to replicating it on Windows XP. The trial is great.

I personally don't download anything that's not with Windows unless there is some benefit... WinAmp and Firefox for example.

This is my Alt+Tab now:
Posted Image

Edited by BrainDrain, 17 December 2006 - 04:35 AM.

MGadAllah

MGadAllah

Brain Voice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

at this moment im posting and im really satisfied

What is your Hardware?

firefox(what does it have that ie7 doesnt?

This is a different story, do you have enough time to list FF advantages? ;)

acdsee pfff please why not MS photo gallery? wanna make a dvd? why buy a third party? wanna see whats goin on on your windows? use sysinternals tools.(u can find them on microsoft.com) onlu thing remains is a good AV like kaspersky.

XP has Paint & viewer and a built-in writer tool, but I do not know what more features vista built-in tool has

BTW i love vista gui.why not enjoy my time behind the monitor with the cool gui? :sneaky:

there are dozens of lovely XP themes that let you enjoy your stay too ;)

Edited by MGadAllah, 17 December 2006 - 07:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN