Install from Dos gets stuck.

bigstusexy

Whenever I try to install from the commandline the isntall always gets stuck, also . It hangs at the copying files part on drivers.cab I believe. It doesn't matter if the files come from a network share or from another local disk (internal or external) it will just hang at that part, I can quit or exit but still can't finish the install. The files are correct and readable, even if I start the install and point at the files on a CD it will not finish, boot from the CD and let it autorun and its fine.

Anywone know whats up? I'm using the autoanswer files so the install is just like the run from the CD.

Is your "autoanswer file" named winnt.sif or unattend.txt? If you aren't sure, try renaming WINNT.SIF to Unattend.txt and load setup from command line again.

Both files are located in the i386 folder.

Edited by Speeddymon

its winnt.sif, I used the correct command lines to point to it as winnt.sif. Do you think renaming it will make a difference?

Absolutely.

Quote from the Windows XP SP2 Deployment CHM:

"Although the answer file for Setup is commonly called Unattend.txt, for a network preinstallation you can name the file anything you like. For a CD-based Setup, you must name the answer file Winnt.sif."

So technically, it can be named anything, however I think it is looking for files that are specific to the CD when it's named winnt.sif