I can install winxp sp1 but sp2 is not installable!

Delphianrex

hi :hello:

i dont not what kind of problem it is???? :blink:

when i install windowsXP sp2 on my computer it formats the drive and copies the essential files on it without any prolem but after it restarts the computer, while the windows logo is being showed the progress bar shows the progress but once it stops moving and the computer hangs :(

but the interesting part of the story is here that when i install windowsxp SP1, it doesnt accur .so windows installs properly. and the more interesting part is here that the preceding os which was installed on it was Windows XP SP2!!!!! :unsure:

plz guide me how can i resolve this strange problem :thumbup

I'm not sure what your problem is, but I only install SP2 as it has SP1 in it already. before I made a slipstreamed SP2 CD, I just formatted the hard drive and installed windows, then put in a SP2 I had burned to CD beforehand and then installed all my other drivers afterwards.

another method I used before I had a CD burner, was to format and install window. only install my NIC driver to get online and just run windows update repeatedly and have it install it for me. then when all the updates were done, then I'd install all my other drivers.

Hope this helps.

-=Mark=-

It formats your drive? This is wrong for starters.

Lets be clear here.You say that you install XP then install SP1 and its ok.

But are you installing XP first?, then installing SP2 over it? Or are you using an XP CD with SP2 already on it?

I'll assume you're using an XPCD with SP2 and doing a default install from the start

Are you sure it hangs and is not just working hard in the background?

Are there any drivers you can install at setup (press F6) for the disk drive?

Do you have more than 1 graphics card? If you have onboard graphics and also, say, and AGP card, which one is the monitor plugged into?

I had a situation where i had both onboard and AGP and had my AGP plugged into the monitor. It started off using the AGP and i could see the beginning of the install but during driver loading it defaulted back to the onboard and the screen just showed the windows logo. It actually had installed all the way up to the language prompts but i didn't know it til i switched the cables over

Don't know if any of this helps.... :blink: