The Windows Room

I want to create a room with every OS on a different computer

but i need to know the max specs for each one

graphics cards, monitor,sound card,ram,cpu,hard drive etc...

so far i have all disk except NT4/2003/Vista that won't be a problem

getting them. Then i will work on asking for a service pack for each one including

tweaks/hack/patches etc...

1st thing 1st i need to know the Maxium Specs for each OS.

Mods when you get a chance can you move this to software

because i'm targeting all system not just Win98SE

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

max specs?

anyway

the fastest computer i have seen nt4 run on was an intel desktop board with a p4 1.7 256mb ram and an nvidia tnt2 32mb i think.

NT4 is sort of horible to for drivers and you need to install atlest service pack 4 before you can have it recognise hdd's over 8gb and i would assume it doesnt support 48bit lba.

77.72 nvidia driver was released for nt4 sp6 which probably includes the highest video card of choice,

besides you dont need a video card which has lots of ram because nt4 only comes with directx 3 (you can have dplay 6.1).

nvidia drivers

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winnt_77.72.html

nt4 service pack 6a

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

edit: the nt4 windows update site still works

Edited by awergh

so far i have all disk except NT4/2003/Vista that won't be a problem getting them

Just out of curiosity, do you also have - or it won't be a problem to get - FULL licenses for all of them (OEM wouldn't be good, otherwise you should already have the hardware)....? :whistle:

jaclaz

Rather than having 9 computers, it could be done on 3 with dual/multiboot setups.

95a/b/c and NT on one machine.

98/SE/ME/2000 on another.

XP/2003/Vista on a third.

This would still give you the best hardware for each system.

It could probably be done on just one machine with a little compromising in the hardware stakes. Vista might be the one exception.

so far i have all disk except NT4/2003/Vista that won't be a problem getting them

Just out of curiosity, do you also have - or it won't be a problem to get - FULL licenses for all of them (OEM wouldn't be good, otherwise you should already have the hardware)....? :whistle:

jaclaz

Are you trying to say if i have legit copys or not

yes every copy of Windows i have so far are legit not OEM but full versions

bought with my hard earned money

i don't support bootlegs but do you?

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Well, no, I have my software (Win2K) legal, rest assured.

I was actually talking about the won't be a problem getting them as referred to "disk" rather than "license".

If the "no problem" is instead referred to license, I do however envy you.

Everyone has of course his own metods of measurement, for me finding a NT4 License on sale, say $50, plus spending about $160 for a Server 2003 license, plus (probably) $399 for Vista Ultimate, sum up, including package, postage and handling to an estimated $630 problem. :blink:

jaclaz

Well, no, I have my software (Win2K) legal, rest assured.

I was actually talking about the won't be a problem getting them as referred to "disk" rather than "license".

If the "no problem" is instead referred to license, I do however envy you.

Everyone has of course his own metods of measurement, for me finding a NT4 License on sale, say $50, plus spending about $160 for a Server 2003 license, plus (probably) $399 for Vista Ultimate, sum up, including package, postage and handling to an estimated $630 problem. :blink:

jaclaz

:|...where can u get a server 2003 lic for 160? and is that SBS? or web? or wat

You can readily do NT4/2000/XP/2003/vista on a single box (done this). You can add something like PC-DOS 6.3 and Windows 98SE or ME to the kit as well. Here goes.

The boot disk should be less than 137 GB = 128 GiB, because of bios problems not fixed until XP2.

You should create partitions as follows. You should use different sizes, because this may be all you have to see in fdisk.

c:\	 fat16	496 MB		dos 6.22 + win3.1  
= bootmgr 7 MB OS/2 boot manager
d:\ fat16 496 MB data (work around a DOS bug)
e:\ fat32 1 GB win98SE works here
f:\ hpfs 2 GB OS/2 here.
f:\ ntfs 1 GB WinNT 4 (service pack 6a + fixes)
g:\ ntfs 4.1 GB Win2K
h:\ ntfs 4.2 GB WinXP
i:\ ntfs 8 GB Win2K3
j:\ ntfs 16 GB Vista.
[] ntfs 20 GB install partition (ie dir for copying software installs)

r:\ ram disk 8 MB
s:\ cdrom 1
t:\ cdrom 2

If you get hold of bootpart.exe from http://www.winimage.com/ you can pretty much install in any order. You also need something like the 2k3 versions of ntldr + ntdetect.com on the c-drive, along with a batch to copy the stuff to the root directory.

NT4 must be primed. Look at www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t82169.html for the guide here. It needs to be in the first 8 GB. I normally give it 1 GB.

W2K/XP will generally install as desired. It can go anywhere. I normally give it 4 GB, eg 4.10 GB for W2K and 4.20 GB for XP.

W2K3 will generally go anwhere. I normally give it 8 GB

Vista normally gets 16 GB, anywhere.

DOS 6.x should see the c:\ drive, and prehaps the d:\ drive.

NT4/2K/XP/2K3 all use ntldr + ntdetect.com as loaders, although an earlier version will not load a later windows. You can load DOS 6.x and Windows 9x into this start menu with bootpart.exe

Vista uses a new boot-loader, "bootmgr". It regards NT4/2K/XP/2K3 as legacy systems, while DOS, OS/2, Win98 are not. You can do certain hacks to bring XP, 2K3 to the front page, but not nt4/2k.

OS/2 requires its own boot manager in a separate primary partition (6 MB is plenty). You set this to zero-time out, and get bootpart to create a bootsector that boots that partition. You can boot bartpe this way too.

The ramdrives can be set using (for dos), XMSDSK, for OS/2, place the driver first after a RESERVELETTERS=Q in config.sys, and for other systems, use ARAMDISK, which allows you to set the drive.

The cdroms can be configured by DOS by the MSCDEX /L:S in autoexec.bat, in OS/2, as for ramdisks, and for Windows systems, in the ramdrive.

If you set W2k up properly, and then install the rest from there, you need only configure the system once, because a file migrate.inf ought be set up in the directory c:\$win_nt$.~BT.

Use a batch file like, to set the windows drive icon to a win-flag + drive icon (most versions of Windows) - it does not work in NT4. It makes it clear what drive your disk is on.

for /F "usebackqdelims=: " %%f in ('%systemdrive%') do set sysdrv=%%f
set hkey=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
set hkey=%hkey%\DriveIcons\%Sysdrv%\DefaultIcon
echo %hkey%
reg add "%hkey%" /f /ve /t reg_expand_sz /d "%%Systemroot%%\system32\shell32.dll,39"
set sysdrv=

An alternate is to create another small partition, and under it, create directories like 1381, 2195, 2600, 3790, and 6000, and then proceed to remount un-used windows partitions in these folders, eg p:\1381 is where f:\ is mounted.

Wendy

Wow, too complicated for my liking Wendy. Much simpler if you use a third party bootmanager.

95a/b/c and NT on one machine.

98/SE/ME/2000 on another.

XP/2003/Vista on a third.

wouldnt work

It works alright but I was never trying to maximise the hardware for each OS. Why do you say it won’t work awergh?

Please excuse my slightly off-topic request. I would like to install Win98SE, Server2003 and Linux (K/Ubuntu, openSUSE or similar) all on a 160GB HDD [...]

[EDIT]

As suggested by McTavish below, I posted my request in this thread. I welcome whoever may offer some help on the matter. Thank you.

Edited by Drugwash

I'll through my 2 cents in here... stay away from Win95A and B. A doesn't support FAT32 at all and B has FAT32 support but lacks USB support plus there is the infamous OSR2 bug that disables dual boot to older operating system (if you plan on using MS-DOS with Win3.1). At least with C you can use FAT32 volume and has USB support. Apply the unofficial patch that reactivates dual boot (I have W95BOOT.ZIP or the OSR2FIX.EXE if you want them.)

I don't think you'll run all versions of 95, are you? It was Win95, Win95a OSR1, then Win95b OSR2 (FAT32 Support but not you can't go back to MS-DOS since it only works with FAT16), Win95c OSR2.1 and OSR2.5 (USB support). If you want them all to see each others files on the same PC without tweaks or addons I'd recommend you make One 2gb FAT16 partitions to have all your boot files on.

Install MS-DOS 6.22 first if you plan on using it. Not sure if it'd be better to install NT 4 before or after 98SE.

C:\ = MS-DOS (if you want it... NT 4.0 doesn't understand FAT32 for it's boot drive), 2GB FAT16

C:\ = Win95c (installed after MS-DOS)... Apply either above patch. 2GB FAT16 Test it

D:\ = Win98SE (Windows 98 is smart enough to know that Win95 is installed, maybe?) FAT32 (untried it may screw up)

E:\ = WinNT 4.0 (you may have to rerun the patch with w95boot -NT switch), 4GB NTFS or 2GB FAT16

(4GB FAT16 partition with 64kb cluster size or format disk as 8GB NTFS before installing NT 4.0 O/S)

F:\ = Windows 2000 NTFS OR FAT32

G:\ = Windows XP NTFS OR FAT32

H:\ = Windows 2003 NTFS OR FAT32

I'm guessing this might work. I could be wrong. As far as drivers go... good luck with NT 4.0.

http://brianlivingston.com/windowmanager/a...st/980119bl.htm

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:l5EiI...=clnk&cd=17

http://www.thenakedpc.com/tugpcs/extras/osr2.faq.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224526I

http://www.e-tech.net/~pbetti/mirrors/gaby...n3x/osr2fix.exe

http://www.ing-steen.se/share/pcprog/win/app/w95boot.zip

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/c...ps/11-8-99.mspx