hotfix slipstream script v2

@Spheris

NTDLL...oh yeah! Thanks for the info, I'll change the script later tonight.

No , I wouldn't leave the hotfixes out of svcpack. I think that's been mentioned elswhere as a way to speed-up installation but I don't agree with it.

@greenmachine

Right-ho thanks, it's about the same time then, that's good enough for me I say. I'm not sure whether to remove or comment-out 'hotfix 2' form 'RHSM' altogether with all the problems mentioned. Pretty coloured icons are for girls anyway, surely? :)

@Spheris: I'm definitely for leaving the hotfixes in for the reasons you stated. That is what I was trying to say HERE. Can't remember who suggested removing them, but it looks kind of dubious to do so. I am considering extracting them into I386, but not including them in the svcpack.inf, and running them from CMDLINES.TXT instead. Or both. Just a thought. Anything other than NTDL.DLL that we should watch out for?

@RoyalBox: Are you saying I just need a few more colored icons to get more girls? Does that work better than the golf course? Where do I sign! ... I will leave the type 2 code in my version, just not sure I will include any type 2s. I'm after an automated solution, not an id***-proof solution.

as it stands right now

all the type ones are working in the svcpack dir

only 2 of the type twos are verified for a non running system

Q330994.EXE

Q822925.EXE

the mdac remains problematic as some of the dlls do not register succesfully from a guisetup

best to be installed at guirunonce

as for unpacked dlls, ntdll is the only existing one for now

the rest accounted for in the current hql list are compressor pack compatible

but ntdll is called at txtxmode

so if its compressed, it will default to the normal one and not unpack as it is in memory at runtime.

Now we're getting somewhere: I'm batting at least 500, I use only these type 2 hotfixes in the slipstream:

KB814078 (Might have been JS56NEN.EXE)

Q327405 (Might have been HH_somethingoranother.EXE)

Q330994 (As you mentioned - looks like an IE/OE update)

Q822925 (Also something IE like)

Any clues on the first two?

only 2 of the type twos are verified for a non running system

To eliminate any double negative type confussion, I assume you mean that the 2 listed hotfixes are OK to slipstream.

Thanks.

I updated the script to fix the ntdll.dll problem thanks to Spheris. I Wasn't sure if you could move/copy a file to two destinations at once in the same line of code. So I did two (well why not, lets splash out a bit). I also ditched compress.exe in favour of makecab.exe. I tried this originally but couldn't get it to work for some reason but I saw Sunil's post and thought I'd try again as compress.exe from 2003 reskit won't work as I need it to and I believe everone has makecab.exe already (is that right?) I haven't burn't a cd and installed with it yet, but I can't see there being a problem with it. If there is, please do tell.

1 step forward, 2 steps back. I've abandoned makecab.exe and am using compress.exe again. Makecab renames the files to today's date and doesn't check if file is newer or not. compress.exe from 2003 reskit needs a slightly different code to run it. I've left the old version in until I can come up with something better.

@mahowi

I don't know where it came from now it was so long ago! I'm sure it was together with cabarc and extract. I could change the code to make the new version work but anyone using the old version would find it stopped working for them. I could make a choice where you enter which one you have but then it gets too complicated and messy. I want to keep the script small and easy. I've been trying to find a freeware replacement for it but without luck so far. I thought makecab was the answer until I discovered it changes the file date to the current date which makes checking for newer versions of a file unreliable. The reason I used zx21 by the way is that it gives files the same compression as the original files on the cd (comparing the same file versions of course), so I assume this is what microsoft used.

Try downloading the current version of my script, that will help until I sort out what to do (!).

I've posted an updated version. I changed the code a bit here and there and added some messages while the work is taking place so you can see what's going on. Any problems or improvements please post here. Thanks.

By the way, I've remembered where I got compress.exe from. It was from the wincdman script. This does a similar thing plus makes an iso and burning etc. I originally tried to extract the code for the hotfix bit but it was too intergrated and quite confusing and didn't seem to work properly so I gave up and started from scratch.

Hello, i tried ur script aswell it also gives me the tmp error. as follows:

'tmp\$tmp$.cmd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

Could Not Find C:\Documents and Settings\sevaxmnn\Desktop\work\royalfix\tmp\$tmp

$.cmd

i am running the script on a 2000 machine but that shudnt matter or? :)